The Sandwich King Hits South Beach

by in Food Network Star, July 12, 2012

In between parties, cooking demos and guest-judging the Star episode airing this Sunday, last year's winner, Jeff Mauro, found some time during the South Beach Wine & Food Festival to show FN Dish where to find the best sandwiches in Miami. Over French salami and Camembert at La Sandwicherie, the Sandwich King catches us up on the whirlwind year he's had since winning Star.

Just one year ago, Jeff stood in the finalists' shoes. "I've learned so much that I've applied to every aspect of this business so far," he says. "You learn a lot through taping your season. You know, small things like smiling all the time. I'm always learning. Most of all, I've learned that it's a fun business!"

Watch the exclusive video and don't miss this Sunday's episode, where Jeff joins an all-star panel of guest judges including Sunny Andersen, Anne Burrell, Aaron Sanchez, Robert Irvine and Melissa d'Arabian.

Caption It: Cha-Ching

Last week Food Network Star finalists embraced one of the most-faced aspects of Las Vegas — an over-the-top party scene — as they hosted a poolsid...

1. Barbara says:

Remember folks that people that never come to the site to comment on one of the blogs and who do not participate in the ongoing fan poll on this site will be voting in the final. Which means, that things could change drastically. So who you see now as frontrunner may come up short overall when all of America votes....not just those of us who have been posting and voting all along.

• Juli says:

very true

• Double Stack says:

Just read we only have about 24 hours to vote, up to 10 times per day, online, for the final. So everyone in America only has 20 votes and 2 days...thank goodness for high speed internet because I'm ready for not being able to even link to the main FN website!

• Food Fan says:

Yeah. And it sucks, doesnt it?
      "sally" is on facebook. She has 2,613 followers who think she is kewl.
      Sally tells 'em all on Facebook: I'm voting for so-n-so, so help me out and vote with me for whoever. They do. Cuz they like sally. Maybe they might have watched one episodes of the whole show, and never in this Blog at all.
      They barely even have a clue as to who the cooks are, what they make, or their POV view, or how they did in the challenges, or how consistent they were, or how they've grown, but hey--they'll do sally a favor and just click yes on whoever.
      People like that shouldnt vote IMO.
      Fate determined by the uninformed uninvolved who havent written 2 sentences on here. I hope somehow I am wrong on that. This is one time I'd like to be. I would hope the people voting somehow have more knowledge from 1st-hand viewing (and not just the final episode/vote) than just doing sally a favor.
      But its outta my hands....

• Barbara says:

Yeah, it does suck. People who haven't really paid much attention get to vote. It's kinda like politics and voting. I mean, people who really don't keep up with what's going on, but vote based solely on one thing or what someone might tell them, and not the big picture. But there's nothing we can do about it except hope for the best.
        I'll be voing for Ippy if he makes it. I believe it'll be either him or Yvan from Giada's team, Justin from Alton's and Michelle from Bobby's. But I have to wonder if the team thing won't get thrown out since it's the end of the competition. If you recall the preview had them ALL crying, even Alton, with him saying "we never saw this coming". Maybe BOTH Martie and Justin make it to the final. That leaves just one spot to fill out of the rest of them. Time will tell.......................

2. Katie says:

I always liked Jeff. I liked his POV and his personality - mostly because his humor reminds me of my older brothers. When it came down to him and the other girl last year, I knew it'd be him because sandwiches can go anywhere in the world. Italy, France, America....where as, Mexican food can only go Mexican. Not to mention, it would be out first all-sandwich show on FN, but we have tons of Mexican food shows.

I'm only 13, but I've always loved FN.

3. Katie says:

I think a good idea would be to have a 3 question quiz before you vote, about random questions from different shows. That way only people who watch the show could vote....

• Ippy Fan says:

Are you sure you're only 13?

• JM61 says:

Yeah, except I'm NOT going to watch Yvan, Nicki, or Martie, I would watch Ippy, Justin, or Michele. Did someone slap you stupid, or did it happen some other way?

4. Chelsea says:

I like this guy. He has a great show.

5. Whining FN fan says:

They better not eliminate Ippy this week, or I will NEVER watch Food Network ever again!

6. Whining FN fan says:

They better not eliminate Nikki this week, or I will NEVER watch Food Network ever again!

7. Whining FN fan says:

They better not eliminate Yvan this week, or I will NEVER watch Food Network ever again!

8. Whining FN fan says:

They better not eliminate Michelle this week, or I will NEVER watch Food Network ever again!

9. Whining FN fan says:

They better not eliminate Martie this week, or I will NEVER watch Food Network ever again!

10. Whining FN fan says:

They better not eliminate Justin this week, or I will NEVER watch Food Network ever again!