From Mistake to Magic: Watch Star Salvation Episode 2

by in Videos, June 30, 2013

For the first time in Star history, one eliminated contestant will have a chance to re-enter the competition in a four-week Web series called Star Salvation, presented by Buitoni. Last Sunday, host Robert Irvine tasked Danushka, Andres, Daniela and Lovely with a series of culinary skill challenges that resulted in a double elimination.

Going into the second episode of Salvation, remaining contestants Danushka and Lovely are joined by newly eliminated Viet, who is pretty sure he can outcook his opponents. This week they'll be tasked with making something tasty out of failed foods like overcooked pork chops, mushy veggies and burnt nuts. Who will be one step closer to returning to the competition?

Click the play button above to watch the second episode and find out who will advance to next week's episode of Star Salvation.

More Star Salvation:

Cook Your Heart Out: Watch the Final Episode of Star Salvation

1. Crouton40 says:

Oops...should be (above).."while he may NOT have done a total 180"...

2. Kat says:

Does anyone think Viet being kicked off is reminiscent of last season's Emily? He was popular in the Fan Poll and it's so early in the season, but they got rid of him anyhow? I don't get it.

• the Owl says:

NO. Emily was far more popular. Losing Viet was like losing Eric Lee.

• chiquibon2 says:

But Viet's cooking was not good enough and with that deadpan personality, he was beaten by less experienced cooks so what does that tell you? His beating Bobby Flay was pure luck! If he was good, it should have been him to come back as winner of Star Salvation but Lovely beat him fair and square.

3. Alysoun says:

I didn't get to taste the food, so we'll have to take Robert's word that prepared mustard works as a meat binder. Lovely appears to be more comfortable on camera than Viet, except she has nothing to say but a random string of nonsensical buzzwords like "glam" and "bling". Maybe she never outgrew being a little kid and winning people over with winks and smirks. Desmaris and Nikki catch criticism for that (though I personally don't see it in Nikki), but they have some content behind their presentations.

• Shannon says:

Alysoun, Do you think Viet threw the competition? It strikes me that he may have realized after these first few weeks that this type of show is not for him. He never seemed comfortable, and he was very graceful when he left and did not seem surprised. I like lovely, and your right we did not taste the food so who knows? I was amazed that Viet did not blow everyone else away when it was just based on the food. He is undeniably an extremely talented chef. When he lost the "salvation" I was shocked.

4. NoStarSalvation says:

Does anyone else think that the Star Salvation "challenges" fail to measure up with the challenges that the NFNS contestants are facing, or is it just me?

There are no face to camera interactions, no missing items or sets falling apart or "live" competitions. So whoever hey bring back, even though I would live to see Viet back, they still don't have that on camera personality challenge to see whether or not they can actually do this job.

• MoHub says:

Just another way in which this replicates what happens in Top Chef's Last Chance Kitchen. Those in LCK compete head to head in the equivalent of a Quickfire, and with a single judge. Much easier than scrambling around an often crowded kitchen with multiple other chefs and having to produce larger numbers of portions for appraisal. I'm seeing the same issues in Star Salvation.

5. 24Mom says:

Does anyone else find it strange that in the last Star Salvation episode they got rid of two people right away instead of one? How is that fair? I mean, if it is to be fair - each challenge saw only one person get kicked off and then as soon as Viet comes in - they get rid of two right away. Don't have time? Then don't bother having Star Salvation. I don't know how anyone can think that is fair.

• MoHub says:

In episode 1, they ditched two of the first four: Daniela and Andres.

• 24Mom says:

Yes, they did - but didn't they have separate challenges or am I forgetting something? There was challenge (1) prepare the ingredients - one person gone (Daniela) and (2) cook the ingredients - one person gone (Andres).

That is not what happened during the second challenge day - one challenge - lose two people.

6. 24Mom says:

I also find it strange - just as I did last year that the "challenges" are so uneven. How is it that the lights turn off and an alarm sounds an equal challenge to not having a whisk. I mean, at home - if my whisk isn't anywhere to be found, I open the drawer and get a fork. It is just common sense. Last year, it was the same thing. Can't you try to find more suitable challenges?

• Lissa says:

Absolutely! All of the other contestants faced horrible "challenges". Since they are done blind, it should be the same test for all. I can't remember who had the lights go out and the alarm going off, but the last time I checked, people are supposed to start exiting the building...NOT standing over an open flame cooking, while talking into a camera. Everyone, be sure to practice your fork skills! ;)

7. Myra says:

I can't believe Viet is gone, he is the only one I would be interested in watching, a highly skilled professional chef, someone that I could learn real skills from. And how is a main ingredient missing from your recipe on the same level as a whisk missing, lights dimming or something falling off a shelf??? He had the hardest issue to deal with. And then he lost only because of the other guy having a chance to do something that Viet was not given a chance to do? And that's a valid reason why exactly?

In the "second chance", I also can't believe that Lovely made something better than Viet. I'm so disappointed, bring Viet back, I want to see a talented chef cooking, FN already has too many untalented people with cooking shows.

• Noodles says:

I loved Viet as well, but he was given the chance to do something that should have been right up his alley: give culinary advice. Even I could list 3 dips. Unfortunately, his brain seemed to shut down when the ever seeing eye of the camera was pointed at him. He was given an opportunity and he blew it again. Although, in my opinion, he didn't blow it as bad as Russell or Rodney. The peppers though...he messed that one up pretty bad but I agree that it was way more difficult than a missing whisk or spilled oil.

In Star Salvation, I agree that Viet should have won. Lovely's dish couldn't even be eaten one element at a time because the mustard was too strong. That's not a good dish in my book. Robert had no criticism for Viet's dish at all.

8. Jamie says:

This is most irritating when remembering a special FN did on Giada, and how she was *not* naturally gifted in front of the camera to start... She had her culinary background and experience, as Viet does his, but she definitely struggled to speak seamlessly and without nerves! Makes no sense why they'd remove a talented chef who could still be given some opportunities to grow and blossom as a TV personality; it's worth it considering how successful he has been in his career, rising from the variety of adversity he's faced in his life. I have no interest in watching FN Star now that Viet's gone. He could've been the one interesting chef whose show I'd care to watch considering his genuine smile and grateful demeanor, yet he can kick ass as a legit chef.

• Cindi says:

I remember her early shows & it was in the early years of the network,,,,they had time to let her grow/develop....In "Today's World" of blogs and social networking, they expect people to be a bit more prepared/ready for what they are going into

9. PSG says:

Anyone can bring its if the menu and ingredients are of their choice. This show really stretches people beyond what they do everyday. Fun to watch.... The network folks will bring out the best of one.... Each is so different from the other.....who knows....most likely the network already does.

10. Shannon says:

I have a thought for everyone. Now, we all know that FN has a penchant for re-using personalities in all their "competition" shows. I feel it's to garner interest in shows you may not have previously watched. You see a familiar face and tune in to see what they are doing (love them or hate them). I have a feeling that Viet may be going to compete in the NICA competition. Will we be seeing more of some of these Chefs in that competition if they don't win this? I could see them using this competition just as a launching board for possibly Russell and Chris too.

• Crouton40 says:

I could see it happening. But then, -IF- they lose at the next place they go to...Iron Chef, Chopped, Top Chef, etc....then, let's be done with them. Tired of re-treads. They had 2 chances on two shows and lost both times. Enough. They still had TV exposure, name recognition and probably had their picture in the paper or a magazine write-up or two. Most people can only dream of even that much.