Caption It: Do They Like What They See?

by in Food Network Star, July 13, 2012

Susie, Anne, Jeff and SunnyAfter nine weeks of Star Challenges, Producers’ Challenge face-offs, last-minute secret ingredients, celebrity chef appearances and Miami beach parties, the competition comes down to this Sunday’s penultimate episode. The top six Food Network Star finalists, Ippy, Justin, Martie, Michele, Nikki and Yvan, have just one chance to strut their stuff and prove themselves worthy of a chance at stardom in a promo for their own Food Network show.

Who better to judge the finalists’ performances than a group of food-television pros, including Anne Burrell, last season’s Star winner Jeff Mauro and Sunny Anderson. Take a look at the sneak-peek shot above and notice Jeff’s slight smile and Anne’s and Sunny’s questioning eyes — do you think they like what they see? For which finalists will the Star dream end on Sunday, and who will be able to film their very own pilot programs?

Check out a video preview of Sunday night’s episode to get more behind-the-scenes footage.

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this telling moment in the comments below.

Then after Sunday's episode, the winner comes down to you, fans! Be sure to visit FoodNetwork.com/Star before Tuesday, July 17 at 5pm to cast your vote for our next Food Network Star. You can vote online up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Anne B. says:

This Nikki girl is talking to us as if she owes us money...

• Wayne says:

...did you mean...as if WE owe her money...???

• Select3 says:

If Justin wins, not watching FN anymore!! He does not have the appeal to make me watch him and come back next week.

• Heart says:

I love Justin, I think he's the best cook. I am voting for Martie because she has wanted it her whole life and Justin already owns a restaurant so he is already successful. I think you're very wrong about Justin.

• Ana says:

I love Justin and his recipie on that pilot made me want to try it!! I am glad Nikki did not go on, she was one of the least likable.... I like both Ippy and Ivan, but I did like Ippy better and would have loved to get Hawaii on a plate!! Yvan is a sweetie and likeable but not into the shoe. Love Michelle but not into that type of cooking :) ~ Martie.... I love, but all my votes are going to Justin :)

• Dawn says:

Justin is the ONLY one I'd watch. He's different, the rest have been, and are being done to DEATH. Martie party can come on right after Aartie party...... And maybe next years winner will be named Bartie. Then we can have ANOTHER party, (that I won't be watching either). And NO, I'm not going to put Big Eyed Tuna in my oatmeal cookies, but I'd watch Justin do it.

• Adam says:

she was just unpleasant and looks high maintainance

• @martytodd1 says:

I totally agree. The gal "skeeves" me from the get go.____

• Jim says:

Bobby said this to Michele! Funny how all u nikki haters assume bad comments are either made by her or directed at her! She did a great job and has had a tremendous amount of growth. Wish the viewers were not so ignorant and petty!

2. Bob Toren says:

As the audience looks on, Justin announces: "For your enjoyement tonight we will be having kitty litter encrusted lutefisk with a slug glaze, coyote dropping croquettes and for desert, yes that's right, cow udder eclairs".

• Jeff M. says:

Where does Justin get his lipstick?! I gotta get me some of that

• Bob Toren says:

...and it actually tastes great!

(I should make it clear that I'm a Justin fan, I wasn't slamming him)

• DearMisty says:

Right track ~ wrong ingredients, Bob lol
        i understood where you were going with that & thought it funny ...
        (apparently, Justin can make something delicious out of anything)

• Mona says:

Justin could shit on a plate and Bob and Susie would gloat over what he was able to do with it!

• Bob Toren says:

Hi DearMisty,
          Yep right track, wrong ingredients!
          I thought it was pretty funny and next thing you know I'm bombarded with thumbs downs, lol.
          One of my favorite things about Justin is how far out of the box he thinks.
          Oh well, at least somebody gets my sense of humor.

• Richard says:

Like in most forums...There should be a "Sarcasm" button so people would know when one is joking.

• Anne says:

At least he thinks outside the box. He's creative.

3. Sue Ann says:

Is that Martie in a bikini?

4. cjcal says:

"And this POV is going ... where?"

5. cjcal says:

"Ummm, this person is tough compeition! I may have to upgrade my own show!"

6. cjcal says:

I love Sunny Anderson. She thinks in broad strokes. Here's what I think she's saying to herself: "Oh, Justin, you are soooo close to winning me over, but I'm wondering about the spicy oils and that eyedropper! Are you sure?"

• Bob Toren says:

I always thought Sunny was ok but my opinion of Sunny went way up after seeing her on that tribute to veterans a while back. I saw a side of her I didn't know anything about, and gained a bunch more respect for her.

• Cowgirl says:

Amen to that!

• Jerilee says:

Double amen. God bless everyone in our military. You don't need to support the reason, but support the men and women in uniform for their sacrifices for this country. God bless them, and pray for safe return. I don't like what's going on, but I fully support our military. My brother served two tours in Viet Nam. He didn't like it, but he served. I just thank God he was safe, and returned home.

• Jerilee says:

Yeah, that was totally awesome.

• cherrycooks says:

Sunny is probably the most natural of "storytellers" among all of the FN personalities. While I might not like the type of food that she prepares, I enjoy her cheerful, relaxed demeanor and how easily she shares her military past as she cooks. The military special was one of the best FN specials ever!

7. cjcal says:

"Oh? It looks like they put a Big Mac in the Chopped basket!"

• Steve says:

lol. I'd love to see a chopped basket with a big mac, red hots, frosted flakes and bubble yum. Now THAT would be a challenge.

8. Wayne says:

If you look at the hazed out faces in the back, I think you see Bobby, Michelle, Nikki, Giada, Yvan, & Ippy.
    Thus it might be Alton with either Martie or Justin doing their demo which the judges are looking at.

Jeff appears to be remembering the stress and shenanigans he also had to endure when he was competing & understanding what they're going thru. Anne looks like she wont like any of them no matter what they do...she's probably saying ..I need a drink ..which she sometimes says.

• Sarcastic says:

I honestly think that they are all just thinking, "This is so boring. Just keep smiling. Just keep smiling." And Sunny looks like, "I spent 3 hours getting ready to watch THIS?"

• Ippy Fan says:

How observant of you.

• carlile says:

I think they should give shows to all 4 finalists and get rid of some of the dead wood on food network, like Artie with the Party, Paula Deen and both of her sons and Rachel Ray. Enough already. Food network needs some new blood and people that can cook and not just hang out with their family members. What ever happened to chefs like Jacque Pepin and Julia Childs. They are/were great instructors.

• Nicejobduducting says:

Nice deduction. All of the faces are a little hard to tell who's who, but I can certainly tell Michele. That red shirt and Bleached white hair is hard to miss. BTW, who are you voting for in the final vote?

9. cornball8 says:

how come the voting mechanism got turned off? Haven't been able to vote for 2 days. Just keeps saying "you can vote again tomorrow' More rigging, FN?

• BMB says:

it is happening to me also, i have not been able to vote yesterday (Friday) all day, i tried now, and still it does let me...

• MoHub says:

Most of the technology on this site is problematic. If you've ever asked to be notified when there's a response to your comment, and you get an email about it, try clicking on "Go to Comment." you'll be taken to the appropriate blog but not to the specific comment, so the link is more or less useless.

Disqus works perfectly for the sites it manages.

• DearMisty says:

me2 <sigh>

• Barbara says:

Is Saturday morning now and I just tried to vote and it won't let me either.

• BReal says:

I just cast 10 votes for Yvan. I think its odd they let us see the percentages but not the number of votes.

• suzanne says:

All of a sudden I couldn't watch videos or vote. My computer geek husband disposed of "cookies" and now I'm all good again.

• cherrycooks says:

I was able to cast my 10 votes just now. I divide them up among the three that I'd like to see in the finals: Ippy, Martie, Yvan.

• SilverScribe says:

I think it's a 'technical" thing. I voted last evening, but can't vote this morning.

I suspect that it has a lot to do with timing. The server likely records your IP address and a date and timestamp when you cast your votes. Therefore, in order to vote once a "day", the server simply checks the date and timestamp of your last vote and if it hasn't been 24 hours, it hasn't been a "day".

You can try voting around the same time each day. I'll bet that as soon as it's a minute past the previous day's time, you'll be fine.

IMHO, of course.

• DearMisty says:

voted at 3pm yesterday, TRIED to vote at 4pm today ... couldn't
        so much for that theory

• Chef Chris says:

you're correctomundo, cornball8. Everything about FN is rigged - and the scripts repeated every week by Wuss Bob and Bipolar Susie. You're too cocky! You're too quiet! Who are you? What are you really about? Not enough this, too much that. Over and over again......... and the voting is fixed. The fans have nothing to do with it.

• DiamondMarquee20 says:

It is working fine for me..voted last night, and today....

10. cornball8 says:

Caption: "now what was it we saw in Justin that made us think he'd be a viable star?"