From Mistake to Magic: Watch Star Salvation Episode 2

by in Videos, June 30, 2013

For the first time in Star history, one eliminated contestant will have a chance to re-enter the competition in a four-week Web series called Star Salvation, presented by Buitoni. Last Sunday, host Robert Irvine tasked Danushka, Andres, Daniela and Lovely with a series of culinary skill challenges that resulted in a double elimination.

Going into the second episode of Salvation, remaining contestants Danushka and Lovely are joined by newly eliminated Viet, who is pretty sure he can outcook his opponents. This week they'll be tasked with making something tasty out of failed foods like overcooked pork chops, mushy veggies and burnt nuts. Who will be one step closer to returning to the competition?

Click the play button above to watch the second episode and find out who will advance to next week's episode of Star Salvation.

More Star Salvation:

Guess Who’s Back: Luca

After ousting six hopefuls (including two fan favorites) in Star Salvation, Luca proved himself worthy of a second chance. He entered back into the co...

1. Callie Carver says:

I can't believe Stacy won the 4th of July challenge. She let the 2 guests cook the food. And she is about enjoyable to watch as ice melting. She has that weird smile and those faces she makes. I hate when she is on camera.

• Shannon says:

I totally agree, I will also add the pork was overcooked. And she was not called out on it ? She is so fake, and you're correct Callie, What is up with that freakish smile? And why was she the only one in red white and blue? If they were not told in advance what the challenge was ...and this was filmed months and months ago..why was she dressed like that? Is she getting insider information?

• Crouton40 says:

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

• Tucker says:

Could it be that the show is completely scripted and the "winner" selected by food network before the first episode even airs???

• Donna says:

Couldn't have said it better. She does make weird faces. No way anyone should win if they dont do the cooking.

• SouthFNViewer says:

Fake is the word I feel like describes Stacy and she failed at pot pie!

• Penelope says:

I like her. My money is on her to win this puppy.

• Tina says:

How?

• MoHub says:

I'm not particularly fond of Stacey, but I do get the feeling she's being set up for the win. I believe she's one of the few Restaurant: Impossible owners who has sustained success after Irvine left, and I'm thinking FN is looking to build on its investment.

• Callie Carver says:

She never cooked in her restaurant, if you go back and watch that episode of Restaurant Impossible. She had one cook, and in that part at the end, it says that she hired an additional cook to handle the extra hours. She only handles the business end and the front of the house. Why would they want a Food Network star who wasn't known for cooking. I use to watch Food Network/Cooking Channel almost every time I turned on the TV. But they repeat too many things. I hate these marathons where they only run one show for an entire day or week. They need to mix things up. Love Ann Burrell's "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef", Chopped (but they are running that too often), Food Truck Road Race, Bobby Flay's Throw Down, Nadia G, (Debbie Mazar and her husband), Chuck's Day off, Eat Street, and Good Eats.
          Food Network I like both DDD and RI but you are running them into the ground. How about Jeff Marrow and Justin's shows being run during normal viewing hours?
          And unless you have a focus group that likes to see a food host smiling weird and making odd faces when she has the camera on her, maybe you need to re-think Stacey as a FN show host. It looks like she is passing a kidney stone.

• Lissa says:

Couldn't agree more! Did she even cook? If I remember correctly, the only shot was of her handling the meat for a second and then opening the grill. I'm not sure if I can stand to watch this season, since the camera is on Stacy ALL of the time. I cringe with every spastic smile; attempts to seduce with sleepy-eyed glances; and acting so humble. THEN to top it off, how the heck did she know to have the ever so convenient "Old Glory" sweater to wear! She's the chosen winner. She's perfection, don't ya know? Geez, she even had the run of twitter tonight. I'm done.

Sorry Food Network. There's too many Fake, Plastic people on Food Network now. We need more Alton Browns

2. preachinthetruth says:

Bobby Flay has once again played favorites. Viet is an amazing chef, who happens to have much support for his personality. He brings a new flavor to the food network. Also, he is someone who would very easily bring in younger viewers to the network. Bobby Flay needs to get off his high horse and get over the fact that Viet beat him, he cant help it if he is a better chef than Bobby. Giada (aka T-rex/Brat doll) needs to go deflate her head and her ego and accept the fact that she is not that great of a cook, I change the channel whenever she is on because I can not stand her cooking or her personality. BRING VIET BACK! People love him and he deserves to have a show, he has come from the bottom and grown into an amazing person. I would love to try everything and anything he cooks!!!

• RDCprc says:

I totally agree with you on all points. I was very disappointed to see Viet go and thought there was some jealousy on Bobby Flay's part. I used to love Bobby him but don't hold him in the same esteem now. As for Giada, I also change the station whenever she's on. She's so full of herself and that smile seems to be painted on -it's so unnatural. She talks to her audience like they are a bunch of babies. Her clothing is too revealing for a cooking show. Love Alton. There's nobody left in the competition that I would watch and the best thing they could do is bring Viet back.

• Kit says:

I agree. I hoped he would be given redemption but since he's out I'm not invested in the show anymore. The rest are all the same in my opinion.

• BringbackViet says:

Totally agree! I would actually watch Viet's show! If they bring Lovely back, I'm blocking the channel. Can't stand her!

• mielegirl says:

Viet may be able to cook, but he has no camera presence. You can't go on a tv show if you can't handle being in front of the camera. He seems to be a great guy, though.

• Courtney says:

I agree! I have no interest in watching these amateurs cook. Bring back Viet!!!

• Karma says:

So happy to see others see it as I do. It is dissapointing to see how the newcommwer judges water down the values to discern who may truly be the best chef who can guide those of us at home with tru culinary inspirations. I was looking forward to learning from Viet but obviously the judges were intimidated by his abilities, especially BobbyFlay who should have never been allowed to jidge him. Viet demostrated true dignity and class accepting his criticism with a smile. We. Admire you Viet.

• Kimberly McAfee says:

Completely agree! I will not be watching the rest of this season - or the new show that comes from it.

3. SouthFNViewer says:

The wicked witch is dead dead DEAD!!! Divanushka thinks she can cook but she has been shown to NOT have flavorful food. Why is FN recycling all these reality show retreads? It should be apparent that FN needs to get back to what people in the heartland want to see and not what FN New York honchos think we want to see of non chefs like Divanushka!!!

• Jim says:

Without Flavor, every chef is dead in the water!

• Jill says:

Thankful Robert finally sent the witch packing. She can not cook, she can not relate to anyone with a pulse, and honestly the only thing she could do is complain and put down her competition. I was sad to see Viet go but hats off to Lovely she impressed Robert which must be a very difficult thing to accomplish.

4. Shannon says:

I am shocked that Lovely out cooked Viet, I did not see that one coming.

5. preachinthetruth says:

Can we vote off judges? Lets start with Bobby and Giada.

6. Guest says:

Danushka is finally outta here!!!!!!!! However, they picked the wrong one to stay. Viet is a chef, not just someone who can cook. After all he beat Bobby Flay in Iron Chef America. Sorry I didn't get to see that. Not really fond of this season's Food Network Challenge. Believe FN is getting desperate. Put Paula Deen back on.

• MoHub says:

Unfortunately, having cooking chops is only part of the formula for a Food Network personality. One has to be able to present to camera and roll with unexpected problems, and unfortunately, Viet has neither of these abilities.

He might do better on Chopped or Top Chef, where it's all about the cooking.

7. Nicholas says:

How does Stacey beat someone who has beaten an Iron Chef? Do you think she could beat Viet 1 on 1 ?

8. GU est says:

GEEZ PEOPLE:

1.) What in the world is wrong with Lovely???? She was upbeat, liked talking to the camera, and her food seemed fine...one person on here wrote "don't let the door hit you on the way out"??? What is wrong with people commenting...so much venom and hatred for people you don't even know in real life. People are still human even if they seem to be two-dimensional on TV!!!!
    2.) Last week, as the judges pointed out, there were two taped sessions of the cooking segment. What seemed to happen to Lovely was and everyone else was their food probably sat around for the second take and of course the food isn't going to taste as good (rubbery lobster) as the first take. That is why the donuts probably went stale for the second taping.
    3.) I'm lol at the person who says Bobby Flay is jealous!!! Bobby Flay is a wealthy, famous, talented iron chef who I'm sure doesn't take this gig too personally. I find him the most down-to-earth compared to everyone else on the show.
    4.) Maybe this will be my last post, maybe not. I just don't take this show that seriously...it's entertainment. The only thing I take serious is the fairness of the competition, and maybe I should just give up on that since in essence, it's just reality TV.
    MTS

• Lissa says:

I really like Lovely. She needs to get rid a little of the "rehearsed" vibe, but all-in-all, she's enjoyable. However, if we can trust the judges, she had a few flops while on the show. Who knows though.

Also, I really like the quirkiness of Demaris! :)

As far as Bobby Flay being jealous of Viet. Um, he could be. One could see him shift a little in his seat whenever the defeat was brought up. No one likes to be bested, especially a Master. It's when you have everything, the fear of losing ANYTHING becomes the most unbearable. jmho

• Rachel says:

Damaris is fun. Her smile just radiates honest happiness! It shows that she really enjoys doing her cooking. There's something delightful about her that I haven't seen since early Rachel Ray. She won't be cooking booze, she will be cooking food. And she teaches. Stacey and Nikki cannot offer that.

• Getidofstarsalvation says:

I just don't get her pov of "glam" and I don't think she does either. The fact is she didn "bring it" during the chances she got to begin with. Let her go!

• mielegirl says:

Thanks for your #1! I totally agree, it's just a tv show.

9. Wayne says:

Dont care for Stacey...dont see a real personality there, but she seems like a nice lady. I think she has a pretty smile, but I wouldnt watch her if she won.

Viet just wasnt gonna be anything more than who he is...mild mannered. They dont like that on this show. He was destined to get canned.

Dont know how Russel stayed on this long...wouldnt watch him either....but he was kinda funny in the last episode galloping off in their western stint.

Rodneys jargon ...garbled, but he's real. Might watch a couple of his shows.

Nikki reminds me of Kelsey...and I never watch Kelseys Essentials.

Chad, Chris or Demaris are the only 3 that I might watch.

Noone to really root for in this season, but I like the show anyway.

oh yeah...i would watch Danushka ... ..she rolls her head and her eyes and wears her feelings on her sleeves====.IN MY OPINION...like Alton said...it hurts when you look..and as giada said...but you cant turn away.

10. Crouton40 says:

More twists-n-turns. Before the show aired tonight, I would have predicted that Viet (already knowing that the pressure was on to be more outgoing) would have used that knowledge to loosen up and be more smooth. Practice! Do dry runs. Whatever it takes. So, While he may have done a total 180, I had expected that he would have been better *enough* to survive over Russell (who has bombed-out before) or Rodney (who Bobby had said they were still waiting for a good Pie.) Stacey wins tonight, but didn't the butchers do most of the actual preparation, cutting up the meat, and cooking? I'll have a good deal more to say over the next couple days, about everybody.Just when we may have thought things were shaping up...some upsets. But--its not over yet. More soon.
    Crouton40---"Being Curious means Life is never boring."

• lily says:

I think Stacey won because this challenge was mostly on presentation, and she was very professional and worked so well with the guests on her segment. Not exciting, but not awkward and uncomfortable to watch like most of the others.

Re practice: Viet could try to prepare, but if you're not an extrovert who can improvise then it's not something you can quickly cram for. Still I would have taken Viet over Russell, who seems like a nice guy but doesn't have a real PoV and tries too hard to be "different" at the expense of the food experience.

• Shannon says:

Stacey did not deserve the win, Like you said lily..it was about being able to improvise or you end up giving a bad presentation. Stacey did not have to improvise at all...there was zero interaction between Stacey and Alton...the camera went to her and she gave her "scripted" spiel, with her faker than fake smile. That's it. No questions..nothing. There she was in her red white and blue...coming off like a bad commercial or a "filler" location segment on the local news. In the first challenge, if you can call it that, ...all they did was take a whisk away...c'mon.

• Brenda says:

We need more kitchen skills. If every chef had to make 5 different dishes of their choice against every other chef, my money would be on Damaris. She has made very good good already and didn't miss a beat when the items flew off the shelf. She taught us about her dish and didn't run out of time. The things that they would ding her on are less serious than the mistakes that others have made.

• Lissa says:

Agree with your observations of those who survived, rather than Viet. -- Next week, Stacey will be the winner once again. Bobby totally gave it away, stating to Stacey: "You should bottle your sauces, they would fly off the shelf." (something to that effect). Well, next week the contestants are going to pitch products! Gee, I wonder what Stacey will do? Oh my...

I much preferred the format of the coach mentoring potential talents. This format reveals the Network's pre-selected "Star" too easily. This just isn't fun, and "Reality" television should at least be that. lol

• Cerouton40 says:

Who besides the restaurant owners already have a product to sell? Will someone assign a product to each chef? if so, some may get a really poor product to pitch.....sigh....