Aarti’s After Party: It All Comes Down to You

by in Food Network Star, July 16, 2012

Final Four - Season 8 Food Network StarAarti Sequeira won Food Network Star season 6 and expanded her popular blog into a cooking show, Aarti Party (catch it on Food Network, Sundays at 7:30am/6:30c). As a Star veteran watching from her couch at home, Aarti shares her insider’s take on what went down each week.

Deep breath.

I imagine there are a lot of deep breaths happening in the homes of four particular people this week. As I type, four separate hearts are probably beating wildly. Four minds may be letting their imaginations run wild. Four souls might be praying for four particular outcomes.

An outcome that depends on a click of your index finger.

Oh, the drama of it all!

Sure, we’ve all seen our fair share of reality competition shows, so perhaps the novelty has worn off, perhaps we’ve grown jaded. But having had my own future held in the hands of others, I’d just like to remind you of what you have the power to do right now.

When I was given this treasure of a job, my life completely changed. There I was, the granddaughter of a rice farmer in a small Indian town, catapulted into the living rooms of people across the United States of America, sharing the food that brings me joy. It was the climax of not just my dream but the dream of my grandmother, an amazing cook, who had died before I was even a twinkle in my father’s eye. Just like that, I was given the opportunity to do a job that I had played at doing when I was just a toddler, arranging my cooking set just so. Little did I know that the Play-Doh chapatis I’d rolled out before my pretend camera would be great practice for the real ones I’d be rolling out before six real cameras and millions of eyes 30 years later!

Aarti's Winning Moment

In just one moment, my purpose on earth emerged from the mist that had hidden it from view for so many difficult years, forcing me to believe the lie that since I was purposeless, I was useless. As the sheet fell and revealed my face on the wall next to Giada’s and Rachael’s photos, it dealt a crushing blow to that cursed self-doubt that had plagued me my entire life.

It had all the makings of a fairy tale. Except this is real.

See? This isn’t just a small decision you hold in your hands. This is a big deal. You get to change someone’s life — for good! You get to be the fairy godmother to these four Cinderellas ! So consider this carefully. If you don’t agree with the winner, but you didn’t vote, then you don’t get to gripe about it.

Final Four

Whether it’s a vote for the quirky rebel with a trademark pompadour and rebellious cuisine whose show promises to fill the gap left by a certain Mr. Brown; or a vote for the chatty Southern belle who has dreamed of this job ever since she decided that she would throw her own parties rather than not be invited to any; or a vote for the chef from New England whose passion for that cuisine oozes out of her skin and whose cooking chops promise to teach us a good deal about good cooking in general; or a vote for the charming Venezuelan whose family stories and clever cooking tips might help us all bring our families (natural or chosen!) around the table every night, it’s up to you.

Choose wisely, America! This is your fairy godmother moment. I can’t wait to see what you decide.

Vote online up to 10 times per day until 5pm on Tuesday!

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Jean says:

I love them all, but Martie is special. She is someone I'd like to hang out with. Martie is the one I'd like to share receipes with, and enjoy brunch, lunch and supper with. Mostly I'd like to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas Party with Martie! I can't wait to pursue my passion of cooking with Martie!

2. kt203 says:

Ippy goes and Yvan stays?!?!?! Once again, the illustrious network picks the same old instead of something DIFFERENT. Hawaiian food & culture would have been fascinating (as would retro Emily). Justin is the only other PoV that would be intriguing

3. jayceedavis says:

Just testing. Formerly posted as Jewels.

4. Pamster says:

Soooooo sad to see Ippy go :( Such an interesting POV and I LOVED his laid back style. If the producers griped one more time about "more energy! more energy!" I was going to throw out my TV!! Not everyone likes the fake or forced "energy" that stars like Giada and Rachel often exude.
    You passed up a good one here, Food Network :(
    Bring him back for the Cooking Channel, at least!!!!!

5. @SherryannSt says:

I was very disappointed by who got picked for the final four. Ippy should be in the final four. Most of the shows on FN are already incorporating entertaining and family style dinners...Does anyone do Hawaiian??? No. Big miss on Ippy.

6. tristinsgram says:

Martie had trade marked her show's name many years before Aarti started using her "Party" name.

7. Food Fan says:

The people i REALLY wanted, are gone. Like many others, I wanted Emily or Ippy.
    Why would anyone want Martie? 4 weeks ago, I didnt! But she has really learned from Alton's mentoring and has improved alot.
    Contrast her with Justin:
    Justin may have better food, but Martie makes more things more people would really eat. (Being "original" shouldn't mean seeing how extreme ya can be). Tom Pizzica was also "rebellious" and "creative" and like Justin, it was also stuff hardly anyone would really do. But calling it "entertainment" didnt save Tom, either. The show got cancelled and is off the air. Martie's, would be more useful.
    But there's more:
    People complain about too laid back and putting people to sleep. So, who is more upbeat? Martie beats Justin there.
    What about on-camera? Martie has shortened her long-windedness, has a good smile and look "warmer". By comparison, Justin STILL sounds usually dull and monotone when he speaks.
    If you like Justin, fine. We all have a right to whoever we want for our favorite, so if fish-skeletons float yer boat, then go for it. Emily's version of "creativity" was far better. But, we all have our opinions....

8. SauI Vazquez says:

It has been one of the best shows on TV in a Iong time for me... Thank you Foodnetwork.

But at the same time, I'm very upset with the Network... I think when you dismissed Martita, it was a huge mistake... I Iike Ippie a Iot, but I Iove Martita even more, pIus, Ippie said during his promo that he used tangerines, when he shouId've said oranges.... HUGE MISTAKE!!!

Oh weII... I thank you for a very incredibIe season.

9. Annie says:

I like them all, I wish we can eliminate couple of the existing food net work starts in exchange to bring all these 4 candidates as winners! just kidding. Over all , I believe there is no food net work stars who specialize in cooking sea foods !! Out of all, Michele appears to have lots of love and knowledge in seafood and I am very looking forward to see Michel become the next food Net Work Stars!! and show me how to cook Sea Food every day ! Not to mention she is very good looking and attractive :-)

10. former ippy fan says:

I think Martie With the Party would work in the Food Network lineup if it also included tips for throwing a party from the invitation down to the clean up...not just the party food (in other words, tips for unique invitations, tablescapes, themes, etc.). This would also bring in audience that is used to seeing that only on HGTV...I think Martie has a great personality and a show with that format would certainly add to the Food Network mix...good luck, Martie!

• Ippy Fan says:

Why are you no longer an Ippy fan?

• Guest2012 says:

I think he/she is no longer an Ippy fan because Ippy was eliminated. I am still an Ippy fan myself and thought he had a very unique POV.

• former ippy fan says:

That's exactly why...Ippy deserved to still be in this!!!!!...but given the finalists, I think each could be successful...but their POVs and show formats need some refining!!...