“That’s Why It’s Called Food Network” — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

by in Judges, July 13, 2014

Every week, Alton Brown is joining the Star Talk roster to talk about the most-recent elimination and the thoughts behind each difficult decision from the judges' perspective.

Click play on the video above to find out why Alton voted the way he did. (Spoiler alert: The latest finalist sent home is revealed in the video.)

“In the End, It Came Down to a Simple Question” — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

1. Winneralreadydecided says:

I stopped watching this show 2 years ago because I felt that there were buzz words used to set the audience up for the person who was going to be sent home. Well tonight was the same. Was it the amount of tokens or was it because the food was not good? I am back to 2 years ago. No more watching this show. You guys have it in your minds who you have decided to be the winner.

• shannon says:

I have to agree that they knew who they were sending home. I knew Chris was done for in the first challenge his description was pretty good till giada would not shut up...he was "creamy,earthy,etc" all very good descriptions. Giada kept saying "why?" Then Emma comes up and says simply "buttery" and she got a pass..just sayin'.

• nashvilledeb says:

If you stopped watching this show 2 years ago, then why are you bothering to comment?

• FoodieNetwork says:

Maybe he wanted to give it another try to see if it improved? That would be logical, or is that too difficult for you to digest.

Food Network used to be a good channel to watch but it's now taken the path of so many other channels and doing more "reality TV". That's why they had to start the Cooking Channel so people could actually see people cook and give good descriptions of how they put a dish together. Problem is, not every cable provider offers the Cooking Channel.

• MoHub says:

Cooking Channel is Food Network Lite these days. Lots of travelogues and a competition or two, and a healthy dose of old Food Network reruns. Not many instructional programs outside of weekday afternoons.

• FoodieNetwork says:

Bummer. Would have expected more. Thought the Food Network stars that didn't pan out on FN wound up at Cooking Channel. Even some of the runners up. Guess they could do better with their own restaurant.

• Joann says:

I agree. I stopped watching the show when Alton Brown came on it.

• chef anne watcher says:

He's evolved into his Cut Throat Kitchen persona...He is not a "Mentor" and should be replaced next year.

2. Johnnie says:

Get rid of Sarah PLEASE!!!!!!!

• nashvilledeb says:

Amen to that! I'm SICK of her!!!

• Caro says:

Agreed - she is the most annoying contestant this season. Also, I live in TX, and she is full of nonsense about TX cuisine. Her hamburger was not cooked Texas-style. She comes across as annoying and no-nothing.

• Davey Pike says:

Who do you like best?

• hatersweargreen says:

i have absolutely NO idea why the panel didnt pick apart her performance this week. she did what she's been doing. "i'm from texas, and i made this food, and texas". the only saving grace was that it was friggin wagyu ribeye. guess what, it doesnt take a FNS star to make the best cut of meat on the continent taste good, especially when you get a 400$ portion for free.

I am genuinely worried the fix is in, because i think any legit competition panel would have sh*tcanned sarah a long time ago.

• C J says:

AMEND: What is Texas cooking, over a camp fire, Mexican, Sea food, Steaks, Pork any or all the above, Lamb Not so much. What is Texas cooking?

• HARLEAN says:

I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY

• Patti says:

I am right there with you! She should have been gone the first week!

• Robert says:

Johnnie - the problem is that the FN always has to put TWO or THREE finalists in the bottom if their performance isn't up to snuff and decide on only ONE to send home each week. That fact being said, if I had the time to do so, I'd have volunteered to be part of a focus group of judges and recommend sending both Chris and Sarah home this week or give Chris the nod over Sarah by just a THIN HAIR.
      And just for Sarah's information, regarding Texas cuisine, as of 2012 I am a Texas BBQ lover for life, thanks to Rudy's BBQ in Spring Village north of Houston. Some day, I will promote it as a FNS hopeful.

• Marsha Mitchell says:

Amen. We spend more time listening to Sarah put everyone else down. Makes it hard to hear what the other contestants are saying.

3. Kel says:

Sarah is absolutely unlikable and her food is uninteresting. All she does is whine and make obnoxious comments. Do the producers REALLY think people will watch her show? She's awful!!

• Megan says:

You are ignoring that just last week Bobby Flay told Sarah that she absolutely killed it! If she's awful, who do think is best? What do you like about that person?

• chef anne watcher says:

But that was LAST week...Bobby wasn't there last night, when she was whining about Chris taking all of the beef. She wore that tiara when she did her promo...nobody wanted to eat the Beauty Queen's food. I wonder how Bobby would have reacted? I think Snarky Sarah will be gone next Sunday...

• MoHub says:

I suspect Sarah may be being kept for the final three to ensure the viewers don't make her the winner. Hence the in-your-face editing of her bitching about everything. I think she' been set up to lose in the viewer vote to make way for Luca or Lenny.

After all, we have no idea how many snarky comments others made that did not make the airwaves. Not that I'm apologizing for Sarah; don't care for her as well.

• FNS Lover says:

"All she does is whine and make obnoxious comments." Hmm, that reminds me of something. Oh yeah- practically every regular commentor. EVERYTHING is already decided except who will win. You know this. Yet you make mean comments about everyone expecting that FN will record a show all over again. I actually like Sarah. She has shown growth over the pageant girl she was in the first episode and she was amazing in the commercial challenge.

• Darlene says:

I suspect that those who want to get rid of Sarah want Luca or Emma. But they won't tell you that. After they get rid of Sarah, these same people will then go after Loreal as she is competition too.

• Buffy says:

FN network can use trick photography to edit the changed winner.

• Sheri Scott says:

Johnnie and Kel...How did Sarah get this far? One reason is that this year's contestants were all unsuitable, either because they couldn't cook or because they were unlikeable personalities. I would have gotten rid of Sarah in the first round. Then Loreal in the second.

• guest111 says:

What is your favorite genre of food?
        Who would you like to see win?
        Naaah, I didn't really think you'd answer anyway.

• Jen says:

None of the contestants are really that great but I would watch Emma's show. I like her POV since I cook fresh and garden. I like her look, voice and stories. She seems like a fun girl next door, very likable.
          Now that she is gone, I do not care who wins as long as it is not Sarah.

• kaprile says:

I agree. Sarah is so phony and is always putting down the other contestants. I wouldn't watch her show. Not sure whose show I would. I really haven't liked a finalist since Guy Fieri. Sorry!
      I would agree that it seems the network knows who they want to win. They give them the better ingredients, better scenarios, etc. Comments are inconsistent too.

• guest777 says:

Awful? So, who is GOOD? That's a fair question.

• Sheri Scott says:

No one is good. I keep thinking about how good contestants were the years when Guy, Melissa and Arti won. Start with contestants who can cook and who have at least a bit of CLASS.

• Mike says:

Start with contestants that can cook? Good idea but then you'd have to replace Giada as a judge and Alton, too, because he'll just agree with what Giada says. They are too personality and not enough cooking.

• chef anne watcher says:

Who is good? I'll bite...The best remaining contestants who can cook well are: Lenny, Emma, Nicole, and Luca.
        Sarah has blown her cooking segments moreso than the others, and Loreal (the Butcher Babe) really blew it when she didn't season the ribeye (episode 5) and she just threw it on the grill - that was a huge mistake, given her "expertise"!
        So, for me, Sarah and Loreal should be the next ones to go (and I don't like either one of them, nor would I watch their shows if either one won). After that, the remaining contestants can battle it out, and the cream will rise to the top.

4. Bored to tears says:

Worst season! This is so boring! Isn't this supposed to be a cooking show? All I know so far is they can make a U tube video, a commercial with ridiculous props, describe food cooked by someone else, etc. Bring back the cooking ....

And why is Giada so cranky this season?

Feel bad for these contestants ... It is obvious that the judges have favorites ...

Just sayin'.

• Annette says:

I know what you mean boring, I have not really seen any real cooking so far.

• Myra says:

I stopped watching, I'm just checking into the blog occasionally out of morbid curiosity. They never select the person I think should win, and this year they have completely lost touch with their viewers. They have lost touch with reality. What the heck are they thinking?

5. Robert says:

Well, folks, this was yet another week in which we have TWO finalists at the very bottom, Chris and Sarah, yet SARAH was judged worthy of advancement. If the FN wants to consider having a focus group of judges, then I'll volunteer for it. My message for Sarah is define WHAT KIND of Texas cuisine represents her POV, how she can deliver on it and why I should believe her. I was in Spring, Texas in February 2012 and visited a Triple D-esque BBQ joint there - Rudy's BBQ, whose food and approach to excellence won me over in SECONDS. They have a Texas-size market full of their goodies to go. If I were to live there, I'd promote this cuisine = NOW.

• guest2 says:

Why should she have to limit things to one city or county in Texas? She has lived in three cities in three parts of the state. Over time, she can do the whole state. That's like telling Giada what part of Italy. Pfffft.

• Cindi says:

Texas is a large state with a wide variety of food choices... So many options, she needs to focus & get real

• Janelle says:

What kind? Gimme a break. As time goes on she can do various parts of Texas. Really, would you think Luca only knows one city in italy and would you also ask him WHAT KIND of Italian cuisine? I doubt it.

• MoHub says:

Gabriele Corcos has made a career cooking Tuscan food almost exclusively. There is nothing wrong with a regional perspective, and if anything, it educates people to the fact that no country, state, or ethnicity has only one style of cuisine.

On an episode of My Grandmother's Ravioli, Mo was surprised to find that Polish Jewish cooking was different from Jewish cuisine from other parts of Europe and the world. It's that kind of educational perspective that needs to be disseminated.

• Janelle says:

True. Not disputing that at all. But some people act as if Sarah is limited to or only knows one city in Texas. She has lived in different areas of the state

6. Guest says:

While I wouldn't put either one of them in my top 3 (Lenny/Loreal/Emma) I would at least watch a show with Chris hosting. Sarah...not so much. Actually, not at all. No idea how the judges could deem her worthy of moving on this week. I hate to think it had something to do with the "Chris stole the beef that was rightfully hers" drama. Really disappointing.

• chef anne watcher says:

Snarky Sarah's laughing at everyone when they were doing their (non)descriptions of the food with Giada showed how shallow and mean she is. She was THE WORST at descriptions, and her attempted gagging was an excuse for her non-performance. She is a Drama Queen, and blaming Chris for "stealing HER beef" was pathetic.

• Vicki says:

If I didn't know better I'd say you -are- the real Anne Burrell. I can easily see her saying what you say. But you're right. It wasn't Sarah's beef.

• chef anne watcher says:

Anne has many detractors (but I'm not one of them). I didn't like her Chef Wanted show, with her screaming, but I really like her other shows. She is a wealth of knowledge and there's no bull about her. She would have called Sarah out on her childish behavior with Chris, and the fact that Sarah carried that attitude throughout the show was disgusting. She was gleeful when Chris's beef was overdone, yet her pathetic pork and grits dish was pretty bad. I also didn't see anyone force her to use the pork, so it was yet another BAD decision on her part...I can't wait for her to be gone!

• MaryEllen says:

I can't wait for her to be gone either! The way I see it she will follow Chris-truthfully she should have proceeded him- but it is a 1-2 for the two of them. First Chris, then her. I felt a bit bad for Chris, but he just could not carry the load. Get rid of Sarah-this time. Good riddance.

• Guest says:

If you believe they know who they want or that some sort of fix might be in, then I would say that if Sarah goes that people online will pound on Loreal next. Watch and see if it goes down that way. This may all be so that either Luca or Emma can win.

• Jen says:

Anne would be an excellent judge. They should bring her in and get rid of Giada.

7. Guest says:

Interesting this year that Food Network is focusing on having the stars focus on presentation and star power, because in seasons past the star have had difficulty making an impact on the food network channel after they have won food network star. Obviously they can all cook because otherwise they would not be there. But there are not many people out there like Guy that can rock the food world and I commend Food Network for trying to find that person. Personally, I like watching Lenny, I think he is interesting and he gives everything he's got.

• Buffy says:

I have seen this before. Clown acts overshadow people who also give it their all.
      All I hear are lies when Lenny speaks.
      This is the time the circus is traveling perhaps he can get a gig cooking for them, after all he will be amongst friends.

• Marzanna says:

I agree!

• Michaelene says:

Loud and Cowboy...seems as if this guy has the real Cooking Chops. All who had his min-burgers were drooling ! Hey! I want some of that curry ketchup too!

Luca and BRING IT...if he shows the cooking differences in all regions of Italy!

Anyone notice the Texas Tiara Sarah was sporting?????

Oh... and TFN feeding us Fieri till we want to never see food again has got to stop!!!!!

• MaryEllen says:

I think Lenny is a bit "much"! He is too much of a showboat and a phony. It is too much put on-and soon will fade. I thought it was disgusting and in poor taste for Lenny to a belly flop. Gross! Who does he think wants to see his fat, naked ass?

8. Dan Reed says:

I am sooooo glad I was not the only one to think this decision was BOGUS. Chris and Sarah both didn't make a good dish, but they did like parts of Chris's dish. Chris also won the most chips, which should account for something. He was able to SELL his food to the party guest, which should have been the tie breaker. This show has given Sarah chance after chance, she is a spoiled little brat. I respect Alton, but his rant about Chris could have been the same and just input Sarah's name. The people voted 75% to send home Sarah, you think anybody will watch that show???

• Dirty Harry says:

I'm just waiting to hear what you will say the night your fave is on the bottom.

• Cindi says:

Actually, they revealed that Lenny won the most chips! Chris had a lot but not the most

• Angela B. says:

Right Dan Chris had more chips than Sarah
      that should have been the tie breaker right there since they don't listen to the fans! I was disappointed to see Chris go!

9. CommonSense says:

I don't think Alton likes Lenny's antics. That belly flop was a flop for me too.
    I think Lenny will do nearly anything to stand out from the others.

• Favorites says:

I think Giada is definitely playing favorites this season and she loves Lenny. And last night Lenny said he would do a belly flop so all the pool partiers loved that idea. That wasn't fair. Of course evidently his food tasted good so that helped in the long run but it was ridiculous that he was allowed to say that. Giada loves him so I think he will be the winner. I won't watch his show though.

• Crouton40 says:

The question is: will BobTuschman & Susie Fogelson eat it up as showing "Energy" and being Larger-than-Life? Lenny, to his credit wasn't as loud as last week with his "infomercial at the Great Wall of China". But whoever wins won't always be at poolside, either. Also, on the one hand he *did* have good burgers. On the other hand, even though they were good, I feel the belly-flop was more if a bribe, to get tokens. It's sorta like if one o' the ladies would have said: "I'll shave off my hair and go bald (like Britney Spears) if you'll come over here and drop her tokens. It works, but is it really: Best cooking, best teaching, best personality? (my criteria). I'm betting Alton is taking a long look down the road ( in advance) and wondering ahead of time if this would pan out over the long haul or whether the whole thing would burn itself out. Good to consider.

• Crouton40 says:

Sigh....I hate this darn auto"correct" on this tablet I'm using...

• MoHub says:

Shades of Danushka. "Maybe if they don't come to my table, I'll take off my shirt."

• chef anne watcher says:

Haha -I thought Sarah was going to do that Danushka ploy, too. Oh, how I loathed her!

• shannon says:

Crouton&Mo,that's what Sarah said (I think it was Sarah and not Nicole). She said something along the lines of...geez, do I need to offer to take off my top too for tokens. It was a very valid point. I think Lenny would have gotten zero tokens if that had been offered or how about Luca? I was not amused and I don't think the other competitors were impressed either.

• MoHub says:

Sarah basically posed a comparison. Danushka actually told Bobby she might just have to take her shirt off—although it was obviously meant to be a joke in her dry, monotone voice.

• chef anne watcher says:

Lenny already stands out from the others...he can cook and engage the audience, regardless of "his antics". Love him, or not, he IS unique. And, he doesn't have to swear to get his message across...which is a PLUS in my opinion.

10. Pat says:

I missed Bobby and his input.

• Buffy says:

Bobby's input has not been in a lot of episodes. Does his input matter anymore?

baby food good food All I will ever hear from Bobby is goo goo ga ga.

Now he is thinking how to market grilled food to the baby market.

• Mary says:

Bobby... good or bad.. he made a commitment to this show. Now, it is critical. To depend on two judges is not right; he should have been there. His new restaurant could have opened another day.
        PLEASE let Sarah go home to her kids.

• Mary says:

Why couldn't they have brought Jeffery over from Star Salvation. He would have straightened them all out.

• Kettles says:

Bobby's input is better than Alton's or Giada's.
        Alton wants quirky and different. That was Justin. That was a complete flop. Giada is sweetness and lite which leads to nice people who can't cook.
        We need Bobby.