Now Casting: Food Network Star, Season 10

by in Community, September 26, 2013

Food Network Star, Season 10 CastingGuy Fieri, Justin Warner and Damaris Phillips. These three Food Network chefs weren't born into stardom; it took a journey from fandom to fierce competition on Food Network Star to turn their passion for food and people into a career and to ultimately help them break into the world of television. If you've ever found yourself at home wondering how you, too, could end up on Food Network, the time has come for you to prove your star power.

Food Network is currently casting Season 10 of Food Network Star, but before you can show off your cooking chops to the mentors and dazzle the network with your camera-ready personality, you have to begin the application process. Check the official casting website to download an application and to complete instructions on how to apply, and consider visiting one of the open casting calls (listed after the jump) in a city near you.

New York City

Location: Hyatt Regency
123 Losoya St.
San Antonio, TX 78205

San Francisco
Date: Oct. 19, 2013
Time: 10am-2pm
Location: The Westin San Francisco Market St.
50 Third St.

Location: The L.A. Hotel Downtown
333 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071

Chicago
Date: Nov. 16, 2013
Time: 10am-2pm
Location: The Westin Michigan Ave.
909 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611

New Orleans
Date: Nov. 12, 2013
Time: 10am-2pm
Location: W New Orleans
333 Poydras St.
New Orleans, LA 70130

Caption It: Look Who’s Back

For Damaris, Rodney and Russell, this Sunday night will surely prove to be one of the most defining moments of their lives so far. One will ultimately...

1. billylullo says:

We want to see an amazingly talented and tough lady from Austin Alicia Corbett. I am good old Mid-Western boy who eats meat and lots of it only Alicias been able to make eat veggie! Show some veggie love!

2. Miss Sugarpie says:

I have a different take on things. I'm not so much thinking about what or who I'd like to see. For me, it's about what I don't want to see. That means bald heads, tattoos, green hair or anyone over the top loud. If people want to be like that, they can go sell bongs & CD's at the downtown record shop.

3. TRICHEF says:

How about an old guy that is very fit does have a tattoo but has all of his hair in its natural color and state. I cook vegetarian, selectarian and any other "arian" that my guests want...just wanna show what I got

4. Truckdriver Mike says:

It's starting to look like season 10 might be the attack of the vegetarians. Last time around, Nikki was good with veggies and healthy cooking. She was well-spoken, too, but she didn't make the final 3. We're Americans and we eat meat. I like a big 16oz. T-bone well-done and baked potato with butter. Not junk food or slop but bold flavors and hearty.

5. TRICHEF says:

Did I mention that I work at a steak house!

6. Marylin says:

I like the idea of a vegetrian contender. There are great REAL foods out there for omnivores. It's not all tofu and soybeans. I, for one, think that vegetarianism (or flexitarianism) is going mainstream and needs to be represented.

• Monique says:

Many hosts are already using & cooking veggie dishes now. I'd like to see food genres or countries that are not already represented.

7. Peach says:

I can't even say I'm against it. It's just that last season, Nikki, was going to be THE one who did exactly that, show us that it's not all tofu and soybeans. She didn't make it to the finals.

In other seasons, Herb the Energy Chef and fitness guy failed,
    Christy Schoen was into healthy-eating and less meat and was the very 1st one eliminated!
    Last year Andre was eliminated 1st or 2nd if memory serves.
    People keep talkiong about the "need" for a show like this and yet year after year, even though the whole country already knows about obesity, gastric bypasses, diabetes, clogged arteries and all the rest, they still turn it down. And so last year, Nikki was going to change all that. She was good on camera but it wasn't enough.

• Marylin says:

Nicki & Christy didn't have the guts to go full vegetarian. Nikki's pitch was "Meat on the Side". Maybe the reason no vegetarians have made it far is because they don't have what it takes. It doesn't mean that there is no need for it. Cooking Channel launched a vegan show in January.

• Peach says:

But Nikki could have easily gone 100% veggie and she *chose* to be just "Meat on the Side". I think she did that because she knew that going all out, she wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in h___ of making it with a wide audience. She perceived that the public did *not* want only veggies. There was nothing at all to stop her from being a purist. She chose not to be anyway.
        I eat veggies. I like the, They're good for you. But a show of only veggies? Well, there's only so many ways one can make cooked carrots or steamed broccoli. I think it may be good for 4 or 5 shows and then get rapidly boring. Looking back over the years, it seems most people agree with me.

• Marylin says:

The past does not equal the future. I've been a vegetarian for two years and I STILL find new and delicious recipes and dishes. And it's not all veggies like "cooked carrots and steamed broccoli". It's pasta, grains, beans, breads, fruits, etc... Not only is there a vegetarian audience for a show like this, but many omnivores are trying to at least reduce their meat consumption. Obviously, I'm all for it because I can't believe no one has done it yet!

• Peach says:

You say: ...not all veggies like "cooked carrots and steamed broccoli". It's pasta, grains, beans, breads, fruits, etc.
            Ok. So be it. Nikki was going to show us all of that last year.
            And Andre, and...you get the idea.
            True, past may not always equal future, but the track-record isn't good. Seems like there are plenty of Chefs right now showing us about grains, beans, etc.
            There isn't a show devoted to Oysters/Clams/Scallops/Crab, either. I think more viewers would like that, but we'll see.

8. Crouton40 says:

POSITIVE stuff I'd like to see in Season 10:

1. Contenders taking CALL-IN QUESTIONS by skype or phone from the audience.
    This is one of my all-time favorite tests/challenges because:
    A) it tests their knowledge/expertise
    B) it shows us how ell they can teach/explain/communicate
    C) we can see how engaging they are, or aren't when they do this.

2. Giving all of them an opportunity to make something OUTSIDE of their POV (but let it be *their* choice), dont assign them something people think they might be lousy at. Rather, just give 'em a chance to show some breadth and that they aren't just only good at one thing.

3. I LIKE it when we see "mock shows"...i.e..."Hi! I'm Chef Crouton. Thanks for tuning-in. Today I'm gonna show you how to make a delicious ________ that's sure to get everyone clammoring for a second helping! (smile). It's easy. So, here's how we'll start".....
    A) Again, this shows: /teaching/communication, kitchen skill, and camera presence/personality.

4. How would each individual cook do if he/she had to cook for 10 people? That should test 'em.
    In my opinion, those 4 are all positive/good things to do/see. And they are relevant tests.

9. Shawna says:

Hey Food Network, do you think we can have one season where people have hair, and not dyed hair, and none of the guys have to wear a hat to hide the fact that there isn't one whisker of hair on their head? Yes, they are people, too, but no one that I would think of watching.