Cheers to the Rebel: New Star Justin Chats With Fans

by in Food Network Star, July 24, 2012

Justin Warner's Winning Moment Season 8Just one day after being crowned the next Food Network Star, Justin Warner was already on the job.

He stopped by Food Network’s offices on Monday to join a Facebook chat with some of his biggest fans. Offering a rarely seen glimpse of what makes him tick, Justin answered fans’ questions about everything — his hopes for his new show, the craziest meal he’s ever made, his favorite movies, hair product of choice and more. Read on for some of the best moments from our Q&A session with Justin and get to know this Rebel With a Culinary Cause.

Debbie Smith: Congratulations, Justin! Has the shock worn off yet? My question is: In five years, what other projects would you like to do for FN? I ask this because many of the stars branch out after their first show settles in. For example, Guy with his Big Bites, DDD and hosting cook-offs.

Justin Warner (JW): No, the shock has not worn off. I'm still stupefied. I think there is an array of applications for someone like myself.

Regina Petrucci: What's your favorite moment from being on the show?

JW: My favorite moment was when Martie got to make a pilot too.

Maria Eivers Medley: What was the one experience on the show that you wish you could have done differently or do over again?

JW: I rarely live with regrets, but I could have come out of the box a little stronger and been a better leader. Probably could have tried to defend my team a little better.

Alicia Kaity Audette: So excited for you! Any ideas on the format of your upcoming show? And will Martie be a guest?

JW: I'm open-minded and excited to meet professionals as this is my first time doing a TV show. If Martie Duncan can make an appearance, I would be honored!

Jessica Ng: Justin! Congratulations on becoming the next Food Network Star!! Since Alton Brown was your mentor and main "cheerleader," what is the number one lesson he has taught you that you will teach America in your new series?

JW: Everybody has something to teach. You just have to find out what you're here to teach. I'm here to teach people not to be scared of being wacky, because we're all a little bit wacky.

Katy Franks: What do you think will be your biggest challenge being a Food Network star?

JW: Waking up early will be my biggest challenge!

Carol Gardener Pike: Hi, Justin ... CONGRATULATIONS from Alabama! When you wake up hungry for a snack in the middle of the night, what do you reach for??

JW: Good question. I reach for dried squid (love that stuff!).

Rebekah Anne Faulk: What 3 ingredients couldn't you live without?

JW: The three ingredients I can't live without (aside from salt) are yuzu, vanilla and 350-degree oil. I love frying stuff!

Nicole Leigh Morris: I know you like foods that stretch boundaries, but what is your favorite "normal" food?

JW: Pizza, corn on the cob and strawberry-rhubarb pie are my favorite "normal" foods.

Jorden Helton: What is the most outrageous thing you have ever cooked?

JW: The most outrageous thing I have ever cooked ... that's tough! I made a pig filled with chicken filled with eggs — that's the most outrageous one in recent memory. I also made waffle stuffing that was AMAZING.

Kelsey Nguyen: What is your favorite film?

JW: The Muppets (new). Or Star Wars (old).

Kristel LaFreniere: What hair products do you use? Love the pouf.

JW: I prefer Bumble & Bumble hair products.

Visit Food Network for more scoop on the Star finale and flip through Justin’s behind-the-scenes scrapbook to get an insider’s look at this brand-new star.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Mooselover says:

Yay yay yay yay yay yay Justin!!!!!!!! I'm so glad u won!!!!! U have been my favorite since the show began!! I can't wait to watch ur show!! Best wishes to u forever!! =D

2. FaN says:

I'd like to say that when Alton said he was a proud papa I almost cried. I love that he finally found someone to pass his torch to. They are kindred spirits and it's gonna be so fun to see what these geniuses do together.

• Marty says:

LOL I never thought I would get teary eyed watching a FN program but its happened a couple of times this season. LOVED IT!

3. Ashley says:

I'm so happy that Justin won. I'm expecting a great show from him! I read his little food diary, and it was so cute! He really is a different person. This last episode was awesome. I'm hoping they give Martie a show too, or let her guest star on Justins show.

4. guest says:

The phony drama was worse than watching paint dry, endless milking of any opportunity for emotion, until I felt my I.Q. leaking out.

The food network is now a boring second rate soap opera, I'm turning you off so I won't have to see another fake giada' smile

• Helena says:

Justin wasn't a fake Giada smile. He was genuine and quirky. Read his journal and you can see that the outside is the same as the inside.

5. Melissa says:

Way to go Justin and Alton! I've no doubt your show will be a hit, especially with Alton producing it. I also want to say thank you for the kindness and good team sportsmanship you displayed over and over again, unlike a few of the other contestants. It's so nice when the good guys win!

• Luna says:

way to go!!! are you crazy?? That guy looks like the cartoon MAD Max from the magazine!!!!

• Sandra S. says:

If you're talking about the MAD Magazine guy, his name is not Max, it's Alfred E. Neuman.

And what does looks have to do with anything? This was a contest for someone who could cook well and do well hosting a food show. Justin has some quirky, but effective ideas wrapped in a likeable personality. Who cares what he looks like!

6. Shawn says:

I haven't seen the show in a while, so I've totally forgot. What's the name of your to-be show?

7. Lillian says:

It is un real that this guy won the competition. I knew the girl did not have it, but the other guy Yvan he should be the winner. I hope that the FN will consider Yvan for a tv SHOW!!..I will whatch him.. He is the one that needs to be in FN.... This Justin, this guy he will last only one season.. I do not see a future in you to be on Food Tv. Like the that girl Amy that desapear, what a fiasco. The other one that no longer exist is the Big daddy..What ever his name is... The sandwish King,,another show that is not interesting to whatch...... What is happening Food Network??? are you runing out of Ideas?

8. Viennavegan says:

I would love to see a blog featuring a paragraph or two with Alton Brown's reaction too

9. Lauren says:

THANK YOU LILLIAN! Are you the ONE person on this network. who doesn't like Justin? Ok, edit. I just can't get over his.....makeup. I like his personality, but sometimes he can kind of creep me out. Please, Justin, I would maybe watch your show if you just wore chapstick. His show is genius, but it can sometimes require expensive ingredients. (dried squid?????) Well, I'm not that much of a seafood fan anyway. I would watch his show for ENTERTAINMENT though.

• CeeCee says:

You'll be pleasantly surprised to know that a lot of cities now have Asian and Latino mom and pop stores where you can buy unusual ingredients for a fraction of what you would pay at gourmet stores and fancy supermarkets like Whole Foods. After we find that dried squid, Justin will show us how to use it - woo!

10. S.J. says:

WOW! A LOT of people (namely girls) are raving over Justin Warner like he's Justin Beiber or something. (kind of makes me uncomfortable, because....that's just brrrrr for me) He's cool, but he can be extremely weird. I'm GLAD he won, but he's my second choice. However, since the vote is in, congratulations, Justin! We could use a little out of the ordinary on FN.

• Michael says:

You really think Justin can be extremely weird? This is not an attack, okay? But I just wanna say that either you need to meet more people or else move elsewhere. I've met much "weirder" people. Justin is cool-weird. He's innovative, very smart, confident, knowledgeable and free-thinking. He's a geek. It's time for the geeks to come out and balance things.