It Came Down to a Tiebreaking Decision — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

by in Judges, June 22, 2014

Alton's Post-Star Rundown, Episode 4Every week, Alton Brown is joining the Star Talk roster to talk about the most-recent elimination and the thoughts behind each difficult decision from the judges' perspective.

When it comes to eliminations,I'd say that eight times of 10, Bobby, Giada and I talk it out and come to a unanimous decision, but not this time. Granted, the challenge was tough on everyone, forcing them to put themselves out there as conceptualists and performers. This also made it very tough for those of us on the Selection Committee.

After reviewing the input of our expert guest panelists from YouTube, those of us on the Selection Committee enjoyed some heated debate. Based on her performance in the PayDay video, as well as her scattered performance throughout the competition, I felt that it was Aryen's time to go. Giada strongly felt that Christopher's time had come. Bobby provided the tiebreaker by choosing Aryen for elimination. Bobby felt that we'd spent a lot of time asking her over and over to deliver, and that she hadn't done so either on camera or on the plate. She's got a great heart, and we wish her success.

“You’ve Got to Be an Expert, You Have to Be Able to Teach” — Alton’s Post-Star Rundown

Every week, Alton Brown is joining the Star Talk roster to talk about the most-recent elimination and the thoughts behind each difficult decision from...

1. Erin says:

Notice how there was hardly any cooking in this episode...

• the Chairman says:

The only thing I wanted to make after watching this challenge was an Alka-Seltzer.

2. LynneK says:

What the hell happened to this show? Where is the COOKING? I remember pulling contestant recipes off the website- that's how inspiring the show was. And enough with the product placements/ tie ins. Getting way too cheesy. In past seasons by now I had a good feel for who was who and what they were about. I honestly can't remember all their names or most of the POVs. Lastly the drama and over-acting is killing me. Did they hire Kris Jenner to direct episodes?

3. Nikolai says:

To Mr. Bob Tuschman-
    While you've been away, an entertaining food enthusiast show we all looked forward to in our family (picking up where TAR left off ) has gone seriously awry. The Hershey product placement of Paydays and Reeses was about the most poorly executed embarrassing-to-watch-hamfisted-clumsy product placement (sorry "sponsor integration" ) I have ever seen. It was embarrassing for the contestants who came to cook, the judges who must know in their hearts that this charade is risible, and most importantly - an insult to the viewer who had to endure it. I literally squirmed in my seat. Maybe you all thought, "what the heck - lets have the intern bullpen produce an episode". you jumped the shark. big time. And as for Hersheys? Get a grip.Is it getting that hard to sell candy these days? Desperation all around and the ratings will be desperate too. A show with cross over appeal has ended up alienating everyone.

• Louise says:

Do you really think he cares? He probably gave the last two shows his utmost approval.

• PSC312 says:

He should care.

• Rachel says:

Yes, he should care. They should think more long-term.
          So many bad concepts to a show, is what destroys so many.
          Aarti and her spices? Really? Only so much you can do with that. I knew that was going to fizzle.
          Justin and dishes that almost no one will recreate or serve. Bad concept from the get-go.
          Why the sandwich king is still on the air is anyone's guess. Shame on you if you can't make a sandwich. Hire me. I can put anything between two pieces of bread, too, and tell better jokes.
          Damaris was a good one, but they need to put her on during the week.
          We need someone who can bring professional excellence delivered in a friendly demeanor. We have enough farm to table already. International is overrated, too.

4. Terry says:

I just would like to know why FN is moving in the direction of having the people that they hire do less cooking and do more acting? Is that what this channel is coming to? If so, they're going to lose a large number of folks who really enjoy watching talented people cook and getting some new ideas for great dishes. Also, if Alton Brown's goal is coming off as "Holier than thou" then - mission accomplished. He is becoming more and more condescending and disrespectful toward contestants. I personally, am going to join the group of people who will only tune in when there's actually cooking on - or not at all.

5. Adriana says:

I tend to think that the success of Cutthroat Kitchen has gone to his head.

Anymore, he's just too impatient, controlling, sarcastic and abrupt. It started back when he told Martie to shut up and cook and has just gotten worse since then.