Star-a-Day: Lenny McNab

by in Food Network Star, Interviews, May 11, 2014

Lenny McNabLenny McNab, 42, is a one-of-a-kind gourmet cowboy with over-the-top confidence and culinary skills. He trained in Germany and is now the executive chef at a hunting ranch. With his signature hat, belt buckle and boots, you can’t miss Lenny in a crowd — and he is ready to bring his unique take on food to the rest of the country. Read on below to hear from Lenny, and learn about his style of cooking and thoughts on the competition.

Describe your cooking style or culinary point of view — in one sentence, if you can.
Lenny: My culinary point of view is to bring back the traditional ways of the cowboy cook.

What are you most looking forward to taking away from this experience?
Lenny: The thing I think I'm most looking forward to in taking away from this experience is the recognition of being out there in an elite association of chefs, restaurateurs, hoteliers that have made it big enough so that their name gets noticed, because I imagine anybody that does something like this has a touch of an ego.

Which mentor are you most excited to learn from?
Lenny: Alton Brown

Which mentor do you find to be the most intimidating?
Lenny: Alton Brown

What is one thing you most want to convey to the judges about you, your food or your would-be show on Food Network?
Lenny: I would like to portray that cowboy cooking isn't just a plate of beans and a biscuit, but it can be something that is much more higher level, but still using those same old techniques and styles that the boys did out on the range when they settled this country ... cooking in cast iron and Dutch ovens over a pot rack and whatnot.

What’s your Achilles’ heel ingredient, one that you hate to work with?
Lenny: I'm scared to work with my first durian fruit.

What's your guilty pleasure food?
Lenny: Chef Boyardee and raw hot dogs

What's your favorite late-night snack?
Lenny: My favorite late-night snack, once again, is Chef Boyardee and raw hot dogs. That's when I eat that.

What's one must-have dish at your last supper?
Lenny: Maine lobster

Rapid fire: Think fast!
Ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise? Mayonnaise
Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla
Bagels or doughnuts? Doughnuts
Cream cheese or butter? Butter
Coffee or tea? Coffee
French fries or onion rings? Onion rings
Burgers or hot dogs? Burgers
White meat or dark? Dark
Cake or pie? Cake
Beer or wine? Wine
Waffles or pancakes? Pancakes

Click the play button on the video below to hear from more Lenny.

It's going to be a summer of heated competition as Food Network Star gears up for its most-explosive season yet, a 10th year of putting hopeful rivals through the job interview of their lives. To make it to August and ultimately land a sought-after television career — Food Network show host — finalists will have to impress mentor-judges Alton BrownBobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis with the coveted combination of cooking chops and on-camera charm. Season 10 kicks off Sunday, June 1 at 9|8c, but before then, FN Dish is introducing fans to all of the contestants. This year's crop of competitors boasts business owners, executive chefs, world travelers and farm-to-table enthusiasts — not to mention fiery personalities, over-the-top entertainers and undeniable competitive spirits. Check back every day to meet another finalist, then learn more about each of them by checking out their casting videos.

Rachael’s Thoughts About Episode 9 and the One Thing Every Star Needs to Have

Rachael Ray hosted the final five, as well as Alton, Bobby and Giada, on her talk show during last week's episode, and tasked the finalists with helpi...

1. Katie mcnab says:

Hey uncle Lenny, it's katie, robs daughter. I love u and I miss you ! I really hope you win the next food network star <3

• Chef Lenny says:

Katie!!!! I love you very much.....and if I win this competition I'll make sure you that you can come work with me for a little while...I'm sure you are going to be a great Chef someday too. Lot's of love, Uncle Lenny

2. Brenda Ray says:

Hey there...Brenda Ray from Lake Elsinore Ca already your biggest fan...I'm sure you wont miss a beat just as I wont miss an episode or interview and ill be sure to write down all your recipes...ill be cheering strong from sunny so Cal so be confident, tip your hat up and roll your sleeves up as you 2-step your way through the kitchen and mossy yourself to victory. From TEAM LENNY......GO LENNY GO......

3. Lolly says:

Hi Chef Lenny, I know I have seen you on a previous food competiion show, but I can't remember which one. Was it the Baking competiion, Guy's Grocery Game or maybe Chopped? Please tell me as it has been driving me crazy! BTW I tape and watch a lot of food reality competitions. The Next Food Network Star is one of my favorites and I am happy you are on the show.

• Debbie says:

I have seen him somewhere myself maybe master chef?

• Michelle says:

I went onto his website and it said that he was on Guy's' Grocery Game. It was driving me crazy. I knew I had seen him before.

GOOD LUCK - LENNY!!! We are rooting for YOU!!!

4. Leslie says:

I had the pleasure of being entertained by Chef Lenny's food and singing last summer in Colorado. I hope he does well.

5. Lori says:

Lenny! You are awesome!! Keep it up, I love, love, love that you commented back to your niece!

6. ChefDeb says:

Hey Chef, So happy to see you on the Network! YOu cooked for us (Chef Matt T. and Chef Deb T.) for Ron & Janets 40th anniversary... BEST weekend ever, and it was all because of you ( we still have our "i love chef lenny" t-shirts!. Good Luck Buddy!

7. Susan says:

Voting and rooting for you, Lenny! I told my hubby about your commercial and the hot sauce taste test. The judges had said you didn't mention where you were in the commercial. I was trying to think of how you could have done that, and my hubby said: "I'm at the Great Wall of China, one of the 7 wonders of the world. My Black Mamba hot sauce is the 8th." lol

8. susan m. says:

What a charmer! I am from upstate New York, and am hoping that Lenny wins. He has the cooking skills and the personality.

Besides that, he seems like a real nice guy. I would watch this guy on TV. He has my vote.

9. Jessica_N says:

Chef Lenny - I am dying to try that curry ketchup. Can I have the recipe?