Caption It: Alton Means Business

by in Community, June 7, 2013

Alton Brown and Giada De LaurentiisWith only 11 weeks of competition between their premiere performances and the finale, Food Network Star hopefuls have the narrowest of windows to leave a lasting impression on the Selection Committee. It's up to them to find their culinary hooks quickly, sharpen their kitchen skills and ultimately convince the mentors of their staying power on the network. With Daniela's early departure last week, the contestants learned that most will not enjoy the time they need to prove their progress, and come Sunday, their star potential will be tested in a new way during live demonstrations at a Burger Bash-inspired event.

Check out the sneak-peek photo above from this weekend's episode: Alton's delivering what appears to be a not-so-gentle remark to the competitors during evaluation. Do you think he's speaking to the entire group, or is he singling out one finalist who's especially struggling? After just two weeks of competition, should the mentors demand progress, or should they understand the time it takes to learn and improve? How long is too long to wait for a finalist to demonstrate growth, on the plate, on camera and on stage?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out what Alton's saying, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this evaluation moment in the comments below.

Click the play button on the video below to get an insider's look at what's to come on Sunday.

Do You Want to Be on the Food Network Star Finale? — Find Out How

Food Network Star fans will have a chance to ask Alton, Bobby, Giada and all 12 finalists questions during the final episode, which airs August 10 at ...

1. Steve M says:

Great googly moogly!

2. cindy says:

You call this...a hamburger????

3. ImaUzer says:

Just to be funny.

Alton: "ALLEZ CUISINE!!"

4. JerseyGirl567 says:

My dog has better burgers in his Iams canned food!

5. Ansewap says:

Alton: BACON?!?!?!? YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO IMPRESS THIS PANEL WITH ADDING A LITTLE BACON?!?!?!?! IF YOU'RE GOING TO ADD BACON, ADD THE WHOLE RASHER!!!

Giada thought bubble: "Yep, Alton's got that right: I pity the poor fool who doesn't use a whole rasher to satisfy this group of judges, so this contestant better come up with something a bit better than just a few bacon bits....."

6. Gigi says:

"You can't have a finalist with the last name POON!"

7. Synjmom says:

Caption: "NEW YORK CITY?'

8. Ezra says:

What a rotten time for the Dulcolax to kick in.

9. Patricia says:

I think Danushka is a stuck up snob and I would never have her in my home. (i.e if her show came on I would turn the channel) She acts as if everyone is "beneath" her. I am also tired (already) of hearing Viet say, "I beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef". We know already. Show me you can cook and that you are a gracious competitor and who you are as a person.

10. galet09 says:

I really can't stand Alton Brown on Food Network Star. I never minded him before on his show, always finding him funny, brainy and quite informative. But on FNS, he comes off as being cold, hyper-critical and a know it all to boot.
    Bobby Flay on the other hand is a consummate pro. He has heart, wit, doesn't take himself seriously and I enjoy him on all of his other shows. He and Guy Fieri are the top two male FN Chefs for me, because they both have personality are great chefs and have heart as well. Many of the judges for the various shows are lacking in heart and are dang cold in my book. There are exceptions of course.
    For female chefs, I adore Paula Deen, and Rachael Ray. Both of them have the same admirable qualities I mentioned in the male chefs above.
    Alton pissed me off royally when he critiqued the contestants on the first challenge. He didn't have much good to say to ANY of them! Everyone of them got criticism except Rodney.
    This show would be perfect without Alton Brown. Get Guy FIeri or Bobby Deen (another great chef with heart), either one would be great!