“So That Wasn’t Very Easy” — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

by in Judges, July 20, 2014

Every week, Alton Brown is joining the Star Talk roster to talk about the most-recent elimination and the thoughts behind each difficult decision from the judges' perspective.

Click play on the video above to find out why Alton voted the way he did. (Spoiler alert: The latest finalist sent home is revealed in the video.)

“In the End, It Came Down to a Simple Question” — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

1. Linda says:

Luca is kinda boring. Loreal is too much costumes and acting. Nicole has it together. I could watch her. Lenny is wearing people out.

• Larry says:

well said

• CommonSense says:

He's (Lenny) wearing Alton out for sure. He wanted to send him off into the sunset on whatever he came riding in --

It appears he's hiking his leg up next episode and Alton shudders. Might just be editing though. I"m starting to want to watch him just to see how far he'll go and what weird shenanigan he'll come up with. Wouldnt watch his show but he's amusing to say the least.

2. Kit says:

I like Luca of the remaining contestants. I also liked the eliminated person but I can't disagree with the decision tonight. It was the only logical choice.

3. Lisa says:

Sarah is absolutely dreadful, how did she score the easier ingredients for her team? I will keep watching this show just to see her get eliminated! It seems like they're eliminating contestants that are better chefs then the remaining choices. Sarah can't cook a lick. Baby food? Now she is given a steak? Bah, she is rotten.

• Doreen says:

Easier ingredients? And just last week when it was harder everybody screamed about a Star doing something else and overcoming challenges. How soon we forget!

• Bill says:

Steak, Duck Breast, and Frog Legs VS. Sea Urchin, Langoustine and Mangalitsa Pork Loin. I think Lisa is right, Sarah's Team lucked into easier ingredients. I don't think Sarah could have cooked anything but the Steak. Unless there was babyfood...

• Lisa m. says:

Agreed. I don't see Sarah being able to cook anything else but that steak! So she proved she can cook a perfect piece of meat that most people can't mess up-- wow I'm impressed. Btw, I'm extremely annoyed with the judges who seemed to go googoo gaga just because she was able to come up with one dish proving she's from Texas. I think I'm more impressed with Luca -- his dish was more complex and his presentation was believable....I will be rooting for Lenny or Luca. As with many commentators here, I will never watch Sarah if she wins and it looks like this is show is leading us to believe she will win because you keep showing her stupid and backstabbing comments. She is a phony, baloney and shouldn't be given any more chances.

• CVeraS says:

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree, because I like Sarah as much as you dislike her, and we both feel we have valid reasons. I can't get too upset over a cooking show. We probably agree on one thing, it's fun to read others opinions. No matter who wins, I still get up every morning to take care of my family, go to work - and read this stuff when I get a spare moment!

• Gina says:

I admire your courage.

• Just Sayin says:

Yes Lisa. Sarah cant cook a lick.

Thus all those that ate her prepared meal at the table & commented on how good it was were.... liars.

i'm just sayin

• Jeannie says:

I agree, there is absolutely no way I would watch a show with Sarah. She is childish, snarky, and extremely boring. I don't know what the judges are thinking keeping her week after week.

• drj says:

They are hoping to keep he ratings up by inducing people who despise her to keep watching to see her comeuppance. Every year there seems to be one annoying jerk who hangs in almost to the bitter end. And people keep watching hoping to see his/her demise. FN is playing us like fish on a line.

• Tommy b says:

Sarah's big teeth annoy me to no end...

• Rita says:

I agree. She is getting by because of her prior beauty queen slots, but from what they have shown, she hasn't been able to cook anything good yet. The New Orleans guy was a good cook but didn't perform before the camera enough. Now Luca might make it.

• Buffy says:

I don't see her getting by because of being and ex-pageant winner. I don't see this in her. Christopher does have a nice camera persona, however, he gave the impression he does not want to present his knowledge to home cooks weekly. Christopher will move on to do something else, this program served o give him exposure.

• guest says:

Think again! How many 5 star reviews do you have?
      33 5-star reviews. http://fb.me/6DhL8NAF9

• Buffy says:

I cannot and will not compare myself to other people. I am watching this program and posting on this board. I will not follow the contestants on twitter, youtube, or any other social media in order to determine who they are or if I measure up to their standards. I don't understand why the contestants are allowed to speak out to explain that FN is not showing us in the best light, please understand..... really. FN is their employer at this time, it does not matter.
        Real talent shines in darkness. Real talent know how to take a bad situation and turn it around without pandering. The real information the contestants show place on the blogs is, "Taking acting lessons because it required if you want to be on FNS, otherwise, you will not come across as genuine to the viewing audience."
        I respect a person who owns who they are as an individual bad or good.

• Barb says:

I agree...she is horrible! Get her out!

4. Theresa says:

Nicole is the best. Great cooking and not over the top like Lenny. Go Nicole!

5. Ron says:

I think sending someone home from a team that had the only contestants that I would be interested in seeing have a show, just because they had some awful ingredients to work with, is a pitifully poor way to run this "contest". Sending one person home from a losing team while keeping someone less interesting or capable from the winning team, makes absolutely no sense.

• Jim says:

But there was no one less interesting or made worse food than Emma's team, they lost across the board in all aspects. Not to mention just really, really weird.

6. Dean says:

Penn chose Luca as the star, I agree!

• chef anne watcher says:

Rather than Penn acting as a guest judge, I would have preferred Bobby Flay's input on who did the best. He is the most level-headed among the judges, especially when the contestants actually have to cook a dish (as opposed to the silly videos they had to do). Also, Bobby is more open-minded about all genres of food and, as a highly successful Iron Chef, he knows his flavors well.

Luca's dish did look appetizing and I hope he doesn't have any more "meltdowns" - that would be the end of him. Hang in there, Luca, we know you can cook!

• guest says:

I agree that Bobby is the most level headed and should participate more,however I like an outside opinion of someone who does not work for the network. Oh how I wish I could taste the dishes myself,I think there is a lot to be said for the saying different strokes for different folks. What I may like my husband may not.

• chef anne watcher says:

At this point in the contest, I think it is more important for Bobby to be there as a judge. He has missed Luca's return and performances during the last 2 weeks and he needs to be on the judging panel, so there are no claims of unfairness/bias towards the finalists at this stage of the game.

We (the audience) have no idea what kinds of dishes Penn is partial to, or what foods are on the bottom of his "wish list". I have many food allergies, and I have to avoid them like the plague, so I must partial to proteins that I can eat. Chicken, crab, shrimp, as well as tomatoes can be deadly for me. Different strokes, indeed!

The fact that Penn's opinion that Luca was the star seems to show his preference for duck, and his story behind the dish. However, it is critical that the judges "get this right" and the only way to do so is to have The Mentors do the judging and not a guest providing his "outside opinion".

• Deb says:

Giada has too much power and let's being liked be toooo over-emphasized even though, yes, a star needs it. Alton just Wusses-out snd agrees with what Giada says too often. We need Bobby!

7. Emma Fan says:

Very disappointed in tonight's result. Emma was my favorite & I would watch her show. In my opinion, she had the best camera presence & her voice is unique & appealing.

8. Debbie Z says:

I would love to see Luca or Nicole win.

• Crouton40 says:

Nicole I can easily watch. Her food is good and she does a better job of taking whatever she's faced with and doing good with it. At least more so than quite a few others.
      Luca is doing well since returning from star salvation. I don't know yet if his nerves may get the better of him. While Lenny's cooking has been good before, I would say Luca had him beat, tonight. Next week being in New York on Rachel Ray's show would seem to be to Lenny's advantage so it will be interesting to watch which of these two edges out the other.

9. Betty Hazel says:

Tonight I think Lenny showed his true self. When shopping he referred to the team as his team. I also think he threw Emma under the bus knowing she was not familiar with meat. I think he is a phoney and would not watch him. Obnoxious is the word. He can be nasty.

10. Lois says:

I was sorry to see Emma eliminated. Too bad Sarah was able to acquire the easiest to prepare item. I am very surprised she managed not to ruin the steak. Sarah should have been gone long ago. She can't cook, she is very unpleasant, takes great pleasure in hearing another contestant criticized and has a major attitude if the criticism is directed at her. I think Nicole has improved considerably and Luca is most enjoyable to watch. Lenny can become a bit annoying.

• Just Sayin says:

Ahhh...the 'civil' Sarah-basher.

Refreshing.

But Beware! The Sarah Haters Club will fine you for not annihilating her with your words.

i'm just sayin

• Brad says:

That doesn't seem fair. Last week when Sarah didn't get beef because Chris had it, people had no problem saying, too bad. Make due. Overcome. Now that she has something in her element people act miffed she isn't having a more difficult time. Whatever's fair, eh?