It’s Pie Style, Jack — An Interview with Rodney Henry

by in Interviews, August 15, 2013

Rodney Henry's Pie Style Finale PantsThere's no doubt about it: Rodney Henry is the Pie Man. What pie style is might still be out for debate, but this runner-up has proved to Food Network fans that whatever it is, it seems like a pretty good time. Through all the "suckers," "cool cats" and "it's pie style, jack," he's taken this season of Star and turned it upside down. Committed to staying true to himself, Rodney survived 10 weeks of competition to earn a spot among the final three competitors. While he ultimately came up short behind winner Damaris Phillips, there's no doubt that Rodney has star power.

Star Talk caught up with Rodney to chat about his time on Star, what he thought of the mentors and what fans can expect in the future.

Rodney HenryWhat was your favorite Star moment of the season?
RH: For me it was the Star Charity Auction during Episode 7, where I decided to do the astronaut-Gastronaut piece. Right then I decided I was just going to do my own thing. At that point I was told to use more descriptive words and be less of a tool, so I just wanted to go for it. I was walking around my hotel the night before when what I thought was an amazing idea came to me: "Astronauts" sounds just like "Gastronauts."

Was Star everything you expected it to be?
RH: You know, it was. I really enjoyed myself thoroughly. I think my presence there even relaxed some of the other contestants. I just wanted to have a good time. Getting the opportunity to do this — I've always wanted to be an entertainer — was everything I wanted it to be and more. It was like adult summer camp.

We saw you don many hats this season. How many did you actually pack?
RH: I brought a few with me, but by the time the season ended, I had seven total. Alton and I both had a hat thing going — though he wore his more Hannibal Lecter-style, and I wear mine like a pimp.

Alton Brown and Rodney HenryWho would you consider the most intimidating mentor?
RH: Alton was intimidating, but I truly enjoyed all three of them. Giada is sweet. Bobby is like the Frank Sinatra of Food Network. When he walks in, he's just Mr. Cool Cat. Alton is more playful in between shots, and he could also be a real son of a gun. But I liked them all equally in their own different styles.

What is something you'll take with you into the future from this experience?
RH: Well, I know this much: I don't want to be a total tool all the time. This experience has opened my mind to different avenues of cooking. I'm just going to keep doing my thing. I'm going to keep playing music in my shops and hope to open up even more around the country. More rock and rollers want to get involved in Dangerously Delicious, and that's what it's all about. This is the best stepping-stone ever. This is who I am. I'm just going to keep moving forward. I'm the Pie Man.

What's your favorite type of pie?
RH: Apple pie. I mean, I like every pie, especially savory pies. But if you can make a good apple pie, that's the best. Once you make a really good one, people dig it. That's how I judge everyone's pie-making abilities: If people can make me a good apple pie, they're in.

You've got some words you tend to use a lot. Is there a favorite?
RH: "Cat" is my favorite word. "Jack" is a close second. I don't even think about it. I never realized it until I saw myself on TV, actually. Everyone is a cool cat. Maybe I should get myself a tabby cat and call it Pie Style.

Watch part of Rodney's interview by clicking the play button below.

Damaris’ Look-Back at Season 9 and Insider Advice for Future Finalists

Just one year ago, Damaris Phillips was preparing to begin the job interview of her life, an 11-week journey alongside just as many rivals that would...

1. Steve says:

So sorry he did not win. I would have really loved to see his show. I think he was really funny.

2. Charlotte says:

I hope they give Rodney his own show like they did with Adam. He would make a great Food Network Star. I am happy for Damaris.

3. Crouton40 says:

Latest Damaris news on her new show.

• CVeraS says:

It wouldn't come up on my IPAD so I typed in only http://www.whas11com, then typed in her name in the search box on the TV channel's web site, and watched all her interviews on the Louisville local news. All were super-fantastic. Well worth watching. Might work for anyone's favorite contestant - google the local news stations in their hometown.

• Crouton40 says:

If you highlight the http:// (and don't start with www.) that worked on my computer. Dont know if i-Pad's are different. Yes, i enjoyed how down to earth she is. Whas11 news. and Wave3 news. Also, if you type her name in a search-box, (bing, google, yahoo) her Twitter and/or Facebook should come up in pg.1 or 2 of search results. So glad we had an unpretentious winner without a gimmick or schtick.

4. Rozzo Purnell says:

America really made an error not picking Rodney the Pie Man. Food Network should be smart and get him his own show anyway. He was the most entertaining of all the contestants and that is exactly what a show needs to hold an audience. Come on Food Network you better get him before Destination or Travel Channel does:)

5. Yvonne says:

He belongs there more than he belongs here. No credibility.

6. Wendy says:

A cool show or even a special would be something like "Around the country with Rodney and Russell". You could have them go to a restaurant and have Russell use his "culinary sins" to improve a dish they have and Rodney could turn a dish "pie style". I bet it would be pretty fun.

7. AndyJ says:

Thankful that he didn't win. No idea how he even got that far. VERY annoying! Rodney's show would have been another drinking game just like what's his name... The sandwich guy.

8. G. I. Brassbottom says:

SEASON 10 COOKS

Listen up, Maggots.
    YOU WILL be judged.
    YOU WILL be criticized.

You want to Win? Then YOU are in-charge, of your own public persona, and what people think.
    ACT ACCORDINGLY.
    You KNOW this, going in. You have no one to blame but yourself. Therefore, THINK before your submit your video.
    How do you look?
    How do you sound?
    What are you saying? Again, you have no one to blame but yourself. Do you really want to spend half the season trying to undo a bad perception of you? Then think ahead about how you will present yourself. The public WILL react to what YOU do! Act accordingly.
    It's YOUR reputation.
    Do you want to be seen as loud? Or a bully? Or a ditz? Or nervous? Or weird? Or stuck-up?
    It's up to you. Think ahead.
    Class dismissed.