One-on-One With the Latest Star Contestant to Go Home

by in Interviews, June 9, 2013

Food Network Star Episode 2 EliminationEvery Sunday, Bobby, Giada and Alton take on the difficult task of eliminating one finalist in the quest to help guide fans to vote for Food Network's next sensation. And this is no easy task. Check back here every week to read Star Talk's exclusive exit interview with the latest Star hopeful to leave Star Kitchen.

If you missed the show and recorded it, don’t read any further — Star Talk is about to chat with the latest finalist to go home.

Andres GuillamaA childhood obesity prevention coach, Andres Guillama, was the second finalist sent home from the competition. His inability to commit to what could have been a successful culinary viewpoint prevented his growth on camera and in front of the focus groups. His "bland food," according to Bobby, didn't help his case. Week one's potato omelet with chorizo lacked seasoning, and last night's burger wasn't much different. Despite being eliminated, he left the competition confident in his future.

Do you think he deserved to go home? Tell Star Talk in the comments below.

You really had two POVs: teaching men how to cook and then you had a weight-loss/healthy angle. Why did you seem to put more focus on teaching men how to cook?
AG: I fully embrace my weight loss and am dedicated to helping other people understand that they are more than capable of making the same changes I made for themselves, but I feel as though young guys have an uphill battle getting to know their way around the kitchen. They could really use someone to be there to answer the simple questions — or the questions that seem simple to someone who knows how to cook. My dad was always there for me, and I can be there for them.

The dial of doom really does show the group how each finalist is faring with fans. Do you think you used this to your advantage? How did you feel about the dial in general?
AG: It seems like a good idea at face value, but the fact of the matter is that the focus group was just a small sample of a huge audience. Additionally, I was going against the grain and hoping to draw a new audience to the network, so I didn’t feel like the audience I was trying to reach was there.

Danushka, Andres and NikkiFor fans who were inspired by your story, what's the one piece of advice you'd share with them?
AG: Don't underestimate small changes. Something as small as to say you're going to drink diet cola instead of regular cola is the first step in the right direction. The road to your goal is a long one. I've been losing weight for a few years and still haven't reached my goal. As you reach your goals, you'll create new ones for yourself. If it takes you one baby step at a time, do it. Don't ever let anyone stand in your way or make you think it’s impossible. Anyone who says you can't do it is just jealous of your success.

How did you feel about the structure of the show this season, as in, no more teams?
AG: I was really hoping for the teams because it helps bring a sense of security, and I believe that brings about the best results in people. The solo act was kind of a thrown-to-the-wolves and fend-for-yourselves situation, which doesn't bring about the best results for me.

What were some of the biggest surprises you encountered?
AG: The biggest surprise I experienced was definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, the negative feedback on the meals I prepared. I was prepared for criticism, but it felt so overtly harsh. That said, I never argued with any of the criticism. When someone doesn't enjoy a meal I prepare, I take it back to the drawing board and work it out all over again because I refuse to make the same mistakes twice.

Who was the most-intimidating mentor: Bobby, Giada or Alton?
AG: Bobby was great and on point with everything he said. Alton was interesting, but Giada has the “I'm super-sweet, but I'll stare right through you" thing down. The Intimidation 2013 Award goes to Giada, in my opinion.

What's next for you?
AG: I'm going to keep doing what I do. I'll keep working on my personal goals, telling everyone my story so they ask questions, and I can help them answer their questions. I will never stop working towards a chance to be back in a position where I can make my voice heard to an audience larger than the one in my kitchen. I'm a pretty positive dude. I know something awesome will come my way.

Damaris’ Look-Back at Season 9 and Insider Advice for Future Finalists

Just one year ago, Damaris Phillips was preparing to begin the job interview of her life, an 11-week journey alongside just as many rivals that would...

1. Roxann Bale says:

I can't believe they kept Danuska, I would never watch her show and I feel Andre deserved time to find his POV. A POV can be found but a personality cannot!!!

I just lost a lot of respect for three Chefs I usually admire.

2. hunneysue says:

I have watched FN Star every season so far, but this has got to be the one season I really could care less about. After 2 weeks and someone so arrogant, nasty, drama queenish like Danushka stays I am not sticking around. None of the contestants really stand out yet but geez on one hand you have Stacey who was on an episode of Restaurant Impossible, Viet who was on Iron Chef (and even beat Bobby Flay), Chris was on Food Truck Race.... and then an ex super model.. hmmm.. yep talents are so evenly matched there. I don't like the format change either. Don't think I will even bother watching this season out.

• Dori says:

What if tonight shows us a kinder, gentler Danushka?

• Shannon says:

Dori, I can't wait for the show tonight'. I feel like Danushka was put in with a purpose she is an obvious antagonist. She made direct slurs about Ina and Guy (darlings of the network) that's the piece of the puzzle I can not figure out. There is nothing remotely normal about her making it into these finals, unless there was a plan all along.I am wondering if this was all a build up for a monumental change of direction for Danushka, if she is going to start WOWing everyone, have they set this all up? We will see.

• Dori says:

Can you see the viewers forgiving her? The damage is done.

• PlainWayne says:

I meant to reply to Shannon. There are 50,000 viewers out there...27 here, so most have seen no damage to forgive!

• Crouton40 says:

Ohhh man,
            You can say Broadcasting isn't the restaurant business -but so what? In this case, the same principle applies. i.e..Just like the comment cards about food & service, even though there may only be 27 in here as you say, you can bet that for everyone who takes the time to come in here and write something negative, there are gobs more people out there who don't write, but do feel, the same way. Maybe we should forgive, you. (nudge, nudge...what can I say? That was too good to pass up).

• martin says:

If the viewers forgive her then they should forgive anyone else. Who is worse? The network could be setting us up and her food might get better but people dislike her too much. The viewers will explode if she doesnt go home.

• PlainWayne says:

Right.."Danushka makes great food! Let's send her home!" Dolt.

• Crouton40 says:

They might. Did you miss last year? Giada's big emphasis last year was: likeability.

• PlainWayne says:

You have a great sense of drama. I think you are wondering the same sort of thing I've been positing. I haven't heard a "slur". I like Ina...don't care for guy. Blunt, truthful, and direct offends some people...not me. "Monumental change" I believe to be forthcoming. We'll see! Talk to you.

• Shannon says:

Plain Wayne, the slurs I meant were when Danushka stated that "people don't' want to see Ina,barefoot contessa" or "chubby middle aged Guy". When you are applying for a job, you generally don't put down other members of the team, especially when they hold such high positions within the company. In this case, other members of the family, since FN calls themselves a big family.

• PlainWayne says:

Expect it.

3. PlainWayne says:

14 minutes in...Am I right or what?

4. PlainWayne says:

I'm out

5. Crouton40 says:

Getting off the computer. Looks like some of you in other times zones are already seeing it unfold. I can't wait.
    I suspect we will see different people "on top" tonight compared to last week. The plot thickens....
    Just a couple more hours....

6. RANDALL says:

FINALLY, I DIDN'T THINK THE JUDGES WERE EVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL. DANUSHKA IS JUST AN ABRASSIVE PERSON!!!!

7. Ellen says:

I thought that FN made a big mistake by sending Andre home, when Danushka, the "domestic goddess" who has zero camera personality was allowed to stay. What's more, Andre got 1 more token than Danushka-2 factors which should have sent Danushka home. I'm rooting for Stacey. I saw her restaurant remodeled on Restaurant Impossible, and it survived. I think she has great potential and has a fresh new POV.

8. stargirl10025 says:

I think Danushka was kept around b/c producers/judges thought her horrible television demeanor might improve ratings by giving fans something to talk/write about. I would have preferred something else to talk/write about. It was a mistake and simply made the show look unfair. She was extremely unpleasant on camera from the beginning. About dang time she was sent home.

9. Pat Catrter says:

Elton Jones, [THE JUDGE] needs to be judged and eliminated. He is pompous, arrogant and a "self-appointed" "Good Chef"....
    What are his credentials other than being an arrogant, pompous, ass?????????????????