Cheers to the Rebel: New Star Justin Chats With Fans

by in Food Network Star, July 24, 2012

Justin Warner's Winning Moment Season 8Just one day after being crowned the next Food Network Star, Justin Warner was already on the job.

He stopped by Food Network’s offices on Monday to join a Facebook chat with some of his biggest fans. Offering a rarely seen glimpse of what makes him tick, Justin answered fans’ questions about everything — his hopes for his new show, the craziest meal he’s ever made, his favorite movies, hair product of choice and more. Read on for some of the best moments from our Q&A session with Justin and get to know this Rebel With a Culinary Cause.

Debbie Smith: Congratulations, Justin! Has the shock worn off yet? My question is: In five years, what other projects would you like to do for FN? I ask this because many of the stars branch out after their first show settles in. For example, Guy with his Big Bites, DDD and hosting cook-offs.

Justin Warner (JW): No, the shock has not worn off. I'm still stupefied. I think there is an array of applications for someone like myself.

Regina Petrucci: What's your favorite moment from being on the show?

JW: My favorite moment was when Martie got to make a pilot too.

Maria Eivers Medley: What was the one experience on the show that you wish you could have done differently or do over again?

JW: I rarely live with regrets, but I could have come out of the box a little stronger and been a better leader. Probably could have tried to defend my team a little better.

Alicia Kaity Audette: So excited for you! Any ideas on the format of your upcoming show? And will Martie be a guest?

JW: I'm open-minded and excited to meet professionals as this is my first time doing a TV show. If Martie Duncan can make an appearance, I would be honored!

Jessica Ng: Justin! Congratulations on becoming the next Food Network Star!! Since Alton Brown was your mentor and main "cheerleader," what is the number one lesson he has taught you that you will teach America in your new series?

JW: Everybody has something to teach. You just have to find out what you're here to teach. I'm here to teach people not to be scared of being wacky, because we're all a little bit wacky.

Katy Franks: What do you think will be your biggest challenge being a Food Network star?

JW: Waking up early will be my biggest challenge!

Carol Gardener Pike: Hi, Justin ... CONGRATULATIONS from Alabama! When you wake up hungry for a snack in the middle of the night, what do you reach for??

JW: Good question. I reach for dried squid (love that stuff!).

Rebekah Anne Faulk: What 3 ingredients couldn't you live without?

JW: The three ingredients I can't live without (aside from salt) are yuzu, vanilla and 350-degree oil. I love frying stuff!

Nicole Leigh Morris: I know you like foods that stretch boundaries, but what is your favorite "normal" food?

JW: Pizza, corn on the cob and strawberry-rhubarb pie are my favorite "normal" foods.

Jorden Helton: What is the most outrageous thing you have ever cooked?

JW: The most outrageous thing I have ever cooked ... that's tough! I made a pig filled with chicken filled with eggs — that's the most outrageous one in recent memory. I also made waffle stuffing that was AMAZING.

Kelsey Nguyen: What is your favorite film?

JW: The Muppets (new). Or Star Wars (old).

Kristel LaFreniere: What hair products do you use? Love the pouf.

JW: I prefer Bumble & Bumble hair products.

Visit Food Network for more scoop on the Star finale and flip through Justin’s behind-the-scenes scrapbook to get an insider’s look at this brand-new star.

Food Network Star, Season 10: A Decade of Dreams

What do you get when you put a dozen rivals in a pressure-packed environment, surround them with famed faces from the food world and ask them to compe...

1. Bonnie says:

Congratulations, Justin! I look forward to your show. I love the way you and Martie supported each other during the competition. I'm also a converted Alton fan. I hope your show will inspire me to cook more creatively -- or to cook at all. I also hope Martie will do guest spots with you from time to time.

2. TeamJustin says:

Congrats Justin! The food network picked the right person to represent. I am looking forward to becoming an avid watcher of your show!

3. Kelli says:

I am so excited for you Justin, and happy for "Proud Papa" Alton! I cannot WAIT for the newest B Square Production!!!

4. JM61 says:

Congratulations, Justin! I loved you from the start! Please ignore all of the naysayers. They are just sad or mad that their favorite didn't win. But you are FOODNATION'S favorite. We picked you, we want you! FANTASTIC!

5. Gerrie says:

I was watching the show by myself in the living room... I knew from the very first show whos face would be shown to the world as the winner. Having an honest personalilty was totally obvious in Justin from the gate.. when the picture flashed, I jumped up and down and clapped and yelled,, YES! I was so sure of it, I almost went on line to place a bet on it. Should have. There are lots of people who dont have that straight forward point of view about life and are afraid to be who they are. People always want something they think they cant have.. and in placing the win on Justin, they achieved getting something they wanted for a change. Im 70 years old and havent kicked up my heels in a long time, but the night of the win, I gave it everything I had to do a proper click, wasnt perfect, but I did my best. Very proud of that young man giving is all and rising above the norm to be just a little bit different, Just different enough to make a difference. Many congrats> LIve long and prosper. Gerrie

• irishchef says:

I'm 77 and I thoroughly agree with you. My respect for Alton climbed ever higher and you could feel his devotion to his team. I'm so glad Justin won......he has all the qualities of a star chef. Giada didn't show good sportsmanship a few times. (her face was an open book).

6. rasberry surled says:

Congrats! Not only a good cook, and a wonderful on air personality, but easy on the eyes. Came wait to watch your show. Make sure you keep it interesting, just as you have.

7. Lisa says:

Congrats, Justin! we were pulling for ya - wishing you the best with your new show! Nice to see someone local make it big! FN fans from Smithsburg, MD

8. Alaskagalse says:

Justin needs to lose the bright red lipstick. He looks terrible with those big red lips.

9. Linda J Williams says:

Congratulations Justin! You pair so well with Alton, congratulations to him also. We were rooting/voting for you from the beginning - nice to see that finally someone we wanted to win actually did! Enjoy your new family and Martie's friendship. Looking forward to your show in the fall.

10. Carol says:

Probably won't watch Justins show - food is too weird - smile seems really forced & is he wearing lipstick? Also do not like the new format and Giada can cook, but she is all teeth. Liked Yvan - seemed down to earth.

• Sandy says:

My son lives in Brooklyn and we go to Justins restaurant when we visit. We just love it. The food is different, but absolutely delicious. It's fun trying things that are a little out of the ordinary. It's regular food with a twist!