Cheers to the Rebel: New Star Justin Chats With Fans

by in Food Network Star, July 24, 2012

Justin Warner's Winning Moment Season 8Just one day after being crowned the next Food Network Star, Justin Warner was already on the job.

He stopped by Food Network’s offices on Monday to join a Facebook chat with some of his biggest fans. Offering a rarely seen glimpse of what makes him tick, Justin answered fans’ questions about everything — his hopes for his new show, the craziest meal he’s ever made, his favorite movies, hair product of choice and more. Read on for some of the best moments from our Q&A session with Justin and get to know this Rebel With a Culinary Cause.

Debbie Smith: Congratulations, Justin! Has the shock worn off yet? My question is: In five years, what other projects would you like to do for FN? I ask this because many of the stars branch out after their first show settles in. For example, Guy with his Big Bites, DDD and hosting cook-offs.

Justin Warner (JW): No, the shock has not worn off. I'm still stupefied. I think there is an array of applications for someone like myself.

Regina Petrucci: What's your favorite moment from being on the show?

JW: My favorite moment was when Martie got to make a pilot too.

Maria Eivers Medley: What was the one experience on the show that you wish you could have done differently or do over again?

JW: I rarely live with regrets, but I could have come out of the box a little stronger and been a better leader. Probably could have tried to defend my team a little better.

Alicia Kaity Audette: So excited for you! Any ideas on the format of your upcoming show? And will Martie be a guest?

JW: I'm open-minded and excited to meet professionals as this is my first time doing a TV show. If Martie Duncan can make an appearance, I would be honored!

Jessica Ng: Justin! Congratulations on becoming the next Food Network Star!! Since Alton Brown was your mentor and main "cheerleader," what is the number one lesson he has taught you that you will teach America in your new series?

JW: Everybody has something to teach. You just have to find out what you're here to teach. I'm here to teach people not to be scared of being wacky, because we're all a little bit wacky.

Katy Franks: What do you think will be your biggest challenge being a Food Network star?

JW: Waking up early will be my biggest challenge!

Carol Gardener Pike: Hi, Justin ... CONGRATULATIONS from Alabama! When you wake up hungry for a snack in the middle of the night, what do you reach for??

JW: Good question. I reach for dried squid (love that stuff!).

Rebekah Anne Faulk: What 3 ingredients couldn't you live without?

JW: The three ingredients I can't live without (aside from salt) are yuzu, vanilla and 350-degree oil. I love frying stuff!

Nicole Leigh Morris: I know you like foods that stretch boundaries, but what is your favorite "normal" food?

JW: Pizza, corn on the cob and strawberry-rhubarb pie are my favorite "normal" foods.

Jorden Helton: What is the most outrageous thing you have ever cooked?

JW: The most outrageous thing I have ever cooked ... that's tough! I made a pig filled with chicken filled with eggs — that's the most outrageous one in recent memory. I also made waffle stuffing that was AMAZING.

Kelsey Nguyen: What is your favorite film?

JW: The Muppets (new). Or Star Wars (old).

Kristel LaFreniere: What hair products do you use? Love the pouf.

JW: I prefer Bumble & Bumble hair products.

Visit Food Network for more scoop on the Star finale and flip through Justin’s behind-the-scenes scrapbook to get an insider’s look at this brand-new star.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Stephanie says:

It was nice to see people not so much at each other's throats this season. So refreshing that there were a lot of nice people who seems to actually care about each other! Congrats Justin. So when will the new show be aired?

2. Stephanie says:

PS I really did not like what Nikki said about Emily.

3. patti says:

I am a freshly retired, 'older lady', and I have to say I loved watching this season and just love, love, love Justin!! He is interesting and quite an accomplished cook. He doesn't seem "wacky" but eccentric and very charming. Good for him! I also loved Martie and hope they remain friends. Saw a side of Alton I had never seen before and made me a much bigger fan and more appreciative of him as a very special person. And Bobby, will always love you Bobby! Keep up the good work guys!

4. KarenH. says:

Fanfare57 - re: Giada. Most agreed. She just seemed like a witch in fluff. The show reinforced my thoughts that she is a self-centered materialistic woman who's more concerned with fame, bling, shoes and money than family.

• Happy, too says:

She's beautiful, successful and happy. I can understand anyone being jealous of that.

• ehmily says:

GIADA SUCKS stop assuming everyone is jealous of you and Giada

• JM61 says:

Why does not liking someone = jealous? Answer: it doesn't.

• Jerilee says:

Yes she is beautiful, she seems happy, yes she is successful. But, that doesn't excuse her self-centered, bratty acts, facial expressions, overt cheeriness for her people, and lack of overall "team-ness". She came off as celf-centered, and only out for herself. She had her "pets", and it showed. She did not exhibit FN family attitude. She was portrayed as "I'm the best, pick me", and when she wasn't she pouted and had the attitude "if I can't win I'm gonna take my toys and go home". She needs to learn to play with others in the sandbox. Just because her grandfather was wonderful producer/director, doesn't mean she is. She needs to get over it and do whet FN picked her to do, cook!!!

• FanFare57 says:

Well said, Jerilee! Even during the finale, she acknowledged her nickname "Cheerleader" (from the other teams) with pride. That's rather shallow, IMO.

5. tamra says:

love Justin, thought he was a winner from the beginning. Thank goodness for someone with fresh ideas.
    loved Ippie but he just couldn't bring the personality. Wouldn't a show about hawaiian food be yummy.
    liked Marti but fn already has a couple of people like her
    disliked Nikki from the beginning, couldn't wait for her to go. Soooo cold
    Learned a lot about Giada, immature and self absorbed
    Liked the new format, but I agree the eliminations shouldn't be about keeping the teams equal.

• Guest says:

You mentioned Ippy. Did you see his facial expressions in the finale? He looked absolutely miserable or just plain irritated. I totally agreed with the lack of energy comments that Bob and Suzy kept mentioning all season, I couldn't believe that he made it so far when Eric was cut so early on!

6. Jerilee says:

Congrats Justin. Looking forward to trying some of your out of the box recipes.

7. jefferno says:

I'm so happy that Justin won! I was rooting for him since the very first episode. The relationship that Justin and Martie have with each other is amazing, and although her chattiness was at times annoying, I really love her spirit and her sincerity. My favorite thing about this particular FN program is that it allowed the fans to make the final decision. I get so frustrated with some of the other competitive shows where the cocky, mean, win-at-all-costs contestants are allowed to win in spite of their poor sportsmanship. It was refreshing to see a case of the good guy triumphing over the bullies. The comparison of Alton's group to the "nerds" and Bobby's to the "jocks" was very appropriate, and it was awesome to see the nerds kick the jocks butts!

• FanFare57 says:

The Justin-Martie relationship reminded me of the film, "Harold and Maude". But, at the end of the day, they each thanked the other for their help. It seemed to me that Justin helped Martie more than she helped him though.

8. HOT!...HOT!...HOT!

9. Luna says:

Congrats Justin!
    This was pretty much expected. Everyone loves Justin cuz he's a fun guy and a lot of other reasons. Everyone else did a really good job too and I wish that most of them could have won, but still, Justin did great and won all of us over so he earned it. I can't wait to find out what sorts of crazy creations he'll make on his show, and more importantly his technique.
    And we can't forget what a great job Alton did! Congrats to him too for bringing someone to victory! Both of them worked hard and they deserved this.

10. Cexy says:

I loved Justin From the very beginning his the kind of person you fall in Love with instantly because he doesnt put up a front or tries to please anyone but himself. Good Job Justin im so looking forward to your new Show. I literally jumped up and down when I saw his face on the Poster and Yelled "Team Bobby can suck it!" In my opinion Team Bobby were arrogant and rude competetors... Loved the relationship between martie and justin; it just goes to show you how different personalities people can have and still be the best of friends.