Caption It: Bunny Ears

by in Community, June 28, 2013

Damaris Phillips, Russell Jackson and Nikki DinkiEach episode of Food Network Star runs for about 42 minutes total — not including commercial time, of course — but to produce that short amount of television, finalists, mentors, camerapeople and behind-the-scenes crew devote three whole days to filming a single show. Shooting often starts early in the morning and doesn't wrap until late in the evening, and while the process is indeed efficient and organized, the cast is surely left with downtime, both on the set and behind the scenes. It's up to them to fill that time on their own: Should they try to anticipate future challenges, hash out go-to recipe ideas, reflect on the competition in their journals or chat with contestants?

Given the sneak-peek photo above from Sunday's all-new episode, it looks as if Russell and Nikki have taken the moments before filming begins to simply goof around with each other, donning silly faces, lighthearted expressions and bunny ears. Do you think they've become slaphappy by their long days on set, or are they using the play time to de-stress from the competition? Will they be able to regain focus and professionalism before the next challenge begins?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out what's going on, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this moment in the comments below.

Click the play button on the video below to get an insider's look at what's to come on Sunday.

Now Casting: Food Network Star, Season 10

Guy Fieri, Justin Warner and Damaris Phillips. These three Food Network chefs weren't born into stardom; it took a journey from fandom to fierce compe...

1. Sukeysue says:

Be careful, George or you'll be the next one ostracized by the network.

2. Angela says:

Strike a fish face pose! WAKE UP, Damaris!!

• Heather says:

Looks like one of her enemies is afraid she might be doing good. She's paying attention. The other two are just goofing off.

3. Grandma Joyce says:

I have watched Food Network for years and am also very disappointed in the way the network and chewed up and spit out Paula Deen. It is my assumption, right or wrong, that she was being herself, as she has been all her life, running a restaurant in Georgia,when Food Network approached her, offered her a show and all the perks that go with the fame. They used her, made money, and instead of letting her contract run its course, they dropped her like a hot potato. Unfortunately, her contracts with everything else, is tied to the Food Network, so it is not surprising to see everyone also jump ship.
    So the morale of this sad story is- watch out other Food Network stars, after the network has used you, they are in fact a business, what happened to Paula will also happen to you. We have ALL done something for which we all wish we could reverse, where was forgiveness?

• Shannon says:

Grandma Joyce, Hmm, do you know this for a fact? Is there really a tie in to her contracts (with other companies) that she use the Food Network Logo, standing etc...or possibly they (FN) trademarked "Paula Deen" in some fashion?
      (I am remaining impartial to right/wrong in this situation.. not talking about that hot issue at the moment.)
      However your thought process would explain this historic dropping of her from sooo many companies. There has NEVER been anyone who has been (shall we say) "blackballed" to this extent in my lifetime. There have been many stars/celebrities who have commited/spoken atrocities(racist/homophobic/anti-American/illegal/fraudulent slurs in the past and have not lost every one of their endorsers and partners.

• Grandma Joyce says:

Shannon, I don't know anything for a fact about Paula Deen and Food Network.
        What I do know is when businesses put profit above all else, they appear to behave heartlessly.
        I have watched "for profit" hospitals dismiss workers in the middle of the shift as they down size.
        Is Food Network downsizing and removing "stars" with costly contracts?

4. Grandma Joyce says:

Sorry for the typo, should have read "disappointed in the way the network chewed up and spit out Paula Deen".

5. Crouton40 says:

A little over 3 hrs. yet to go out here in washington state.
    Already, I'm in suspense. Will Viet make a comeback after last week? Will Rodney make a good pie? Who will last 45 minutes? Who will be calm under pressure? Will anyone's food rock-the-house? Who will be sent home? Auughh, I'm ready to bite my fingernails. Just no way to predict this one....

• Robert Ostrowski says:

Crouton40 - I was in your state a few times since 1989 and the more I came, the more I was hooked over it, and what wouldn't I give to see someone from there be the NFNS as a result of their being part of the culnary fabric of its life! I share your feeling of suspense, but so far, the FN Selection Committee has tried their best to keep the best candidates each week and send the worst home. As for next week, I'm concerned that Russell and Rodney may be the next to go but based on one clip of next week, it appears NIKKI may slip-sliding down towards elimination. Oh, boy - the suspense awaits.

• Robert Ostrowski says:

Oops - I meant NIKKI may BE slip-sliding down towards elimination!!! Great-o on my proofreading!

• Crouton40 says:

Hi Robert,
        I may take some heat for this (but hey!--it's never stopped me before)--but--I AM more impressed with how Bobby, Giada and Alton are judging this year -in a better way. Specifically:
        1. I think all 3 of them (this year) are being more polite and yet still giving definite specifics on how and why someone is doing good, or bad. I have seen worse before--and I want to acknowledge the judges improvement. They are expressing it better this year. Specific, describing things, and yet (so far) believable and reasonable. Especially about who they are sending home each challenge and why. Good on evaluations/recommendations, too. Kudos to Bobby, Giada and Alton for this.
        More tomorrow.