The Most Intense Episode. Ever. — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, July 18, 2012

Well, you can’t say that Food Network doesn’t know how to shake things up, right? This year, the network is leaving the decision of this year’s winner in your hands, fans. And while the opportunity to vote for your next Star ended last night at 5pm, you can relive the emotional and surprising episode that sent four hopefuls instead of three to the finale.

In an unprecedented moment during last Sunday’s elimination, both of Team Alton’s final two contenders, Justin and Martie, were given green lights to create show pilots and advanced to the finale to compete against Team Bobby’s Michele and Team Giada’s Yvan. Understandably, tension filled the air in Miami’s outdoor pitch room, as Alton, Justin and Martie waited to find out who would be sent home. And of course, that same angst found its way into many fans’ living rooms on Sunday, as they endured a doozy of a cliffhanger.

Sunny Anderson was among those watching the drama unfold from home. Though she sat on the guest panel that judged the six contestants’ promo videos, she and the other judges didn’t see the elimination, so this week’s shocking turn of events was just as stunning to her as it was to fans. Sunny Tweeted a spot-on reaction to the commercial break before the announcement. “IF YOU JUST YELLED AT YOUR TV RT!!!! I hate a cliffhanger!!! #star,” she wrote, earning our Fan Post of the Week. Many fellow Star fans echoed her feelings.

Once Bob and Susie revealed that Team Alton wouldn’t suffer an elimination, the situation on set and at many fans’ homes quickly turned from emotionally draining to downright emotional. Just as Alton couldn’t help but tear up when he learned the good news, so too did fans, who were relieved that both finalists had survived.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook during Sunday night’s finale and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Be sure to tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton, #TeamBobby or #TeamGiada you voted to be our next Food Network Star. Hosting a Star viewing party? Check out these party-ready snack recipes that Justin, Martie, Michele and Yvan created especially for fans.

Caption It: Cha-Ching

Last week Food Network Star finalists embraced one of the most-faced aspects of Las Vegas — an over-the-top party scene — as they hosted a poolsid...

1. SheSaidWhat says:

I wish Emily Ellyn was still there instead of Martie. She's sweet an' all, but Martie's show isn't even original, we don't need another entertaining show.
    Out of the ones left I hope Justin gets it because at least it's something new.

2. iamthejoker says:

Lol..what is with Alton's face in the picture?? He looks like"The Scream". lol...

3. TeamAltonRocks says:

I wished,that they didn't close the voting till Wed.Than it would be easy for everyone,who missed it to catch up.But waiting to see who wins,its killing me.I mean before the new format for this show.They didn't have the votes for who will become the next food network star.It just kept you guessing who might be.But with the voting thing.I don't know how many ppl are tired of this huge wait to see who wins.If who they voted for wins.At least tommrow,we will find at last.No more wait this time.*sighs*

4. abc says:

Hey Martie , if you're reading these blogs this one's for you .

I know some of your friends have posted on here about the possiblity of you wanting to change the name of your 'show". Instead of " Martie with a party" , how about " PARTY WITH MARTIE " . ( just saying , in case you do win !)

Plus if you do win, please add lots of party tips and ideas along with the recipes, otherwise it will be just another cooking show.

I love your website format . It's great. :)

5. Denise says:

I just love Justin @ team Alton I'm pulling 100%

6. Diamond Chef says:

Marti can not cook at all and she is just annoying too. Michelle is just such a fat manly slob that she is hard to watch.

7. FoodNWFoodie says:

I thought there were a lot more candidates with talent and clever food ideas this season than the past couple seasons of TNFNS. I also liked the teams/mentoring/competition aspect of this season.

Easily JUSTIN is the guy with the new ideas, and I would love to watch his show. Can we do something about his makeup, though? Seriously, easy does it, folks. Just sayin.

8. Megan says:

not happy with the decision. Who I think they should have picked and why: http://meganandclaudy.blogspot.com/2012/07/it-has...

• UjustLostAstar says:

Just read your blog post. Great thoughts... I only wish the Network saw it the way we did. Unfortunately we have to live with the fact that they do not. It's really sad for Ippy, but hopefully someone will see his talent and give him a show!!!! He has so many fans! :)

• 808 Ippy Fan says:

Really enjoyed reading your blog post, and I agree with what you said about Ippy. Though I don't agree with everything you said about the other contestants, I can understand your opinions. You should post it in this FN blog so more people will read it.

9. MARYANN says:

JUSTIN. I JUST KEEP LOOKING AT THOSE RED LIPS. HIS SUGGESTION OF LIVER DONUTS, ETC--HE SHOULD STOP THAT CRAP. THATS DISGUSTING.

• Lois says:

Agree! There is no way I can watch a guy, with red lipstick & blush on a cooking show. Also he hasn't cooked anything yet that appeals to me. Plus he has a pompous, condescending attitude. I would personally never watch his show if he wins.

• whatulookinat says:

Aw, come on now. He probably got the red lipstick from Martie...

10. brian says:

Love watching justin but am afraid I wouldnt attempt too many of his dishes. yvan might have the most "cookable" dishes to watch. Martie deserves to be there because she is really the only one to listen to the judges and really improve every week. To the point of being flawless in the last two episodes. Michelle is just to plain.