It Came Down to a Tiebreaking Decision — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

by in Judges, June 22, 2014

Alton's Post-Star Rundown, Episode 4Every week, Alton Brown is joining the Star Talk roster to talk about the most-recent elimination and the thoughts behind each difficult decision from the judges' perspective.

When it comes to eliminations,I'd say that eight times of 10, Bobby, Giada and I talk it out and come to a unanimous decision, but not this time. Granted, the challenge was tough on everyone, forcing them to put themselves out there as conceptualists and performers. This also made it very tough for those of us on the Selection Committee.

After reviewing the input of our expert guest panelists from YouTube, those of us on the Selection Committee enjoyed some heated debate. Based on her performance in the PayDay video, as well as her scattered performance throughout the competition, I felt that it was Aryen's time to go. Giada strongly felt that Christopher's time had come. Bobby provided the tiebreaker by choosing Aryen for elimination. Bobby felt that we'd spent a lot of time asking her over and over to deliver, and that she hadn't done so either on camera or on the plate. She's got a great heart, and we wish her success.

“You’ve Got to Be an Expert, You Have to Be Able to Teach” — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

Every week, Alton Brown is joining the Star Talk roster to talk about the most-recent elimination and the thoughts behind each difficult decision from...

1. Myra says:

Unbelievable, what did this show have to do with hosting a cooking show? I understood everything Aryan said, she was sent home because the judges have comprehension problems? This is the WORST season ever.

And the preview of next week, the "triumvirate"??? Was that a joke or a nasty preview of just how bad the judging has become? Or how far from reality these three tv people have become? I'm sickened. Just when you think it can't get any worse...

I used to watch food network all of the time, I had it on all day, now it's less than 2 hours a week and it's about to become zero.

• jen says:

If Alton was serious about the Triumvirate next week then I am bitterly disappointed. It sounds like being drunk with power. Alton should compete and get his metal tested. Bobby has. Giada has, too. Next week sounds like the Lords on High making their kingly decree. I hope I'm wrong.

• Myra says:

I'm with you, I'm hoping it's a joke, but why would the food network even put that up as a preview? Do they really have such a low opinion of us viewers? They seem to think we are cretins.

• Monte says:

I don't think they have a low opinion, I just think they have a certain idea in mind, and a certain demographic in mind, and by golly that's what they're gonna shove down people's throats.

2. Janet says:

This episode was the worst show ever! Terrible. I won't be watching any more. Whoever came up with this should be looking for a new line of work.

3. Kit says:

If I may borrow Altin's words, I cannot unsee tonight's episode. I am stunned.

4. Lori says:

i do agree that there needs to be more cooking to decide if they are to be food network star. I am not sure what the purpose of this was although, I think maybe to see if there is a real connection with the camera. However, making these videos of marketing candy in such a way that didn't have anything to do with cooking really didn't make any sense. If they want to see who connects with the camera...do so by marketing THEIR cooked foods and see how they handle with explaining certain food products..that are the best. Like different flavors of olive oil and what they do..or...which spices are good to use in certain recipes and etc. Slow it down;..let them have the ability to really portray themselves..I think the timing is just a bit too quick ..just give them a chance..and slow it down some and see if that makes any difference.

• Crouton40 says:

The purpose seems to be connecting with the audience through a social media presence. I can see value in that--but--the social media presence some of the finalists have already, is better than what I saw tonight. More directly related to cooking and instruction.

And Next week, will be in front of a live audience, anyway. They could have skipped this whole challenge tonight and people's connecting with an audience and camera presence would still get tested. Next week is a better test. More real.

• Myra says:

It's a pre-recorded tv show, they don't need to perform in front of a live audience, that makes no sense.

• Crouton40 says:

It does make sense. Next week's challenge, pre-recorded or not, is/was in front of a large audience. I would say there's more of a "need" for that, than there is/was for some "comedy" skit. Connecting with, and presenting in front of, real people, LIVE! -is better- than a candy bar commercial/video. A more realistic and relevant test. Doesn't matter if it's taped or not. The individual challenge/test itself is better. More directly related to cooking, and the type of camera skills that would be used on a winner's show. I think I'll just leave it there...

• Myra says:

We agree this weeks youtube challenge was ridiculous. But next weeks 'live audience' challenge is equally ridiculous. The winner of the Network Star competition will be filming a pre-recorded, scripted and rehearsed show. They will not be filming before a live audience, next weeks show is for no reason other that to create unnecessary drama that has absolutely nothing to do with what the person will be doing if they win a show.

Why can't we focus on cooking skills? Gee, let's focus on what a person will do week after week that will make us want to watch them when they are in a studio kitchen.

• Paul says:

What rehearsal? Didn't Chris Kyler mention that there wouldn't be any practice takes ahead of time next week?

• Myra says:

If they win and get an actual show, their show will be rehearsed and be taped and re-taped until they get it right.

• MoHub says:

Chefs/cooks in the Food Network family are often called upon to make appearances at the South Beach and New York Food and Wine Festivals, so the ability to present and engage an audience live is a necessary skill for whoever wins FNS.

• CVeraS says:

Well said,Lori.

5. CVeraS says:

Are we back in junior high, selling candy bars and doing skits? I understand that the contestants have to show that they can do well on camera and think fast on their feet, which is what this is all about, but they are all relaxed and professional doing their little side interviews between scenes. I would rather see them each in an interview and each in a pilot, and forget making them jump through hoops like trained seals. I told my husband, I felt like I was back sitting in the audience at summer fine arts camp, watching my then 10 year old ham it up in a contrived skits put on for the parents. Christopher almost went home because his heart wasn't in it. Ha - no wonder! At least, when Alton Brown did skits on "Good Eats", it was to teach us something fascinating, not sell candy bars for the sponsor.

6. cheryl says:

Dear Food Network from an apparently stupid viewer! Is this show called the next food star or Dumb it down for America??? Who, in god's name, told you that anyone would think this was enjoyable to watch???? I have never been so disappointed in a show as I was tonight! I wonder how many of your current "stars" would appreciate be made fools out of like you did to these people tonight? I watch the food network because I cannot stand the crap that is on tv now...and you guys think that this was good??? Not a single cooking demonstration shown and you eliminate a contestant! By the way you are NOT You Tube and may have been better off showing it as a Saturday NIght Live clip..oh wait a minute..it wan"t funny!!!!

• Susan says:

I so agree with you. This show has become a circus; not a show about cooking. Giada is a bimbo with a big beezer; Alton is not as formidable as he thinks he is; Bobby.....oh for goodness sake! You spat out Lenny's food one episode and humiliated him to death....you are no Robert Irvine so get another POV!!!

• Crouton40 says:

It was my least favorite episode.
        "What makes a STAR?"---MY criteria has always been 4 things:

1. Superior, appetizing dishes with top-notch Flavors!
        2. Simple, easy-to-follow, clear teaching.
        3. Someone likeable/warm/informal w/ a good smile
        4. someone who ISN'T: Loud/obnoxious, monotone/expressionless, conceited,
        hyper or freaky.
        That covers it! Avoid #4, and DO 1,2 & 3 better than the other contenders, and that person is who I vote for. Don't know who that is, yet, for this season. Like Shannon, I also wrote a review.

• shannon says:

Cheryl our minds think alike I just posted something similar on Justin's recap thread before I read your comment. I agree with you 100%.

7. PSC312 says:

I am with you all! Stupidest show ever - and how management let them get away with it all is crazy. Poor Aryen - did you know that her Star Salvation challenge was all talk, too?? I just don't get it.

I watch cooking shows - no matter what kind - for the COOKING!! Goodness!

8. originalview00 says:

Forgot to mention this is now all about the various Sponsers and promoting the the other shows, especially Alton's whom I have admired for years. Get with the original show.

• MoHub says:

That's what it's always been about. Every season has had a Hershey's and a Kellogg's challenge, and there have also been challenges based on Iron Chef, Chopped, and Rachael Ray's talk show.

• Erin says:

I thought that was something they added only recently, I don't remember that in earlier seasons, in earlier seasons, they actually had contestants working with raw food. :p

9. Christopher is boring. Aryen was bright and interesting and exciting. She should have stayed! I would watch a show with Aryen in it. I would NOT watch if Christopher was on. Wrong decision this week, Bobby and Alton. Giada had it right! Spot on!

• Guest says:

Giada was wrong. It's a cooking show not a personality contest.

Yes, we want to like the winner. But find out who the best cooks are and then pick who you like best from them. Don't pick who you like and then hope they can cook.

10. Jon says:

I feel it was a 50/50 decision. I would agree that both should be gone. I have no interest in watching either one as a food star. Lenny is my hopeful winner for this season.