The Top 10 Moments of Star, in Rebel Fashion

by in Recap, August 10, 2013

The Top 10 Moments of Star, in Rebel Fashion10. In the first episode, Chad crushed it right out of the gate. For those of us who have now watched nine seasons of this program, it's kind of a tradition to get a rush of excitement about one of the contestants in the first episode. Chad had it in a Cryo-vac'-ed bag.

Stacey Poon-Kinney9. Another favorite moment of mine in Episode 1 is when Alton talks to Stacey about how to address the camera and then she kills her presentation. Don't we just love seeing the magic of mentorship? Having been mentored by AB, I can assure you that the feeling we get from watching it on TV is only half as powerful as the feeling in real life — and look how far she ran.

8. Burger Bash. Man, talk about a meat grinder. So many bodies trying to do so many things. You had Chris eating raw meat, Danushka threatening toplessness, Lovely smashing her hamburgers into the grill, a freaking banh mi burger and Rodney, bless his soul, was like a speed metal a cappella solo. It was a classic FNS train wreck challenge and we ate it up like it was a Russell Burger with all seven sins on top.

7. "Semi-vegetarian." Welcome to the future, America. It's a cold, leafy reality, but it'll be easier to swallow now than later. (Also, did anyone else notice that Nikki's cred dropped the second she started pitching "meat on the side" as opposed to "semi-vegetarian"?) Authority is only as strong as the words we use to define it.

Chris' story of transformative power6. Chris' story of the transformative power of food. Have you ever been so touched by a contestant's relationship to food in all of Star's history? No. You haven't. Believe it or not, I used to not just be a rebel, but a real bad kid. I don't know a chef worth his salt with a clean record, myself included.

5. Damaris as judge. This is when we saw it first. She's an authority. She could have been Susie freaking Fogelson at that point.

4. The fact that we all wanted Viet to take it, deep down inside.

3. Pizza-dough doughnuts. I've never seen something so hotly contested on almost all of the Internet. Robert Irvine was chiming in, Giada's recipes were called into question and I got nasty-grams on Twitter for poking fun at the whole thing. Really!?

Danushka Lysek2. Rodney's morning-shower-engendered pie song mason jar duct tape coat hanger jambo'. Done like a true Marylander, Rodney. I was proud of you, bro.

And... wait for it...

1. Danushka. 'Nuff said.

What was your favorite moment of the season. Tell me in the comments or on Twitter: @EatFellowHumans.

Tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out who you, Star fans, have chosen as the newest Food Network Star.

Ask Yourself These 10 Questions Before You Vote — Justin’s Rebel Recap

Congratulations, Star fans! You've waited 10 weeks for this moment. Indeed the power to transform the life of a formerly ordinary cook into a bona fid...

1. SteveT says:

I've had a suspicion for weeks that Russell is Vic Vegas in disguise.

• BGirl says:

LOL! Well, they both looked like punks. They both had many failures during the competition. And they both changed their POVs multiple times because they weren't sure why they were there (aside from really wanting to win, like everyone else).

2. Guest says:

My favorite moment continues to be the look of Alex Guarnaschelli's face at Danushka's attitude during the Chopped challenge. The Iron Chef/seasoned Chopped judge had that look that screamed, "I'm going to kill her. I've spent blood, sweat, and tears for these shows, and she's treating it like a joke?!" The scream caption posted, with Bobby Flay sitting next to Guarnaschelli in laughter, said it all.

• MoHub says:

And you'll note that during the Danushka montage, the "I did it out of boredom" moment was not included.

3. Sandy says:

Am I the only one who wishes Giada would go back to being a chef -- this attempt to make her sexy doesn't work for me. I don't even watch her shows now and she was my favorite before this new image was born. She doesn't need to expose her entire chest in order to cook.

• juliagb says:

How funny. For some time I thought the same thing. Her husband should put a stop to it or buy her new clothes that don't show all.

• Becky in 'Bama says:

Giada cooks the breast....er best food. Duh. She pains me.

• Kaley says:

She's doing a Clairol commercial now that presents her as being "hot". I love the girl. but don't understand the direction she is taking.

4. julliegb says:

Happy that Damarias won. She's attractive and pleasant and her voice is easy to listen to...these things count very much when watching a cooking show...besides the food the cook has to be appetizing to watch. Now we have a nice new southern cook who won't "you-all" us to death.

• Rhonda says:

She is going to be just fantastic! I hope the network let's her be her, and teach. She's so good at it.

5. Ms BB says:

My favorite moment was when Danushka, left. What the heck was she even doing on FoodNetwork Star????
    Star she was not and NEVER could be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jono says:

Danushka was more interesting than these three and she was a total bore. My favorite part is every time Giada claimed Rodney was interesting and entertaining. What was she smoking??

7. Mary says:

Happy Damaris won, but troubled that the last two years of FNS have placed an inordinate amount of emphasis on personality versus cooking ability. I want to watch someone who can cook, and who can teach me to be a better cook, not an entertainer!

8. Chef Alan says:

The voters finally recognized food over freakiness. Maybe there is hope.

9. fastfoodnot says:

Maybe im late to the party, but its not even a debate that the weakest contestant was given a show.
    Anybody who can think, who can discern, knows that Stacy or Nikki, were the strong contestants, and Damaris, was not even in the top 5...........Perhaps the FN decided it needed some type of "southern styled" replacement for Paul Dean, and felt that Damaris was willing enough and southern enough to almost fill Paula's shoes.....However, and no matter what, Stacy was the star and Nikki was just as good.....but Damaris, c'mon,:(((.......Both Rodney and Russel were much stronger "stars", yet even they are not even in the same galaxy as ither Stacy or Nikki........So, this particular episode of "Star" laid an egg and not in a good way as it proved that the the entire process and finalization is flawed and off the mark.

10. Kaley says:

I think it's obvious why Danushka was picked. She's a former model and most guys would think she is highly attractive. Thank God that was not enough.