Caption It: Bunny Ears

by in Community, June 28, 2013

Damaris Phillips, Russell Jackson and Nikki DinkiEach episode of Food Network Star runs for about 42 minutes total — not including commercial time, of course — but to produce that short amount of television, finalists, mentors, camerapeople and behind-the-scenes crew devote three whole days to filming a single show. Shooting often starts early in the morning and doesn't wrap until late in the evening, and while the process is indeed efficient and organized, the cast is surely left with downtime, both on the set and behind the scenes. It's up to them to fill that time on their own: Should they try to anticipate future challenges, hash out go-to recipe ideas, reflect on the competition in their journals or chat with contestants?

Given the sneak-peek photo above from Sunday's all-new episode, it looks as if Russell and Nikki have taken the moments before filming begins to simply goof around with each other, donning silly faces, lighthearted expressions and bunny ears. Do you think they've become slaphappy by their long days on set, or are they using the play time to de-stress from the competition? Will they be able to regain focus and professionalism before the next challenge begins?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out what's going on, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this moment in the comments below.

Click the play button on the video below to get an insider's look at what's to come on Sunday.

Now Casting: Food Network Star, Season 10

Guy Fieri, Justin Warner and Damaris Phillips. These three Food Network chefs weren't born into stardom; it took a journey from fandom to fierce compe...

1. spencer says:

They are all reacting to DARTH VADER who has just told them "You are strong, chefs, but you are not a Jedi yet."

2. Lori says:

Nikki could use a coupon for three sessions on a tanning bed.

3. paul says:

Danushka just told them "I'm back on your team."

4. BillO says:

It looks like Russell is creating a hostile work environment for Nikki. I think FN should Deen him

5. Valeri says:

What is on Russell's fingers?

6. animal lover says:

russel is acting so goofy! How will he keep his mind on his cooking. and what is danushka doing in that picture? she looks odd becuase the other 2 are acting silly?!

7. Shannon says:

I am looking forward to tomorrows episode. But I do feel compelled to say that The "Redemption Bit" is taking a bit of the luster away from future episodes of the show for me. I just don't like it, if you are out..your out. I don't really want to see them come back in down the road. I wonder if the remaining competitors know that someone will be coming back in? I wonder how they feel, if they know or how they will feel when they find out. I would not be happy if I were them, after all the hard work, giving it my all...nope. It's like failing to qualify in the Olympic trials, and then BOOM, you get to participate for the Gold.

8. Kelli says:

Damaris is SO pretty!

9. Guesy says:

Please whatever you do, DO NOT bring Lovely back! Can't stand the "glam" aspect thing!

• Robert Ostrowski says:

Guesy - RIGHT ON! After carefully looking things over and watching how Lovely has performed, I feel she could host a show per se but NOT as a real food authority expert. She has proven time and time again that she cannot cook food correctly, although neither did Andres nor Danushka all the time. I will give her credit for singing real good, thoujgh - even Bobby Flay was amazed to see how much of an effort was made to sing well on the part of all Musical teammates.

• JOEYLOVESBBQ says:

Right with you! I hate the "glam" nonsense and for a self proclaimed "party girl" she is pretty lame...

10. Sukeysue says:

What does it matter? It's childish, and half of the wannabe chefs are not even personable, but totally wrapped up in their own selves. And yes, I think what happened to Paula Deen was outrageous, and I totally agree Sandra Lee should go...she is a throwback to the 50's. Giada is good, but Alex & Anne are the best women on Food Network, although they aren't on enough.

• Dori says:

Ughh. What are you thinking? Anne Burrell is a really good chef but I change the channel as soon as she comes on. It's her. Alex and Giada are good. I don't see Sandra Lee as a '50's throwback. She helps people learn to cook and is easy to understand. The network needs people like that.

• JOEYLOVESBBQ says:

Im with Dori, Puala Deen was treated a little unfairly but she was annoying as a TV personality, I wanted to hit her every time she opened her mouth! Maybe it was her accent... I don't know but I wont miss her. And I don't care much for Anne, her cooking shows lack intrest, her reality type shows bring her of as a jerk, and I cant stand her hair! Yea Guy has the same style but he is funny and has great personality in the kitchen. I really like Sandra, I cook more of what she does then anyone else on all of FN. Alex is great too. I love her as a judge on chopped.