Star-a-Day: Damaris Phillips

by in Food Network Star, May 22, 2013

Damaris PhillipsYou heard it here first: Food Network Star is kicking off an all-new ninth season on Sunday, June 2 at 9pm/8c, and returning judge-mentors Alton BrownBobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis will be there at the helm. This year the mentors are tasking 12 hopefuls with weekly Mentor and Star Challenges in the ultimate multi-month interview for the chance to earn their dream television job: their own show on Food Network. While the contestants bring with them a mix of backgrounds — including culinary school, restaurant management, private chef and food blogging — they have but one dream, which is to become the next Food Network Star. From now until next month's premiere, Star Talk will introduce one finalist a day until you, Star fans, meet them on camera during the show.

After graduating from culinary school, Damaris Phillips, 32, worked front- and back-of-house restaurant jobs before returning to the same college to teach the next generation of chefs. Now living in Louisville, Ky., this self-described Southern spitfire grew up cooking dinners for her large family, and she is known for her unmistakable trademark wit.

Click the play button on the video below to watch Damaris' casting video.

Visit the Food Network Star Headquarters for more exclusive interviews, plus behind-the-scenes images and videos of the finalists and mentors, and tune in to the Season 9 premiere on Sunday, June 2 at 9pm/8c.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Tom says:

You are out-cooking them all. Luv yer smile and energy. Stay focused and best wishes..

2. steph says:

Go Damaris! Stay vivacious.

3. Roger says:

Her Star A Day pic and the thumbnail one of her in the kitchen peeling a red onion, are both very pretty, naturally. Perfect makeup and hair. Good cooking! Keep up the good work.

4. Jeff says:

Damaris has got what it takes. Kentucky kicks it!

5. Fortune Cookie says:

Damaris, a fan letter will soon arrive for you at the college. Keep up the good work.

6. Zach says:

She's gonna win. If she gets to the final two or three which is one more episode, she'll get the necessary votes to win. Rodney and Russell quite frankly shouldn't have made it past the final 8. They can't speak fluently about food and both of them screw up at something during the challenge. You can't teach Damaris' personality just like you can't get rid of the fake smile of Stacey. Girls seem to love Damaris and I'm a guy and I wanna date her. She's cool and not a phony, has improved, can cook, and has more room for growth. I'm voting for her.

7. Cateyes says:

Phony and needs to clean up her acting and her language. Was not impressed with any of the stars this year and seems we may be scraping the bottom. Granted I do not watch this channel anymore since they dropped Paula Deen but I did go on line to see who the final three was tonight.

8. Crouton40 says:

Sat. Night, Aug. 10th. 11:14pm, the night before we find out.
    Week by Week, challenge by challenge, Damaris has proven herself. Down-to-earth and fun personality, clear communication, reliable/great cooking. That's a real star, no matter which way the public votes.
    Pick any contestant. Ask yourself: if one of them had to cook 10 separate dinners for me, who would I want to do it? Would I want only pies? No. Would I want some ordinary chicken fried steak I could get in any restaurant? No. Would I want a bunch of lettuce/zuchinni/broccoli and very little meat? Not really. Would I want bacon ice cream with bourbon poured on it? No. But the Peppered Pork looked yummy and I'm sure there's more where that came from, and so...."it's "Definitely Damaris."