Aarti’s After Party: It All Comes Down to You

by in Food Network Star, July 16, 2012

Final Four - Season 8 Food Network StarAarti Sequeira won Food Network Star season 6 and expanded her popular blog into a cooking show, Aarti Party (catch it on Food Network, Sundays at 7:30am/6:30c). As a Star veteran watching from her couch at home, Aarti shares her insider’s take on what went down each week.

Deep breath.

I imagine there are a lot of deep breaths happening in the homes of four particular people this week. As I type, four separate hearts are probably beating wildly. Four minds may be letting their imaginations run wild. Four souls might be praying for four particular outcomes.

An outcome that depends on a click of your index finger.

Oh, the drama of it all!

Sure, we’ve all seen our fair share of reality competition shows, so perhaps the novelty has worn off, perhaps we’ve grown jaded. But having had my own future held in the hands of others, I’d just like to remind you of what you have the power to do right now.

When I was given this treasure of a job, my life completely changed. There I was, the granddaughter of a rice farmer in a small Indian town, catapulted into the living rooms of people across the United States of America, sharing the food that brings me joy. It was the climax of not just my dream but the dream of my grandmother, an amazing cook, who had died before I was even a twinkle in my father’s eye. Just like that, I was given the opportunity to do a job that I had played at doing when I was just a toddler, arranging my cooking set just so. Little did I know that the Play-Doh chapatis I’d rolled out before my pretend camera would be great practice for the real ones I’d be rolling out before six real cameras and millions of eyes 30 years later!

Aarti's Winning Moment

In just one moment, my purpose on earth emerged from the mist that had hidden it from view for so many difficult years, forcing me to believe the lie that since I was purposeless, I was useless. As the sheet fell and revealed my face on the wall next to Giada’s and Rachael’s photos, it dealt a crushing blow to that cursed self-doubt that had plagued me my entire life.

It had all the makings of a fairy tale. Except this is real.

See? This isn’t just a small decision you hold in your hands. This is a big deal. You get to change someone’s life — for good! You get to be the fairy godmother to these four Cinderellas ! So consider this carefully. If you don’t agree with the winner, but you didn’t vote, then you don’t get to gripe about it.

Final Four

Whether it’s a vote for the quirky rebel with a trademark pompadour and rebellious cuisine whose show promises to fill the gap left by a certain Mr. Brown; or a vote for the chatty Southern belle who has dreamed of this job ever since she decided that she would throw her own parties rather than not be invited to any; or a vote for the chef from New England whose passion for that cuisine oozes out of her skin and whose cooking chops promise to teach us a good deal about good cooking in general; or a vote for the charming Venezuelan whose family stories and clever cooking tips might help us all bring our families (natural or chosen!) around the table every night, it’s up to you.

Choose wisely, America! This is your fairy godmother moment. I can’t wait to see what you decide.

Vote online up to 10 times per day until 5pm on Tuesday!

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Erna Blackburn says:

My problem is I like them all! These were my favorites from the beginning. How do I decide? Well, I finally did. We will see who wins.

• Food Fan says:

Either Martie or Yvan.
      Yvan has gotten better control over his speech and how he sounds. The way he connected with people at the challenge when his microphone went off was excellent! He is upbeat. And he can show us new things.

Compare Justin and Martie as things stand NOW (not 4 weeks ago).
      Food:
      Justin's might be better, but Martie makes more things I would wanna eat. And we can always use another Party with friends! Martie can show us how.
      Personality:
      Martie is warmer, more "engaging"/outgoing and has a happier-looking smile. Next to her, Justin STILL sounds more monotone and looks more blank and "flat."
      Original might be nice, But I prefer EMILY's creativity over Justin's. Tom Pizzica had a "rebellious" show that was out-of-the-box, too. It Fizzled-out and isnt on TV anymore. Why repeat the same mistake?

Watching Martie's video, above, its like she is already on her own show! Improvement I would never thought likely at all. I would watch her. She looks fun! (who woulda thought?) :)
      Yvan is my 2nd choice.
      I wouCompare Justin and Martie as things stand NOW (not 4 weeks ago).
      Food:
      Justin's might be better, but Martie makes morew things I would wanna eat.
      Personality:
      Yvan is my 2nd choice. He can show us new things.
      ld preferred Ippy or Emily, but of those left:
      Martie or Yvan.

• Food Fan says:

Sorry about the double-posting. Didnt mean to do that.
        I feel the points are valid, though.

• Dana says:

Martie's show would be so much fun to watch! No kidding, her personality is the real deal! My family has known her for years and she's just as genuine as she seems. I think that's why everyone, including her closest competition (Justin) was so happy for her to make the finals!

• Justin FTW says:

yes but tom pizzica's show was not him cooking, he visited outrageous restaurants.

• Food Fan says:

Doesn't matter who made it. The SHOW-- was still featuring outrageous, outside-the-box stuff, and it didn't last.

• Diamond Chef says:

Marti is barely an average cook, and she is awkward on camera. But did I mention she can't cook?

• Kim says:

Have to agree with you Erna. They are all great with all great POV's!!! One part of me is fot Martie! She's got a way about her, a warmth! Any one who wins I will be watching that show!! Happy for all of them!!

• Julia says:

I chickened out and voted for all of them. I know that is ridiculous but I just could not decide. Have never been so torn about this show before, I've always had a solid pick. Not this time! Also, so glad to have the stupid drama gone, this season was the best yet because it focused on what these folks could actually do not how stupid they could act. They were all a class bunch.

• Marisol says:

I just didn't really like any of them that much! They don't really catch my attention. I think Yvan would be good, as someone said if he actually did South American cuisine, and Martie seems kind of different! But I adore Alton Brown and I think them putting Justin as a little Alton really hurts Alton's originality. Ippy would have had a great show, what with such different foods.

• Rex Baldwin says:

I AGREE, THEY ARE ALL GREAT & IT IS HARD TO CHOSE BUT I DID MAKE A CHOICE!

• Robin says:

I watch Food Network a lot, and thought about whose show I would enjoy the most over time. Martie is sweet but traditional. Yvan is enthusiastic but rather plain (creamed corn in mac n cheese?). Michelle is certainly enticing but there's only so much you can do with seafood. Justin got all my votes because he takes us totally out of the box, and has a wicked good time doing it.

Good luck to whoever wins!

• Diamond Chef says:

Marti cannot cook, and Michelle is just a disgusting pig. None of these finalists will make a good show,

• Mardeen11 says:

A disgusting pig? Wow. It's one thing to choose and root for your favorite. It's quite another to call people names like that.

2. Tonya says:

I had the wonderful opportunity to watch last night's show with Martie and a lawnful of her biggest fans. She kept us in suspense right up to the moment, so you can imagine the collective gasps and cheers that erupted as the finalists were announced! What a joy to be a part of that! I can tell you, she is as genuine and gracious as you imagine. The person you see on TV is the same person you get when having a conversation with her. She is the ultimate hostess, and I cannot wait to see even more of her on Food Network! Go, Martie!!

• Mary says:

I am going to vote for Martie even though I like Justin just as much. I think the judges do too! so Martie will win but Justin will get a place on food network too.

• marcus says:

You are right, but it's the other way around. Justin won and Martie will get a place on the food network. Somehow I suspect that Martie and Justin will be kind of a packaged teal anyway.

• dolores says:

I like Martie as well...However, am I the only person who thinks she needs to changew the name of her proposed show? Aartie's Party, oops, I mean Martie w/the Party is taken. REDUNDANT. Prefer Justin the loud and weepy Martie. She overdoes the personality.

• Tonya says:

Actually, she Has been "Martie Knows Parties" longer than Aarti Party has been around. She is certainly not trying to be redundant. I met her two years ago at a demo she was doing on cooking/entertaining. I like that while she is focused on cooking for entertaining, many of her recipes can be made for my family. Check out her website! It's a really good glimpse into what she has to offer :)

• MoHub says:

Aarti had Aarti Party as a webcast long before she won FNS and launched her Food Network program with the same name. However, based on the age difference, it's likely Martie With the Party predates Aarti's efforts.

• NFS Fan says:

I'm only responding to this thread because I've heard numerous people make simlar comments about the possible name of Martie's show.

Completely useless fact: Yes Martie Duncan's claim on rhyming her name with the word 'party' predates Aarti Sequeira's. 'Martie Knows Parties' (wordmark) was trademarked in August of 2009, following the launch of a website/blog of the same name in 2007. 'Aarti Party' is a modification of 'Aarti Paarti', Aarti Sequeira's youTube cooking show, which launched in February of 2009.

Another point of interest: 'Aarti Party' has been cancelled and is currently only in reruns on the Cooking Channel.

That said, I would have to agree that the names are far too similar; 'Martie with the Party' should be changed to allow Martie the chance to maintain a distinct presence on the Food Network. Even without 'Aarti Party' on the same channel, the names are too similar - or perhaps it is just too soon.

While Martie herself may not be intentionally redundant in her choice of show title, someone at the Network should have mentioned it to her early on in the season. It wouldn't have been the first time that a potential star received advice of that nature, and may have helped greatly to avert this type of negative response.

Just my two cents.

• Food Fan says:

I dont think the show name matters much. Isnt Aarti's show gonna be cancelled anyway?

• Jennifer says:

I, too, have a strong dislike for the name. That's the one thing that has put me "off" on Martie. The name just sounds korny. Surely she could come up with something better. By the way, I'm glad the Aarti Party is going off, and I've noticed that Big Daddy is not on anymore either. Seems it's time the judges gave someone else voting ability-apparently their choices haven't been too great.

• Guest says:

Why are the Food Star's shows scheduled at such weird times--pre-dawn on Sunday morning, for example? That might be one reason they don't succeed. Schedule them after a #1 rated show so they can ride a successful show's coattails.
            Seems to me the bad place on the schedule could explain the new shows' poor ratings.

• TexasMama says:

True. Thank goodness for DVR. Otherwise I'd never get to see the shows I really like.

• marcus says:

All the prime time spots are taken with game shows and reality TV and infomercials like 3D.

• Connie says:

Thanks for the research, NFS. That's the best discussion of the similar titles I've seen yet. I'd like to add a personal point. Having known Martie since high school, I gotta tell you that Martie's always been known as "Martie with the Party" to us. It's about her personality, not a made for TV trademark like "Grill Next Door" or similar device. The Food Network may change the title but she'll forever be the girl with the party to her friends. I think once a show about entertaining with a side of cooking is developed for her it won't matter what the catch phrase is. It'll be about the content.

• my perspective says:

ALSO .... if you check out her blog and web page, she actually goes by MARTIE KNOWS PARTIES.

She's as genuine as they come! Warm, inviting and never knows a stranger! Hope we get to watch her on her own show!

• Diamond Chef says:

Aarti is a very good chef, Marti is just an average home cook.

• TaylorsMom says:

We are all voting for her. We sure hope she wins.

• Diamond Chef says:

Marti should have been cut weeks ago, she is the worst of the finalists, her food is terrible.

3. MsJS says:

Congratulations to the final four!

Kudos to the mentors for taking them so far in such a short time.

And a standing O to the network for avoiding the worst of what last year's contest had to offer.

I've watched the pilots and feel, while they all have potential, none are compelling enough at present for my personal attention.

One will win. I hope it's what s/he really wants, cuz it's a lot of work.

4. jan says:

This is tough!
    I really wanted Emily to win and I hope Food Network finds a place for her, maybe on the Cooking Channel!
    I would have loved to learn more about Pacific Rim foods so also I hope a place will be found for Ippy.
    Yvan would be great if he presented Central and South American family meals. I would enjoy learning more about those cuisines, since " Simply Delicioso" is all repeats.
    I think of Alton as my food encyclopedia. Since I'm a science geek I like Alton's explanations of how cooking and baking actually work. I think Justin would be good as an Alton junior!
    Since New England has a diverse ethnicity, I would love to learn more about Portuguese foods popular in the northeast.
    I would not watch Marti because there have already been too many similar programs going all the way back to Martha Stewart.

• krisgirl220 says:

Hey, Jan, wholeheartedly agree with you on Emily......did you see that there's a spot to vote for which star you would bring back? Emily has over 44% of the vote!

• grannydee says:

what is the link to vote for Emily? I loved her style and POV!

• krisgirl220 says:

Hi, Grannydee! This is the only way I could find it: 1) click on the red tab at top left of page "Food Network Star" then 2) on the right side of the page you will see "Join the Conversation"---you will see "STAR BLOG", click on "STAR BLOG" then 3) go all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "next page" then just scroll down until you see the poll. Emily is over 44%......I sure hope they reconsider and bring her back somehow.

Also, here is the link: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/star-talk/page/2/

• grannydee says:

thanks so much for your help, krisgirl220! Much appreciated and here's to a grassroots movement to get Emily back.

• Deanna says:

I hope she doesn't end up on cooking channel! We don't get that here.

• Mag says:

I thought the judges comments favored Ipoh over Michelle so I was surprised. Hope to see Ipoh and his recipes soon n another show. I'm voting for marti

• Jerilee says:

I agree, Jan. New England is more than clams and lobster. Portugese and Italian cuisine is abundant, as is Irish. If she gets the show I hope these are included.

• MeWagner says:

I really loved Emily and the "retro" style she brought as well.. FN should most definitely do a "retro show"!

• ambersync says:

I would watch Michelle's show for sure.
      Martie not so much, nothing original and she rambles on which is annoying.
      I'd watch Justin too. Can't say the same about Ivan as I feel FN has other latin stars already and the shows are sort of similar

• Shileigh says:

But, Marti speaks to EVERYONE!! Some of the contestants have narrowed themselves to where only a few can duplicate what they are doing.

• JM61 says:

You'd have to have the desire to make what she makes, and I just don't have that desire.

5. Kristy76 says:

I thought it was cheap to include Martie. She doesn't deserve to in the final with the other talent. If the Food Network planned to make an exception it should have been Ippy. I don't care who wins as long as it's not Martie.

• Tigergal75 says:

None of my top choices--Eric, Ippy, Emily--made it this far. Justin is unique, but he is too young and his food leaves me cold. Don't think Yvan is polished enough although he is telegenic, young, and nice-looking. HATE Michelle, but her POV is unmined territory for FN. Martie may have a future as "The Next Paula Deen," and FN is always hoping for a successful sequel.

• Food Fan says:

I wanted Emily, or Ippy.
        Of those left: Martie's voice is more pleasant than Paula Deen's. Her latest video shows her with much more confidence and fun than weeks ago. WE can always use someone who can show us how to pull off a great partier and do it easier.
        Justin is creative, but too extreme. I liked Emily's creativity better.
        Yvan is also good and is upbeat. I'm betting his recipes would be easy to follow.
        For next year, I'd like to see a season where NONE of the contestants own a restaurant. "The Best undiscovered Cook you've never heard of."

• Mary says:

Ippy was in the bottom many times and told to up his enthusiasm. It is the energy that brings viewers and Food Network wants more viewers. Martie deserves it. She has a great POV too. I am terrified of organizing a party but I would like too. I strongly disagree and hope Martie WINS

• Jewels says:

Sorry Mary. I watch for the food. Ippy has a singular POV that no one has ever had on the Network. His enthusiasm as you called it was exactly what the island produces. Someone who is laid back and relaxing to hear and listen to. Pacific Rim cuisine is diverse and can be unique.

Good luck with your contestant.

• SilverScribe says:

Sorry, but I think "what brings viewers" is highly personal.

I would have watched Ippy in a heartbeat (and same for Emily). What I wanted was what Ippy brought - a unique food blend as well as a presentation style that was *relaxing*. If I want over-the-top enthusiasm, I'll go to the circus.

Michelle also has an easy delivery style that appeals to me, so I may watch her. Yvan is another maybe since he just might bring more of his Latin American roots to the table, which I'd be interested in.

Martie bless her cotton socks, as nice a lady as she is, has nothing that piques my interest so won't be watching her. Justin? No. Not. Ever.

• Ippy Fan says:

I feel that they should have stuck with their word and kept it at three, keeping the teams even, as they have been doing since week one, or just let all six of them have pilots. Then we would have had more to choose from.

• MsWinston says:

I agree with you! Can't stand Martie -- why do we need someone who just another Paula Deen wannabe with an unpleasant voice? I am not bothering to vote because I don't think it makes any difference. Martie has been a favorite of Bob and Susies since the beginning -- no matter how bad she did, they just loved her! Yuck!

• jessica says:

It would kill me to see Martie win as she is another Paula Deen and nothing new to make me wanna watch. I don't like any of the choices and now wish we could start all over. For me, Justin is a tad interesting to watch but I doubt I would use any of his recipes. Family style dinners- ugh- BORING. We need more ethnic cooks but Ippy couldn't meet their image level. I could watch foods cooked from Hawaii.

• Elderleigh says:

I agree with you. There is enough southern influence on the network. And last night Marti went back to whining about her age. I am so over her; I will not watch her show if she is selected.

• guest says:

I totally agree with you! i have no idea what Bob and Susie see in this woman! She's boring and hasn't shown any real cooking skills. Anybody who knows anything about cooking can easily do what she's done. Plus, she has no imagination!

• rdrrnc says:

I agree 100%!!! The network has been babying Marti way too long!! Ippy was on the bottom when it should have been Nikki!! She should have gone home way earlier!!! Sending home Emily was a total mishap!! what were they thinking?? I am hoping Justin shines through to win this! Martie is already doing commercials for hair coloring for women......UGH!!!

• Gidget says:

You are just wrong. Go look at her website and then come back and tell us she has no imagination- you only see what they edit. Martie is the real deal and in a way that appeals to most of America... simple, easy, affordable ideas that help us get together with family and friends. I know I always go to her for help and have ever since I first saw her 3 years ago at a food show. They have not really shown her to all of her ability.

• 1Dishy says:

Well Gidget, seems that they had plenty of time to showcase what Martie was capable of. What were they waiting for? Just saying.

• FN Addict says:

In my opinion, the Food Network would have liked to have one person from each team, but they were faced with rough talent in Giada's team. So, they had to choose one from her team and that made 4 finalists. I would have been fine if Yvan had gone home and we had the other 3 from which to choose.

• Tonya says:

100% my view!!

• Elderleigh says:

There is still going to be some way the "vote" will be fixed and Yvan will win because this is all set up so that Giada can have the opportunity to direct and produce - bet this comment won't make it on the blog.

• Food Fan says:

"WE, the viewers, in order to form a more perfect Food Star, declare liberty & independence from, and utter rejection of, any TEAMS next season. To this we pledge our our time, our Blog-postings, and our online-honor!
        With even-handedness and justice for all. :)

• Linda says:

I agree Kristy Martie would have been the last one I would have gave an extra spot to Ippy love him youngness and his POV dont need another party show on the Food Network. I watched Marties Pilot did not like it she did not tell u what the maranade had in it or how much to add and second she did not even tell you to make sure you devein the shrimp yuk. so sorry Ippy but I hope they find a way to use this vibrant young man

• Gidget says:

They EDITED her pilot- she didn't. Blame the network for those issues you state. Read the recipe- she clearly tells you all of these things.

• cmdg says:

I have to agree. An exception should not have been made for Margie. In past episodes she required more retakes than the others. I also disagree with the judges decision for Bobby's Rep. I think having a female Bobby. Would have been better and different.

• ambersync says:

Martie has never been my fave, she just rambles on and on. Ivan doesn't do it for me either and his food hasn't been all that stellar all along.
      I liked Justin, Michelle and Emily from the get go.
      Surprised to see not many like Michelle.
      I hope Justin gets it.

• ann says:

can't relate to someone wearing a nose ring and torn blue jeans when she is trying out for next food network star.

• 1Dishy says:

Michele just doesn't have the personality to be a Food Network star. One week when asked to be more "likable" in front of the camera, she did this awful head bobbing thing while talking. Then all the hand waving in her promo. Yvan is much more relaxed in front of the camera, but alas, his food sucks. Martie will probably eat up all her production costs with so many takes cause she rambles on so much, poor thing just can't help herself! But Justin is the real deal! A young, brilliant, up and coming chef. I voted for him and hope he wins.

• JM61 says:

I don't like seafood.

• lmlickfe says:

I agree with you all the way, I find her very boring and would not watch her show. I don't think that it was fair for them to pick 2 from the same team, when it was said all along that half of them would go home, if anyone should have stayed it should have been Ippy but my fav is Justin

• Karla says:

I agree with you. I thought that was a cheap shot. It sounds like Food Network wants Martie and they will do whatever it takes. Do our votes really count??

• Reyna_70 says:

I totally agree. I can't believe MICHELE is still on Food network star and now a finalist, AFTER cooking and serving a crab salad with a bunch of crab shells in it AND no one was able to eat but, they let MALCOLM go. GO FIGURE!!! I use to watch the foodnetwork when they had "A Cooks Tour," Jamie Oliver, Martha Sterwart and Tylor Florence which was several years ago. And still today they really do NOT have a VARITY of nationalities or different cultures of food on the food network. I'm not really sure why it's called "Food Network" since they DO NOT have a VARITY of nationality or different cultures of food. It would have been great to see Ippy win, someone who could have taught America the culture of Hawaiian food because many of us are unfamilure with Hawaiian food such as I. It's truly a SHAME!!! Now, I'm hoping Ivan will win, but Justin might be the next Food Network Star.

• Ruby Joseph says:

I agree with you, she is so irritating with her non stop talking! I hope Yvan wins, he deserve it!

• Gidget says:

When has Martie (or anyone on the show for that matter) had a chance to talk non-stop? Dumb comment. They never said that- they said she needed to be more precise and concise- which she learned with Alton's help. That was the point of the mentors. Justin had to learn to be warm. Yvan had to learn to control his voice. Michele had to learn to manage her time better. They all had to learn something- again---that was the point of the mentors.

6. jdp64 says:

This has got to be the most difficult decision I have ever made. Do I vote for one of Alton Brown's team, just because I really like Alton Brown (I also like the two contestants that are his) Or do I vote for another star's contestant (even though I really don't like her that much)? That wouldn't be fair, so I had to disregard who's team this contestant was on and voted for the person I really liked.

I have one question....was this for real?

• Ippy Fan says:

Vote for the person,not the mentor.

• MeWagner says:

I do the same! Kudos to you. I think if they really want us to vote with any "fairness" the network should give us an idea of what their plans are. Are they going to make a show somewhat connected to the kind of show the sponsor/leader produces, or are we just voting on a the "person/contestant" keeping me tuned in no matter "what" they do???? Grr.... I love G's food, and she is beautiful, but she smiles that big grin so much that sometimes I change the channel. I am fine with watching a beautiful person make beautiful food, but I swear she needs to tone down that "big smile" (in the South we call it a S*** Eating Grin.. No one I know grins that much, and it makes her seem too fake, and yet I like her and her food otherwise... lol Oh well, just a Southern POV...

• klink6224 says:

Past practice for that was their show is based strictly off their POV. Last year Jeff Mauro ran with the Sandwich King all season and that is what he is used for now. Believe Guy Fieri had Guy's Big BIte as his POV and thats what he started with. They definitely use this show and the launcher for the winners show. So its not so much what the Mentor wants it to be but the contestant and who they are.

• Shileigh says:

Well, if that was MY choice, I would definitely vote for Bobby's team!!

7. Jen G says:

I agree! Of all the competitors Martie has the most unoriginal POV and has made the least impressive dishes (she also happened to say "Dag Nabbit" more than anyone possibly could).

• MsWinston says:

I live in the south and the only time I ever hear someone say "Dag Nabbit" is in jest. So phony.

• Connie says:

As her friend, I can tell you there's nothing fake about her at all. What you've seen on the show is the real Martie. By the way, we not only say Dag Nabbit, but I'd like to add a Dadgummit to your comment, too.

• GUEST says:

Maybe she should do a local access program in your unexposed area of the world. Her food knowledge would do well on some public access show that no one but you would have to watch. Dag nabbit! Fiddle sticks! Maybe she should call her show Martie Cracks Corn and No One Cares.

• Gidget says:

She's anything but phony.

• Elderleigh says:

I 100% agree with you.

• MsWinston says:

I have disliked her from day one with her self-pity about being older than everyone else. Her food is totally uninspiring -- stuffed endive and S'Mores? You would have to pay me to watch any program she hosted.

• Bev says:

When Jeffrey Saad and Melissa D'Arbian were in the final, I wanted Jeffrey to win! I met him while waiting for my plane to arrive at LAX. What you see on TV is definitely what you get! He is so geniunely nice. Watching Melissa's show, she says alright (I think...brain's not working currently) a lot and it drives me crazy!

• Diamondf Chef says:

Marti sucks

8. Brenda says:

I was sad to see Ippy go. How many shows have you seen on Food Network about Island/Hawaiian food? While Ivan is charming, Ippy's POV is more original and unique. I hope he gets a chance on Food Network or Cooking Channel.

• Carolyn says:

I really felt that they were unfair to Ippy. He was a young guy with an interesting point of view and winning smile. I didn't like that they kept telling the laid back Hawaiian to "have more energy." Why not have him make his audience FEEL as laid back while they cooked great food? I hope that Ippy hits the ground running in whatever is next for him. We all know that in 2012 we could use someone to teach us how to mellow out a bit, and why not make good food, too? Agreed.

• guest says:

I hope it will be Cooking Channel because I think they live up to their name a lot better. Food Network is NOT about FOOD and this season is evident of that. Also they expect the contestants to be consistent with their POV, well why not be consistent about their rules.

• Guest32 says:

IMHO a show about Pacific flavors would be great. Ippy just may not be the guy to do it. He came across pretty dull to me and he never really stepped it up. Sorry, that's just the way I saw it.

• sflagal says:

Ippy's style was definitely unique, and what Food Network may not have realized, is that Hawaiians are "laid back." His style was typical Hawaiian and I was not put off by it at all as the mentors and judges seemed to be. It's all about "ohana" (family) and I think he had MUCH to offer with a very distinctive POV not found on Food Network. FN missed the boat by not giving him a pilot opportunity.

• Ippy Fan says:

They missed the boat to paradise. Ippy could have given the viewers a trip to paradise every week with his island charm and beautiful smile. If the Food Network only would have embraced him, they would definitely have a winner on their hands. I totally see it as the Food Network's loss.

• Tammy says:

Brenda, I so agree. I really liked Ippy's POV and was interested to learn more. His laidback personality didn't bother me at all. Hopefully, he ends up somewhere.

9. DeAunn says:

I was VERY stressed today! Since I love them all, voting for one is sorta like voting against the other three. Oh, the agony! I finally just voted for the one who I thought would have recipies that I would actually use. I wish they could all have their own show.

• jdp64 says:

I was wishing the same thing....

• Music ♫ says:

DeAnn, I agree with you. They all have grown on me. I'd like to see each of them on a show. My vote went to the person to whom I could most relate (and whose food I would cook). I wish them all well. For those who don’t make it this round, I think getting this far has opened some doors for them and got their name out there in a positive way.

• yourmomma says:

I really want Bobby to win... VV0VV....

10. Marya Dantzer says:

Justin is such a treat -- his show will be SMART in a way that many on FN are not. I wouldn't call him engaging, but the surprise of his culinary genius outweighs that. I don't necessarily want to be the FN star's friend -- I want to learn from her/his greater knowledge. Justin has that, and I would watch him every chance I get. Yvan is both lovable and smart -- that corn mac & cheese...wow, that gave me a whole new take on a dish I don't often prepare because it can get boring and/or dry. He also would bring a whole new dimension to FN. Michelle...I frankly didn't think she'd make it to the finals, though I was SO glad she beat Nikki, whom I found annoying from the start. She would be an asset, but I'm not sure she has the star power. As for Martie, to me she's Paula Deen + Sandra Lee. I echo the judge's questions about whether she can deliver on what she articulates her show's promise to be, and I've never been particularly enamored of her recipes. And the way she was flummoxed by the "cook from this state" challenge showed a lack of depth that I think *all* the other candidates have showed. I'm glad she was chosen as a finalist, but what does she bring that Paula doesn't? I think in the long run the choice depends on what FN fans think they want -- gentle or exciting? sweet or sassy? And what does FN want -- the exhausted, overstressed viewer looking for shortcuts, or the serious foodie? I am in the latter camp (though I sometimes fit the profile of the former), and I frequently download recipes. I would buy a Justin cookbook in a heartbeat -- and the only other FN star book I have bought is one of Bobby Flay's. So...I guess that's my determining factor.

• Gertrude and Agatha says:

I wouldn't watch Justin. His food isn't something I would make at home. Martie has no clue what she's doing and should have been gone a long time ago. Michele is inconsistent in achievement. I would vote for Yvan because he is energetic and his food seems appetizing.
      VOTE FOR YVAN!!!!

• barkley7 says:

If you are looking for a broad based show, only Justin's and Yvan's would fit the bill. Martie may not know much about other areas of the county and would likely focus on Southern recipes, but what about Michele? Clearly, everything she did was focused on the Northeast. Frankly, I don't see how I could apply much of what she could teach. She kept talking about fish or seafood fresh off the boat, digging her own clams. Interesting, but try getting fresh fish in Kansas! I would watch Martie over Paula because she is not as aggressively Southern as Paula is.

• Gidget says:

Martie not only never made Southern food, she made a wide variety of dishes to be used for a casual party setting- I happen to know she's not only traveled all over the world, she's lived all over the country. Seattle, Chicago, New York, and other places I have heard her mention. She has the right ideas for most of us who like to entertain at home- just want a simple and budget friendly way to do it.

• uldihaa says:

I see Justin as 'Alton 2.0', and this is a good thing. I think he'd take the next step in the process began by Alton and bring more SCIENCE to cooking; hopefully in as quirky and entertaining way as his mentor did.

The ones that had the unique POV are all gone, and the one that remains has too narrow a focus; New England and the East Coast is great, if you live there (like me) and fresh seafood is readily available. I was really interested in Emily, and would have enjoyed watching her do her retro-dishes; I think they could have combined Justin with her and created a really unique show that had them doing the same dish with a different approach. And Ippy? Yes, please. I'd love to see more about Pacific cuisine that isn't California. Even better, he'd have been ideally positioned to do a Pacific Rim approach after firmly establishing a fan-base for his Hawaiian cuisine. He could have traveled and learned traditional dishes from all over the Pacific Rim, including the Southern Hemisphere.