Share Your Early Season Rivalry Predictions

by in Food Network Star, June 8, 2013

Share Your Early Season Rivalry PredictionsThe first episode of Star encompasses so much information: fans meet the finalists, they're introduced to the finalists' POVs, which may or may not change throughout the season, and, most-intriguing, fans get a good grip on individual personalities. Which Star contestant will have the most spirit? Which one will act as the mom of the group? And which will cause the most trouble?

With a lineup of finalists who have competed on Chopped, Iron Chef America and Extreme Chef, just to name a few, the competition is more cutthroat than ever, and with that brings natural rivalries. In the first episode, two pairs of rivalries were quickly established: Danushka vs. Lovely and Russell vs. Viet.

Viewers spoke their minds about the 12 new hopefuls on Twitter by using hashtag #FoodNetworkStar throughout the premiere, as well as the Fan Feed.

Now Star Talk wants to know: What are your early season rivalry predictions? Do you think they'll be game-changers? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below. Come back to Star Talk later in the season to see if you were right.

Get a sneak peek at Episode 2 (click the play button below):

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Kate says:

I have watched this show from season 1 and it has really changed from being a food based show to a drama and personality based show. When you're too bubbly like Melissa you're told to tone it down. When you're too laid back like Izzy you're told to perk up. And when you can't cook and have no personality like Danushka they keep you. One thing is for sure. Whoever wins gets a time slot that no one can find and many of the contestants that don't win get a show on Cooking Channel. Guy and Melissa are the only winners that have become successful with their shows and have moved beyond with cookbooks, restaurants, travel food shows. Maybe the winner should get a cash prize instead. Or maybe Bobby and Giada should give up some of their many shows to make room for another "Food Network Star".

• Crouton40 says:

I agree.
      And you've got me thinking. Suppose each one of this years cooks made their own cookbook.
      Could they--all make one?
      And who's would you want? No doubt people would have all sorts of preferences.

On another note--while I do enjoy all 3 of them, as far as mellowness vs. strongly outgoing, I would put Ina on the mellow end of the scale and Guy & Melissa at the other end. All three are quite successful. So, I don't think things always need to be so "over-the-top". I suppose there's risk either way. Someone too mellow may not have enough humor or be entertaining enough. But someone larger-than-life can be too intense and off-putting. I can be "drawn-in" by people towards either end as long as they're not too extreme. For me, it's more about just *not* being a turn-OFF. I agree that they should make more room for new stars. Some folks just have too many shows.

2. Synjmom says:

Gordon Ramsey got it right when he sent Lovely home from her brief moment on Hell's Kitchen. He called her useless. That was four years ago. The only thing that seems to have changed is she got four years older. She is insufferable calling her POV "glam" food. She'll never be a Food Network Star. The selection committee is made up of smart people. You can almost hear the teeth grinding when some of these "finalists" start talking.

• Carla says:

So that's it? Someone does bad on one show 4 years ago and so they can't possibly be any good now? Are you always so once bad always bad about everyone?

• MoHub says:

People do reassess and change. Both Tiffani Faison and Dale Talde took a good look at themselves on Top Chef and worked to fix the negative aspects of their personalities. Both were quite likable by the time they appeared on All Stars in season 8.

Lovely needs to be judged as she comes across now, not 4 years ago.

• Crouton40 says:

Agreed.
          I am also a lil' curious about how this may also play out with Stacey. Everyone is talking about her having been on RI. I've mentioned it, too. I am concerned -but willing to see what she does, now. I wonder if she and/or Lovely and/or Chris may suddenly take-off and surprise us....but I dunno. They might be wildcards, or, maybe not. Will hafta see...
          Meanwhile, some others are already ahead. I have a hunch we may see some new people do well this next time around.

3. Lemur says:

A lot of folks saying that they'll give up watching FNS if Danushka doesn't go soon. The problem here is that all the shows up to the finale have already been taped, and FN can't react to our ire over her. Most likely they'll keep her on for freaking EVER. And hopefully NEXT season of FNS they'll FINALLY notice how many viewers they lost and go back to their earlier more friendly format. By then, of course, it may be too late for FN to bring those viewers back.

It's a real shame that FN doesn't seem to get the fact that a majority of their viewers are NOT watching the Kardashians or Survivor, Big Brother and other shows where they need a villain. In fact the first few seasons of Top Chef turned me off precisely because I could watch FNS instead, and at the TIME that embodied healthy competition. Now Top Chef's getting kinder/gentler and rather than realizing that they were the model for that, FN is swinging in the other direction.

I'm really starting to wish that FN would get some more competition for food programs. Maybe then they'd realize that what they've been giving us is NOT what we want.

Yes, FN, your viewers want great shows about food. We want to watch chefs who are knowledgeable and vivacious. We want a clear POV so we know whether or not it's a show we're interested in devoting our time to.

If we want to watch a fashion show, there are channels who do style better than you. If we want to watch bitchy people backstabbing each other, there are channels who do that better than you. (And note that most of us DO NOT.) If we want to watch people who are over-the-top in love with themselves, there are desperate housewives all over the bloody place.

What makes a great FN host?

1) They have mad skills in the kitchen.
    2) They have good communication skills and are great teachers.
    3) They are human beings with decency and integrity and a sense of kindness.
    4) They have an interesting POV about food.

What do I personally watch when I'm not watching FN? Or even when I am: Animal Planet stuff, uplifting programs like Undercover Boss, The Messenger, Chef Jeff's show, Jamie Oliver and his campaign for good food in schools, So You Want to Be a Superhero? CNN Heroes, Manic Organic, Pit Bulls and Parolees, Pit Boss Dr. Pol, Hallmark Channel, even though it's hokey sometimes. Basically any program where they're looking for the best in people or to help bring good to the world.

What do I do when I'm not watching TV and not working and not running my family farm? Counsel others (I'm a minister though not the "normal" sort) work on feeding the homeless through the Food Not Bombs project or work on putting together my future animal rescue.

I'm going to make a few guesses about the "average" FN viewer. Fellow commenters, please tell me if I'm correct.

1) We are fascinated with food and cooking . (Well, duh, that's a given.)
    2) We are curious, inventive and intelligent.
    3) We are highly concerned with the quality and safety of our food. We aspire to grow or buy organic and heirloom when possible, but recognize that's not always an option. (And we actually know what organic and heirloom mean!)
    4) We tend to want to see the good in people rather than the bad in people. (This one is a biggie, FN!)
    5) Many of us are involved in some manner of volunteerism and giving back to the community at large and those of us who aren't yet, strive to be and will when their situations allow it . (This one is a guess, but I'm,betting I'm not incorrect.)

SO FN, if I'm correct, how about some programming that reads to our values?

4. Lemur says:

What makes a great FN host?

1) They have mad skills in the kitchen.
    2) They have good communication skills and are great teachers.
    3) They are human beings with decency and integrity and a sense of kindness.
    4) They have an interesting POV about food.

1) We are fascinated with food and cooking . (Well, duh, that's a given.)
    2) We are curious, inventive and intelligent.

SO FN, if I'm correct, how about some programming that reads to our values?

Rivalries amongst the contestants? I really don't care. Why are we even asking this question?

What I want to know: Which contestant goes out of their way to be helpful and do the right thing even when it might mean they help a "rival" get through the day?

5. Clive Carrington IV says:

An embaressing amount of your concerns are valid but you lose people with the length of your dissertation.

6. Trula says:

Please make Danushka disappear. She is the worst contestant I have ever watched. Not only is she abrasivem full of herself, but downright ugly in actions, temperment and every way possible, but she stinks.

7. tickiejane says:

Danushka has no place on FN. Her attitude is condescending and arrogant. It is obvious that she has the that she is the only one who matters. there is no compassion in her or any tolerance of others. She thinks Nikki's name is strange, but what about her name? Her self serving attitude was evident when she walked into the room while waiting for deliberation and announced, "All hail the queen of the bottom three." I hope that she will learn some compassion and to think of others, but I doubt that will ever happen.

8. MaryMiller2002 says:

I am not certain who will win at this point but I am certain I would never watch a show starring Danushka. What a horrible person. I saw her on Chopped and was so excited to see her get CHOPPED. I don't think I've ever disliked a contestant on Next Food Network Star as much as I do her. I Like Stacy (I also saw her on a previous Restaurant Impossible - hope things are better). I like Chad but I don't grill that much. And I like the Veggie Girl and I LOVE her POV - meat on the side. Yes please. So for me if it comes down to those 3, I would have a hard time choosing. I was surprised to see Damaris as the lead in votes so far - and by a huge lead. She is not even in my top 7.

9. harleyrider says:

Vegetarians lose at arm-wrestling.

10. Dawn says:

Stacey on Food network star was on Restaurant Impossible, what's up with that?

• Solitaire says:

Well, Danushka was on CHOPPED, and Viet was on IRON CHEF and challenged/beat Bobby Flay. Didn't the barbecue guy (Chad?) say this was his third try at FNS? Perhaps they are running out of qualified contenders.

I am so glad Danushka is gone. I'm still surprised she is a model, because I never see any animation in her face. Most magazine models seem to be required to at least convey various emotions to the camera. She must be a runway model, because she always seems to sport that same bored look they all wear.