Caption It: Belly Flop

by in Food Network Star, July 10, 2014

Food Network Star, Season 10In just a few short weeks, Lenny's proven himself one to make a splash on camera for the good of the competition. Given the sneak-peek photo above from Sunday's all-new episode of Food Network Star, it seems as though he's continuing to live up to that reputation as he's shown mid-fall during a belly flop at the Caesars Palace pool.

What do you think could have prompted Lenny's wave-making demonstration? Is this flop somehow related to Sunday's challenge, and will other finalists join in showing off their pool tricks, with fearless cannonballs, handstands and somersaults on display?

Before you tune in on Sunday at 9|8c to find out what's going on here, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this waterworks moment in the comments below.

Tune in to a brand-new episode of Food Network Star on Sunday, July 13 at 9|8c.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Lisa says:

Lenny, with his big saucer eyes and gap-toothed smile, looks like an animated South Park character come to life! The resemblance is really uncanny, IMO. Does anyone else see this?

2. Crouton40 says:

I find myself doing some re-thinking. Remember when Lenny ate the hit peppers and guzzled down the milk? How could he not know about all that spicy heat? Now this at the pool. So...is he trying too hard to be entertaining, or IS he entertaining? Remember when Emeril would say "Another Notch!!" ? I'm thinking if someone new tried that, now, we'd immediately write it off as "Schtick". It seems that the audience has now done a shift in that contenders can't really have any "defining humorous trademark" without being accused oif being corny. Any thoughts?

Speaking for myself, imagine a scale of 1 thru 7. 1 is hopelessly dull and borrriinng and 7 is guy fieri and even louder. For me, I'd want a 5, ...possibly a 4. Somewhat -exuberant, (at least medium and happy to be here with a good smile). But what about being interesting vs. schtick? I like being real and unpretentious but is everything schtick these days?

• MoHub says:

I'd say someone like Jeff Mauro falls at around the 5 mark on your scale. And as for Lenny, I can't believe we're being subjected to another look at his swollen, naked belly. Even Fieri hasn't bared his chest on air as far as I can remember.

In fact, I'm thinking that on your 1-to-7 scale, Lenny is about a 9.

• shannon says:

Crouton, On your scale of 1-7, I am going over 7 for Lenny. IF Guy is a 7, Lenny is worse, I have never seen Guys naked Torso. And I don't want to. You say that someone can't have a "defining humorous trademark without being corny", I think people can be funny without being corny, however Lennys everyday humor is "corny". I am not saying corny humor is a bad thing. This naked pool jump, his naked payday out of control monster, his pouring milk all over his face, not funny at all. It is overboard shtick. I previously compared him to the guys that do the "Jackass" show, I am revisiting that notion. To the point of the peppers, he knew they were hot, hell "I" know they are hot and I an not sitting here making a "hot sauce". I am going to wait and watch the episode this week but I may be very well be rearranging my list of who I would entertain watching in the future. Is Lenny ever real anymore? Just think of his infomercial this week.

• MoHub says:

My hero, W. S. Gilbert, once said, "One can be funny without being vulgar, and one can be funny and vulgar, but one should never be vulgar without being funny." I think he's described Lenny a century and a half before the fact.

• Crouton40 says:

MoHub and Shannon, thanks for the replies. I said 7 was guy fieri--and even louder. And I'm with you both about Lenny's bare torso. Back when it was just "the lady adjusting herself" I liked that quite well. Good food, too. But then once we got into bare chest, guzzling milk and infomercial loudness, it was too much. But what if he really does dual it back to lady-on-porch, hmm, he is more likeable that way, and we give others credit when they learn from judges feedback so I feel I should with Lenny, too. However, from the above pic, it doesn't appear he's going to do that. Hmm. As I've mentioned before, I, too, may revise things. Seems like in most seasons, 6, 7, 8, 9 bring a good bit if revising. And yet, I still feel like: Mann! It should *not* take this long to pick faves". Yet, this year, here I am..
      I am wondering, what *could* anyone do, humorously, to be cute w/o appearing corny or Schtick. (Lord knows, I've had more than my fill of loud/obnoxious, and yet I don't want to go yo the other extreme, either. Hence, a 5...maybe even a 4 on that scale. I'm wondering about this next Sundays interaction between Sarah & Chris. Is Sarah over-reactung or does Chris have-it-coming? If he does, will Sarah handle herself in a good way ( I don't know why she wouldn't) but I'm anxious yo see. (Smile).
      Anybody else? Feel free to jump in!

• Buffy says:

FN is trying to write and define the part of characters. A character cannot be written. A character will always bring their own material. Look around in life, there is always a character around, office, family, stores, streets, sitting at red lights. The best writers know how to write the reality seen.
      Someone must like seeing this clown without clothes. I think FN wants to create a show called the "Cooking with the Clown"

3. Crouton40 says:

PS...grrrr, I hate the misspellings/auto"correct" on this tsbket I'm using......

4. Splash says:

Where are all the people?!? Notice the empty chairs behind lifeguard and around the pool.

• MoHub says:

Lenny probably scared them off with his naked torso and giant belt buckle.

• Buffy says:

Have you ever been splashed by the whale at the marine waterpark?
        How long are your clothes and hair left wet? :)

5. Rama Nanda says:

Lenny has been practicing Yoga with Emma. He has advanced spiritually and is now levitating over the pool.

6. Dora Moore says:

Have you watched the YouTube video of Lenny at the ranch where he works in Colorado? He seems the same there as on Food Network Star. I think what we see is the real him. He says he just loves entertaining and I certainly find him to be so. It would be nice to have someone unique on the Food Network. I get a little tired of Guy, Giada, Bobby, and Alton. The same people over and over again. What happened to Amy Theilen's Heartland Table and Ben Sargent's Hook, Line and Dinner? Do enjoy Chuck's Eat the Street but don't remember if it is on the Food Network of the Cooking Channel. Please more cooking shows and fewer competitions.

• Robert says:

Dora Moore - I'm all with you on more cooking shows. I would like to see more emphasis on cuisines that have NOT been already on the FN or of late. I thought maybe TURKISH or POLISH cuisine could be good ideas for the FN to consider. My late father's side of our family is of Polish heritage and lives on the South Side of Chicago. I would give ANYTHING to see it being promoted for us as FN viewers because for one thing, Hillshire Farm and Johnsonville are the kings of American-style POLSKA KIELBASA sausage and that alone could be a foundation for all else. It is already a breakfast staple in Poland.

• Abdul says:

They can't have a show for every country on earth.

They don't have cooking from India, or Bueno's Aire's, or Ireland, or Sydney Australia, either. Pretty soon the audience will want a Chinese cowboy who sings Rap cooking live on location from Madagascar.

PS - I love a good Polish sausage but we don't have a show doing Russian cooking, either. Maybe they could get Alec Baldwin. Enough already.

• chef anne watcher says:

I think former winner's Aarti Party is about Indian cuisine.

• Bubbles says:

I think that's true in part. That, and her spices. It didn't last.

So many good cooks and Chefs have been shot down by having a lousy POV for their show.

• Sue says:

Yes! Less competitions, more Cooking!!! Put some cooking on after 6:30pm, too!

• Buffy says:

I will not watch the youtube video because youtube will then decide I want to see clown acts based on my previous views.

7. guest says:

Oh no, not another half-naked Lenny image! I'm hoping this is merely a private moment captured on camera and not part of his challenge. We really, really need to see some serious cooking and no more over-the-top entertaining, please.

• guest3 says:

Seems like a paradox. When people say they want more cooking (and we do). then there's others who talk about a finalist needing to be entertaining and not just cook. Nice to have that, too. But when they are, or try to be, then it's too much. I agree that Lenny has been going overboard lately.

I'm thinking focusing on Cooking with some occasional one-liners or plays on words might be best. But even with that, less is more. Because we want the focus to be on the food, not to only see what joke they'll tell next. I have Comedy Central on tv for that.

• Ms Isabel says:

Personally, I think Lenny has been putting out some pretty good food and he's the most entertaining of the bunch. He may appear "over the top" at times because everyone else is trying too hard to impress and are not in their comfort zone! I love Lenny, Like most of the others but still wondering what someone like
      Sarah is doing on this show for the second time?

8. Skeemer says:

Here's an idea. Some people have already talked about the network "wanting" Luca to maybe win it all. Last challenge, Lenny was told that people like him just fine for who he is and he doesn't need to be like he was at the great wall of china. He reacted like he was going to take the advice to heart when the judges gave him the feedback. Now, by putting up this latest pic of Lenny, do you think the network, again, may be paving the way for Luca because Lenny was doing too good before? Or, if not for Luca, then to get him out of the way to make room for---? Or maybe the whole idea of that isn't believable. How does it look to you?

9. Kim Ritchie says:

CHUCKWAGON DOWN!!!!

10. EddyL says:

I can't stand this fat, fake cowboy. He was on that Triple G show and I never believed a word he said about his chuck wagon on a ranch in Colorado. And his referrals to his "boys" was downright CREEPY.