The Top 10 Moments of Star, in Rebel Fashion

by in Recap, August 10, 2013

The Top 10 Moments of Star, in Rebel Fashion10. In the first episode, Chad crushed it right out of the gate. For those of us who have now watched nine seasons of this program, it's kind of a tradition to get a rush of excitement about one of the contestants in the first episode. Chad had it in a Cryo-vac'-ed bag.

Stacey Poon-Kinney9. Another favorite moment of mine in Episode 1 is when Alton talks to Stacey about how to address the camera and then she kills her presentation. Don't we just love seeing the magic of mentorship? Having been mentored by AB, I can assure you that the feeling we get from watching it on TV is only half as powerful as the feeling in real life — and look how far she ran.

8. Burger Bash. Man, talk about a meat grinder. So many bodies trying to do so many things. You had Chris eating raw meat, Danushka threatening toplessness, Lovely smashing her hamburgers into the grill, a freaking banh mi burger and Rodney, bless his soul, was like a speed metal a cappella solo. It was a classic FNS train wreck challenge and we ate it up like it was a Russell Burger with all seven sins on top.

7. "Semi-vegetarian." Welcome to the future, America. It's a cold, leafy reality, but it'll be easier to swallow now than later. (Also, did anyone else notice that Nikki's cred dropped the second she started pitching "meat on the side" as opposed to "semi-vegetarian"?) Authority is only as strong as the words we use to define it.

Chris' story of transformative power6. Chris' story of the transformative power of food. Have you ever been so touched by a contestant's relationship to food in all of Star's history? No. You haven't. Believe it or not, I used to not just be a rebel, but a real bad kid. I don't know a chef worth his salt with a clean record, myself included.

5. Damaris as judge. This is when we saw it first. She's an authority. She could have been Susie freaking Fogelson at that point.

4. The fact that we all wanted Viet to take it, deep down inside.

3. Pizza-dough doughnuts. I've never seen something so hotly contested on almost all of the Internet. Robert Irvine was chiming in, Giada's recipes were called into question and I got nasty-grams on Twitter for poking fun at the whole thing. Really!?

Danushka Lysek2. Rodney's morning-shower-engendered pie song mason jar duct tape coat hanger jambo'. Done like a true Marylander, Rodney. I was proud of you, bro.

And... wait for it...

1. Danushka. 'Nuff said.

What was your favorite moment of the season. Tell me in the comments or on Twitter: @EatFellowHumans.

Tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out who you, Star fans, have chosen as the newest Food Network Star.

Ask Yourself These 10 Questions Before You Vote — Justin’s Rebel Recap

Congratulations, Star fans! You've waited 10 weeks for this moment. Indeed the power to transform the life of a formerly ordinary cook into a bona fid...

1. guest again says:

IT 'LL be DAMERAS they need to replace Paula

• CarrieAnn says:

They do , but damaris isn't Paula by a long shot. They both Cook southern food , But they have 2 different success stories !

• guest says:

I admit that, throughout the show, it seemed like the network was anxious (to the point of desperate) to fill the Southern vacuum left by Paula Deen. Granted that Dameras could hold her own, but I can imagine a sigh of relief when the judges realized that she could cook and personable.

• Valerie says:

I agree, that's is why she won. But I won't be watching her.

2. Deanna says:

Congratulations Damaris! Looking forward to your show!

3. Whispa says:

DEMARIS WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus no more Pie Style so even bigger WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Myra says:

WOOT, Damaris wins!! I was watching another website that follows FN, gossip "Food Network" and their poll showed she had 72% of the vote on their site. They also showed that even if she didn't have the popular vote, they had the option to go by our comments in the blogs and override the one with the most votes.

They also, have the Scripps FN 2013 proposed lineup. Look for it,.

• linda caldwell says:

how did that happen that was the wrost food network contest ever the Food Network is Looking for another version of Paula Deen that southern type she did not deserve that there were others that did much better than she did food network shame on your . shame on you/

5. Karen says:

So sorry that Russell did not win but very happy that Rodney didn't either.

• MoHub says:

I don't think the public was ever clear about Russell's POV—and neither was he. Had he emphasized occasional indulgences and not led viewers to believe he was endorsing all unhealthy food, all the time, he might have garnered a larger following. I still voted for Damaris, but I would have definitely taken Russell over Rodney.

• BGirl says:

I agree with you MoHub. All Russell needed to add to his POV as "Rebel of Sins" (or whatever it was) was a pack of cigarettes.

6. BGirl says:

I fell asleep just before the announcement of the winner. Thanks for the news. It's a relief it wasn't Frick or Frack. When the panel was singing Rodney's praises and claiming he was the most entertaining cook, I sat there wondering why they could think that. I must have been watching a different show the whole season. I never understand the love fest for that chump, Mr. Pie Stahhhhl. Now, he's free to play his guitar and sing off key while bakin' them piessss. So long, Sucka!

7. MKS says:

I liked all three finalists. I liked their personalities and I think they would each be entertaining to watch. But I didn't get a clear idea about what Russell's and Rodney's shows would be like. People would be interested in eating their food, for sure, but would they be interested in preparing it? How many people, for example, have ice cream makers to make the bacon ice cream Russell made in the pilot? Would we even learn recipes from their shows or would they be more like throwdowns? All this wasn't clear and I think that was why they didn't win. It was easier to see what Damaris's show would be like.

8. kimmy says:

I might be the only person that would love to watch a show with Danushka. I think her dry, snarky humor is hilarious. *shrugs*

9. Guest says:

Damaris was the right choice. FN does not need another annoying, sloppy, jive-talking, non-cooking Guy Fieri clone. Heck, it doesn't need Guy Fieri, the most annoying no-talent on the network.

• julilagb says:

I totally agree with you and GF has way too many shows running consecutively. Maybe he has stock in the company.

• Fl Senior says:

I have commented to Food Network several times about GF and DD&D and the glut of his shows on the network....I know that we're not the only people who are sick of him and yet he continues on and on.

• Kaley says:

I love Guy. He's a very talented and accomplished person. He knows food and knows how to give props to others in DD & D. It's really not that easy to do what he does on DD & D and he does it well.