The Most Intense Episode. Ever. — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, July 18, 2012

Well, you can’t say that Food Network doesn’t know how to shake things up, right? This year, the network is leaving the decision of this year’s winner in your hands, fans. And while the opportunity to vote for your next Star ended last night at 5pm, you can relive the emotional and surprising episode that sent four hopefuls instead of three to the finale.

In an unprecedented moment during last Sunday’s elimination, both of Team Alton’s final two contenders, Justin and Martie, were given green lights to create show pilots and advanced to the finale to compete against Team Bobby’s Michele and Team Giada’s Yvan. Understandably, tension filled the air in Miami’s outdoor pitch room, as Alton, Justin and Martie waited to find out who would be sent home. And of course, that same angst found its way into many fans’ living rooms on Sunday, as they endured a doozy of a cliffhanger.

Sunny Anderson was among those watching the drama unfold from home. Though she sat on the guest panel that judged the six contestants’ promo videos, she and the other judges didn’t see the elimination, so this week’s shocking turn of events was just as stunning to her as it was to fans. Sunny Tweeted a spot-on reaction to the commercial break before the announcement. “IF YOU JUST YELLED AT YOUR TV RT!!!! I hate a cliffhanger!!! #star,” she wrote, earning our Fan Post of the Week. Many fellow Star fans echoed her feelings.

Once Bob and Susie revealed that Team Alton wouldn’t suffer an elimination, the situation on set and at many fans’ homes quickly turned from emotionally draining to downright emotional. Just as Alton couldn’t help but tear up when he learned the good news, so too did fans, who were relieved that both finalists had survived.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook during Sunday night’s finale and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Be sure to tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton, #TeamBobby or #TeamGiada you voted to be our next Food Network Star. Hosting a Star viewing party? Check out these party-ready snack recipes that Justin, Martie, Michele and Yvan created especially for fans.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. stella says:

The Facebook limitation was too INSURE that Justin be The winner. FN wants an Alton junior show for their perceived lack of youth viewers. I'm on FB, but I refused to vote, considering it an invasion of my privacy to have my vote exposed. Did you ever hear of the sanctity of the ballot box FN?
    PS....No Bob and Susie next season.

2. bryan says:

there is no way I could watch an entire show of Ippy

3. suzy says:

OMG I finally getting to see last week's show. I CAN NOT BELIEVE how Giada LIED to Ippy about his takes..."too laid back;" no, "too intense." I thought Ippy had nailed it on the first take!! I guess you had your marching orders.
    Giada, even the chagrined look on your face telegraphed you KNEW you were lying to that kid, so as to promote the finalists that FN wanted, all along.
    I am so disappointed when I think how I always defended you on these blogs. This whole season has been a crock.
    The little Alton Junior show was ordained at the beginning of the season (NOTE: During the pilot, Justin references Alton not always being available to do the alton show).
    I will not be tuning in to watch a show about how to make a gelatiness mess of ASPIC. Some rebel.

4. Guest says:

FN is a business and is trying to fill gaps in their programming.
    Michelle can cook, but they already have 2 people with her look (Anne and Guy) and I don't think they'll add a third.

Yvan probably has the best hope for winning after Justin. He still needs work though.

Martie feels like a mini Paula, and I don't see them giving her a show because not only is Paula still around, but both her sons are on the network as well. The name of her show doesn't bother me since they change the show names after they win all the time.

My guess is Martie gone first, then Michelle, then Yvan. Yvan then Michelle if they decide to keep sexes even for the end of e show. Lol. Martie gone first since they cant leave Alton with 2 on his team to the end.

5. gamblinggal says:

I knew Martie would be the first to go........she is straight...time for a gay show...literally...right?

• Carl Dee says:

I knew Martie would be the first to go and the judges knew that as well when a picked an "extra" pilot. It was all for sentimental reasons.

6. Carl Dee says:

Go Justin! I said it all along that you'd be the winner! Now get busy and entertain this old man. LOL!

7. Teresa says:

This was just wrong. Yvan should have won. I would watch him. I will NEVER watch Justin. Ever. Did a bunch of geeks get together and stuff the ballot box, or WHAT?! I AM SO DISAPPOINTED. Food network just lost a loyal viewer, I think this was rigged. What a shame, oh and Yvan, we love you.

8. Kn says:

Great choice. Justin was the most original and interesting choice and a good heir apparent for Alton.

9. Carol says:

I guess it's just another show I will not be watching on Food Network!! Really, would you make or eat the food Justin prepared??? I am very disappointed! I guess FN is really all about glitter and not about food. I would have thought I was watching the Oscars if they had decided to give out four envelopes. Not so sure that Food Network had no say in who was their STAR!

10. Liberty says:

We are so happy for Justin, we knew he'd win. We love Martie, too. I hope FN can produce show for her, southern style. Congratulations Justin!!!