Revisiting the Humble Spud: Watch Star Salvation 3

by in Videos, July 7, 2013

For the first time in Star history, one eliminated contestant will have a chance to re-enter the competition in a four-week Web series called Star Salvation, presented by Buitoni. Last Sunday, host Robert Irvine tasked Viet, Danushka and Lovely to make something out of "failed" foods like overcooked pork chops, mushy veggies and burnt nuts. In another double elimination, Viet and Danushka left Food Star Kitchen for the final time.

Going into the third episode of Salvation, Lovely — who's now on a winning streak — will have to face newly eliminated Chris. This week they'll revisit the humble potato (like in the premiere episode of Star), but in a slightly different form. Who will be one step closer to returning to the competition?

Click the play button above to watch the third episode and find out who will advance to next week's final episode of Star Salvation.

More Star Salvation:

Guess Who’s Back: Luca

After ousting six hopefuls (including two fan favorites) in Star Salvation, Luca proved himself worthy of a second chance. He entered back into the co...

1. Mary says:

I think lovely should go home. Did anyone else see her giving darmaris dirty looks when she was crying. I wouldn't and won't watch someone with a cold heart. She turned me off when she did that.

2. Guest says:

Really now? Lovely? Can't even make potato chips the star of the dish and she is still in the competition? I don't get what FN is thinking. Don't think I will be watching the remainder of this season's Food Network Stars or Star Salvation. FN needs to get out of reality TV business and get backing to cooking.

3. Sue says:

I don't like the Jerry Springerized Food Network

4. Myra says:

No way Lovely won for throwing in some crushed potato chips as an after thought, they had no place in the dish. What is going on? This appears to be completely rigged. I'm disgusted.

• Michael says:

Agreed...it's BS to reward someone for completely avoiding the challenge while Chris does exactly what they asked (come on how do you center a whole dish on potato chips) and gets penalized. He might as well have rolled a piece of chicken in egg and crumbled chips instead of trying to wow Cheff Irvine. It's completely obvious that their plan is to put Lovely back in.

I will say that she has been a little less obnoxious in the salvation challenge.

5. Jon says:

I swear if Connie (I refuse to call her that stupid phoney name she gave herself) gets back on the show, I am deleting the season pass and I am done with food network. I don't really care about the Paula Deen fiasco to warrant a boycott just due to what she did 30 years ago, but Chris did seem to make a better meal. While I didn't care for him on the show, he did seem like a sleazy scheister, but Rodney should definitely get thrown off. I think these webisodes I lost all credibility for Irvine. I actually was hoping for Viet. His confidence needs to increase, and there really isn't anybody I like to win now. Oh well.

• Alysoun says:

Agree with you on Connie. FInally got to see some of her mercifully brief stay on "Hell's Kitchen", much of which she spent disappearing from the kitchen on long breaks. Every time Ramsay addressed her it was to say, "Lovely? This is NOT!"

6. Craig B says:

I would watch Chris (or perhaps Russell) every week if he had a show. I wouldn't watch Damaris, Stacey, Nikki, Rodney, Chad, or Lovely. I think Chris was the most genuine person on the show. And he can cook his a** off. Robert Irvine should be ashamed of his "judgements". There is no way Lovely met the challenge or prepared a better dish than Viet or Chris. I'm done with this season. This show has about as much credibility and integrity as Mystery Diners.

• Crouton40 says:

I see it differently. To me it looks like Damaris or Russell have a good shot at things if they just feel confident without being cocky and do what they do best.

Last week, I gave Chris credit for doing better than before. But tonight he was again back to sounding like a salesman who want to take us on a journey and about passion, etc. I DO think Chris has good food knowledge. His problem is communicating what he knows in a way that is both specific and engaging. That, he doesn't really do. I think he has a good heart and seems to care about charity. Last week he explained his food well but he needs to be more relaxed and articulate. I do think FN should have kept Chris this week over Rodney.

• beachinfrizzy says:

Yep. Chris had a major A-Ha! moment when he got such positive feedback upon giving the history behind the apple ketchup, how it combined the apple orchard with the big ol' smoker. He probably has a lot of those types of stories which could stand on their own merit, if only he'd stopped trying to sell sell sell the "food as salvation" angle and just spoke in a normal conversational tone instead of an imaginary megaphone. I haven't seen any such development out of Rodney... it's as if he's slap-dashing through the challenges just so he can write a song about it.

• Crouton40 says:

...."slap-dashing through the challenges just so he can write a song about it."
          (grin). That was cute. I could see him doing that.

7. Chuck6886 says:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Food Network is purposely trying to get Lovely back on the show to try to save face because of what happened with Paula Deen. If they get her back on there they probably think it will help take some of the pressure off of them. In reality it will just make them look worse. This season is quickly turning into a joke. There is NO WAY that Lovely should have beaten Chris or Viet. Both clearly out-cooked her. Robert Irvine should be ashamed for not following his own rules this week and as for last week he criticized Lovely's dish a lot more but still gave her the win. Further proof that the "fix" is in for Lovely.

• NoMoreConnie says:

Finally! I so agree! That is why I want to know the timeline of this show being taped and produced. If this is there way of trying to save face with the Paula Deen thing ( which I say BS to, anyway) then shame on FN, for lying o this poor woman and telling her she is a great "cook"!

8. Paul says:

What is going on with Robert Irvine. Seems these webisodes are rigged. After tonights show and webisode I can no longer watch. Cooking really does not factor in on The Food Network?? The whole thing is made up reality TV. Bobby Flay and Giada I am really disappointed in you both.

9. Chris Velazquez says:

I personally am very happy to see Lovely stay, I am really rooting for her. I don't really mind that she wasn't more creative with the dish, because it looked delicious, and according to Chef Irvine, it tasted as good as it looked. Chris was the more creative one, bt it seems he made the soup much to salty. Creativity is great and all, but flavor should always be the top priority on judging a dish. I feel that had her dish not been as tasty as it was, Chris would have stayed, but she pulled it off on the most important aspect. Her chips might not have been the star of the dish, but she found a way to make it blend perfectly with all the components of the dish, that certainly counts for something.

• CVeraS says:

Your comment makes sense - even though I personally like Chis better. Thanks for speaking up for the other side.

10. CVeraS says:

I want that recipe for bacon "candy", and the smoked apple catchup looked good too, totally aside from the presentations. Russell seems to have found his balance and it was so funny to see all 3 of the guest judges react so strongly. I am still rooting for Damaris. She has taken a lot of bull from the judges that hasn't been called for. The poor girl is afraid to move - somebody might call any shoulder movement a "shimmy" - heaven forbid!

• beachinfrizzy says:

Right? So after Giada called her out on a barely there (if at all) "shimmy" last time, Damaris played it perfectly straight in front of the food company big-wigs...and when they told the judges they thought she was too reserved, they did a total 180 and were all "We LOVE the zany!! Bring it back!" She's gotta be thinking, What the heck?

• NoMoreConnie says:

It is because Giada fears Damaris. She can cook, isn't ugly, and has a fabulous and fun personality!a

• beachinfrizzy says:

(chuckle) Didn't even think of that. The Queen Bee keeping close tabs as the upstart butterfly charms the Drones.

• Ann says:

Giada seemed almost happy when she told Damaris her time was up. You could be right.

• LauraLee says:

You got it. Giada can always say some other woman's food is bad and shoot them down. You're right about Damaris.

• Crouton40 says:

How true. I was disappointed to see that. While I don't think any of them are perfect, Damaris has alot to offer.

Contrast her to Rodney. She is taking to heart the judges advice and doing a wonderful of following it--and then she gets jerked around about it. No one deserves that. Just avoid the shimmy (and last time they accused her of it and she didn't even do it!)--and be that knowledgable and vivacious lady she is.

• Cynthia says:

Giada feels threatened over any competition or other attractive women.