Star-a-Day: Viet Pham

by in Food Network Star, May 30, 2013

Viet PhamYou heard it here first: Food Network Star is kicking off an all-new ninth season on Sunday, June 2 at 9pm/8c, and returning judge-mentors Alton BrownBobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis will be there at the helm. This year the mentors are tasking 12 hopefuls with weekly Mentor and Star Challenges in the ultimate multi-month interview for the chance to earn their dream television job: their own show on Food Network. While the contestants bring with them a mix of backgrounds — including culinary school, restaurant management, private chef and food blogging — they have but one dream, which is to become the next Food Network Star. From now until next month's premiere, Star Talk will introduce one finalist a day until you, Star fans, meet them on camera during the show.

Viet Pham, 34, was born in Malaysia and moved to California when he was a child. This James Beard Award semi-finalist grew up cooking for his brother at home and later graduated from the California Culinary Academy. Now the owner of a Salt Lake City restaurant, Viet was victorious over Bobby Flay in Iron Chef America Battle Ground Meat and is known for creating globally inspired cuisine.

Click the play button on the video below to watch Viet's casting video.

Visit the Food Network Star Headquarters for more exclusive interviews, plus behind-the-scenes images and videos of the finalists and mentors, and tune in to the Season 9 premiere on Sunday, June 2 at 9pm/8c.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. joyce says:

I have little respect for this gentlemen from his prior engagments!

2. Shannon says:

I don't dislike him based on his video and his past food network appearances. I am also not blown away by him, I will have to wait and see how he performs on this show. In my early opinion, he is just middle of the pack.

3. Grace says:

Aww, he seems so nice. Hope he wins :)

4. Lindsey says:

After watching him on Iron Chef his food seems interesting, but I am not completely blown away with his on camera personality. I think I will have to wait for later episodes to see if that improves.

5. Susan says:

He beat the king of burgers on Iron Chef Battle Ground Meats?! Out of the twelve contestants, he's the one I want to watch!! His potato dish looked the most interesting, too!

6. Brie says:

Charming smile!

7. Professional Chef says:

Viet is by far head and shoulders above the rest in cooking ability. I would watch his show. I am contemplating not watching the next food network star because how stupid does the network think the American public is??? Danushka is HORRIBLE!!!! She has the warmth of an enema. She has been on before and should've been eliminated. AND if I have to watch one more fat assed too perky southern Paula Deen wanna be, I think I'll barf!!!!
    A Professional Chef

8. Carla says:

He is strong on his cooking but needs work on camera. Do you like any of the others?

9. Billie says:

Viet underestimates his ability in front of the camera. I hope he relaxes more in the weeks to come and nails it. His cooking abilities are outstanding. I'd love to just try one of his dishes.