POLL: Who Went Home Too Early?

by in Community, July 6, 2013

POLL: Who Went Home Too Early?It's hard to believe that Star is halfway over: It started with 12 hopefuls and after tomorrow night's episode, there will only be six left. Viewers have witnessed ups and downs — pitches that nailed it (like Rodney's), dishes that wowed the judges and one-liners that have left fans, finalists and the mentors speechless (like Danushka's). And who can forget that awkward shimmy Star fans have seen not once, but twice?

So that leads to the question: Do you agree with all of the judges' elimination decisions so far? Did someone go home too early in your opinion? Five talented and unforgettable finalists have said goodbye, but was it too soon for any of them? Vote in Star Talk's poll.

And don't forget, one contestant will receive a second chance and re-enter the competition after competing in Star Salvation.

Tags:

Now Casting: Food Network Star, Season 10

Guy Fieri, Justin Warner and Damaris Phillips. These three Food Network chefs weren't born into stardom; it took a journey from fandom to fierce compe...

1. Crouton40 says:

One never knows what the network might do. I can only hope that their decisons makes sense.

Sometimes, we wonder. i remember last year when they let Emily Ellyn go. There was a HUGE outcry. Over 1000 posts in one thread afterwards. They started another thread. Over 200 there in almost no time at all. She had so much going for her. It seemed as if the network was just suddenly abrupt about it all. Some posts in her favor have +20, or even higher. I think the threads are still here. Buried on page 8? 12? 15?...somewhere.

i would much rather keep otherwise excellent chef who had a stumble along the way, than to throw them out the window and keep someone else who is just sorta there and never really knocked it outta the park. But, who knows what may happen? It should be quite interesting.

• Crouton40 says:

Oops. That should have been a reply to Shannon my previous post, above. Where's that coffee?

• Crouton40 says:

Found it. The Emily threads. If you click on Star-Talk home and scroll down, then click on pg. 9 (as I write this)...there are 2 threads about Emily Ellyn---Aari's After Party (over 1100 comments, mostly about Emily), and another thread "farewell to retro-rad" with over 300 comments. There was also (somewhere) a third thread "Who would you MOST like to see brought back?"...this was all last year...but we're just sitting around waiting for tonight's show to start....she sure had alot of people liking her.
      I wonder what's in store for tonight....

• Shannon says:

Exactly Crouton ! So you understood what I was saying. It seems t be the MO each season. At this time in the game I would not even wager to guess who will be leaving tonight, it just may come from left field. I also agree with your point that I too hope whatever decision they make, makes sense to the rest of us.

• Crouton40 says:

Hi Shannon,
          Yes! We are about at that point. I'd give you yet another thumbs-up if I could.....
          I understand, and it's just too darn sad.
          I hope this year will be better in that whole regard. Even next week after tonight, too.

It comes across as if someone -has to somehow be - "a sacrificial lamb." Why?
          And the awful part is, its usually someone the audience LOVES!

Sigh....I don't even wanna think about it....there are 3 or 4 with good potential. I hope the less-deserving go 1st....but I remember last year with Emily (who btw is doing very well for herself these days.. .www.emilyellyn.com)....and also the outcry in another season when they let Brad Sorenson go. It's not necessarily that he was best, just that there were more obvious ones who were worse at the time.
          I may need to get some of my own beer after all...we'll see. Cheers!

• Penelope says:

I actually thought Marty would have had a great show - with recipes that people could actually use. Justin was fun, but would you eat his food? That's probably why they can't build a show around him. I liked all of Alton's team, to be honest.

• BillO says:

I'm with you on Martie.

• Crouton40 says:

Martie was an interesting case. In the beginning I felt she was darn-near hopeless. But -she really buckled-down and took the judges advice to heart -and in the last couple episodes of the season I was quite impressed with how far she had come. Proof that the judges really CAN help someone to improve and shine who we wouldn't think could in the beginning. She wasn't my favorite, but of the ones left standing at the end...i seem to remember wanting either her or Yvan for the win.

• Cindi says:

Even though she did not win the season, Martie would do great as a "Seasonal Host"! A go to for Holiday?/Party prep and planning...

• Crouton40 says:

I think yer right. Martie is quite warm and friendly. By the end, she had much more confidence than I ever would have guessed.

• Penelope says:

I saw Emily Ellyn as the sous chef (if that's the correct term for a bake) on Cupcake Wars. I liked her, but, to be honest, she did seem to have some emotional issues about the era she chose to embrace.

• Shannon says:

She did seem to get emotional at times, but I think that was just because the "mentors" were digging and probing and way too invasive. She did have deep feelings about her concept/idea, sometimes that extra emotion of a creative person is where the creativity actually comes from.

• Crouton40 says:

I think if the mentors woulda just left her alone and stopped with the baring her soul and confronting inner demons, etc., etc...she would've done far better. There were THREE threads about her after she was gone. Two...and another one about "who would you most like to see brought back"--which she easily won (from the responses) by 5 country miles!

2. nancy says:

I don't understand what the judges see in some of these contestants...they always send the good ones home and ones I wouldn't spend my time watching are the ones that usually win. I think Food Network is going downhill with their programming and I watch less and less. Guy Fieri, Arti and maybe Aaron are the only ones I would consider watching that came from this show.

3. Myra says:

I hope FN wises up and gives Viet a show. Asian food is so popular, yet they don't have anyone that can cook Asian food. Just for learning techniques would be enough reason to watch him, the guy actually knows what he's doing, which seems to be something else FN is missing. I don't have the Cooking Channel, so I hope they don't place him there.

We don't need yet another person barely able to cook trying to compensate by babbling about some completely unrelated nonsense for 30 minutes to distract you from the fact that they only slightly know what they're doing. Enough already!!

4. Callie Carver says:

Q: Who went home to early?

A: Viet.

• Food Network Fan says:

Totally agreed with you Callie. His culinary skill is far better than all the remaining contestants. I guess NFS has become more of a "spoke person" for the show then a REAL CHEF. I watch FN to learn how to cook...but so far I'm so disappointed. Don't think I'll be learning to cook from FN anymore. Time to check out other options.

5. joyce says:

Wow, watching the show right now. Stacey and Rodney are being shoved down our throats!

• Linda says:

I agree more so Rodney than Stacey but I do agree with you

• Guest says:

I couldn't agree more.......especially Stacy who has yet to finish all of her challenges! Really you should be disqualified if you get help from someone else.....I didn't think this was a team concept show

6. Bonnie says:

Stacey has been my favorite from the beginning and I really hope that she is the last one standing. My other favorites are Damaris and Chad. I think they all have more stage presence than any of the other contestants. I can't stand Lovely, Rodney and Danuska, and Nikki can also get very annoying.... I don't think I would ever watch any of them on a show if they end up winning. I think Viet was the one sent home too early. I think he would do a great job if he could get over his camera shyness...he seems like a very accomplished chef with an awesome smile.

7. shelley says:

do y'all not remember Viet from the 2012 season of Extreme Chef. He was also on Iron Chef. I think they thought he would make a good addition on FN and then it just didn't work out. He was very stiff in front of the camera, but he was a great chef it seemed. So the big question here is what is more important? What can be taught easier? . The showmanship or the ability to make good unique food. I think Viet leaving before Chris or Ron answers that question .

• BillO says:

Viewers can't tell what your food tastes like. They can tell if you're someone they want to spend a half hour with. This is the entertainment industry first and foremost. If someone switches the channel after 5 minutes everyone loses. It's just like they told Nikki about the color of her sauce- you can't afford to lose your audience with your presentation.

• Kevin says:

I know right Viet had a problem or 2 but he can kick ass in cooking I was hoping he would win star salvation but Lovely beat all of them (Daniella, Andres, Danushka, Viet, and now Chris)

8. Whispa says:

Of the people left , I would watch Stacy , Demaris , or Russel, I do not much care for the other three though I can tolerate Chad, his cooking does not impress.

9. Noah says:

Here's my opinion on the eliminated contestants
    Daniela- I personally feel as if she didn't have a pov for her cooking and didn't know what she was doing.
    Andres- When he mentioned weigh lost in "Burger Bash" he could've had a shot but he went with a subject that didn't appeal to many chefs and home cooks.
    Danushka- Ughhh.... I didn't personally like her at ALL she seemed disrespectful at her burger demo showing off her "Physique" (model) and in " A Star Is Chopped" she fried something out of boredom really I was just saying "wow" :| for a minute and as Damaris says "you act like you don't want to be here and completely agreed with her elimination.
    Lovely- I really feel like she didn't cook her best the judges weren't impressed with her food that much, a pizza dough doughnut -_- I think she is going to win star salvation just due to how shes been performing. (She was also on a season of Hells Kitchen if you didn't know I believe she was the 5th or 6th out)
    Viet- I absolutely Disagree with his elimination. So they save Russell just because he can go to a commercial if Viet didn't mess up on the camera he could have dominated the whole competition and had a food network show but Im not sure if it would air considering Justin's show hasn't aired from what I know of
    (New)
    Chris- I think Rodney should have went home Chris could have went home a week or 2 later but he doesn't have a chance now being beat out by Lovely in star salvation but he put up mostly good dishes and he overcame his past life of being a alcoholic which I like that he told.

Out of the remaining competitors I would only watch a show from Damaris or Stacey

10. Crouton40 says:

As for who's left, here's my take on things:

I am not so much looking for any person (i.e WHO's doing it)....I am looking more for CHARACTERISTICS (i.e WHAT they are doing)---and what i want is: Awesome food, awesome personality, awesome teaching---*whoever* it comes from.

Last week and again this week, Nikki has been told she "lacks authority."
    Stacey has been doing better, but she is sounding too rehearsed and scripted. The judges say she needs more spontaneity.
    Russell can be either a good hit or a real flop.

While none of them are completely perfect, I am now leaning more towards Damaris. She's a great Chef, more consistent, and very likable. My 2 cents...