Expect the Unexpected — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, July 10, 2012

Nikki Martin

Sabotage was the name of the game this week, as the final seven Food Network Star contenders attempted to dodge unexpected hurdles during their live cooking demos. These obstacles ranged from a messed-up microphone during Yvan’s performance and a broken blender in Nikki’s presentation to a persistent audience heckler during Justin’s demo and everything in between. The idea was to play to the finalists’ weaknesses in an attempt to gauge how they instinctively react to unforeseen challenges and minor issues. “They’ve gotta roll with the punches and come out the other end,” Alton Brown explained.

Though some viewers were frustrated that the contestants were purposely messed with, others couldn’t help but laugh as they watched the finalists maneuver — some gracefully, some not so much — through their presentations. One Star fan, Holly Burtchaell @RandomCravings, Tweeted her reaction to this week’s challenge. “I hate to admit it…I love the episode when they mess with them! @FoodNetwork #Star,” she wrote, earning our Fan Post of the Week.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Who’s your favorite finalist still in the running? Don’t forget to cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day and tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

Caption It: Cha-Ching

Last week Food Network Star finalists embraced one of the most-faced aspects of Las Vegas — an over-the-top party scene — as they hosted a poolsid...

1. ILOVEJUSTINWARNER says:

YEAH I GET YOUR POINT FOODFOOD FAN FAN AND HAWAII IS COOL BUT BUT I DONT MEAN TO BE JUDGMENTAL OR ANYTHING BUT IPPY DOESNT DRESS LIKE US AND EVEN IF HE IS YOUNGER THAN JUSTIN HE DOESNT LOOK IT. JUSTIN JUST SEEMS LIKE ONE OF US LIKE I AND MY FRIENDS FEEL THIS CONNECTION WITH HIM. HE SEEMS LIKE A COOL PERSON TO HANG OUT WITH AND I WOULD WATCH HIM DAILY!!! I AM 15 (INCASE YOU WERE WONDERING) AND I STRONGLY BELIEVE WE TEENS DESERVE A SHOW FOR US :)

• Jerilee says:

I don't think anyone is wondering. When you use all caps, you are yelling. Adults usually ignore children that yell until they calm down. When the child doesn't calm down they get escorted to their room, the door is closed, and they are ignored. You are on the way to your room.

• Bro says:

Okaaaaaay kiddo, you are WAYYY too excited!! I want you to sit down, grab your blankie and take a few deep breaths before you wet yourself! LOL

• Food Fan says:

This is confusing.
      Cuz u say you feel a connection. Even though he's 27 or 28, i think. And yer 15.
      And above, you say: HES YOUNG LIKE US AND DRESSES LIKE US AND TALKS LIKE US!!! :)
      So then, either he is maybe immature for his age, or you are very mature for yours? (grin)
      But yeah, teens deserve a show and someone they like. Rock on!

• calpolymom says:

Yeah, we get it that you're rooting for Justin. Here's the thing, though. The newest Food Network Star gets a show in a time slot like 6:00 a.m. on Saturday. It's not going to be daily, and not in prime time either. Doncha know we have to watch 50,000 episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives every week.

• Cowgirl says:

What teen is going to get up at 6 in the morning to watch Justin (if he wins and gets a show), or on Sunday morning at 8 am......

• Food Fan says:

Aint gonna happen.
        I was just havin a bit o' fun "replying back to a heckler" and using their own words against them.

• Sarcastic says:

That's why their parents are paying for the DVR in their bedroom... So they can record shows that are on way too early for them and then watch older men entertain them by getting frisky with food late at night... Teens Today!

• guess says:

Only thinking that Justin can teach our children and teens how to be rude with others and get away with that... I paniccccccccccccccc... Justin showed the really Justin, with no manners at all!!! It is in this kind of situation, small issues that you know a person!!!

2. Rob B says:

Anybody thinking that the mentors will have to CHOOSE between the two pilots of their respective stars? It would definitely serve as a cruel punishment, but it would take a little Bob and Suz out of the decision.

• Juli says:

So long to Bob and Suz.

• Deanna says:

Could explain "didn't see this coming." and Alton crying. I would imagine he would feel awful having to hurt either of his team mates. You can tell he really cares for them.

• cjcal says:

Ooooh. It is a little cruel. Kind of like karma for the mentors because they devised last week's challenges.

3. Mom's Apple Pie says:

Think I misread wrote your quote, apologizes. I've been reading all the blogs too long...

4. AltonFlay says:

I feel Ippy had the toughest challenge. Namely, having Giada for a coach with her girl-crush on Marrrrtita.

• Guest2012 says:

So did Linkie when she was in. Giada made it clear that Linkie was her weakest member and so didn't coach her.

5. Reuben says:

Martita and Nikki were too scripted in their demonstrations. This has been something Suzie and Bob have been warning them about in the weeks prior. Too scripted and a single hiccup can throw you off big time, i.e. Nikki and the blender. If she wasn't so scripted, she would have been able to recover with a simple, okay the blender isn't working, but what you need to do is blend the ingredients for several seconds and then carefully place over the lamb chops. It wasn't as if the judges were actually looking for you to complete the dish but just be able to describe the process accurately without becoming flustered.

• Juli says:

Exactly. And Martita could have easily done the same thing with the peppers. "This is an interesting type of pepper. What's so cool about peppers is that there so so many varieties to choose from. So you get to be really creative with them and try all the wonderful flavors, blah blah blah."

6. Does it matter! says:

Please, we all know who the winner is going to be. Although her food has been either non-descript or not good and her performance has really just been so-so, the producers of this show want Marti. Why? I'll never figure that out. She seems to be cooking straight from a Betty Crocker cookbook back in the 1960s. And she really doesn't seem to know or understand new food and new food trends. How boring she would be to watch. Every week, no one really comments on her food! I find it very difficult to believe that she has that many fans out there.

• becky kreider says:

I would be very disappointed if she wins. Her accent gets more"southern" every week. I'm from NC, sorry not Alabama, but I sure hope she is not one of the two left competing. There hasn't been one of her dishes that I think is great(do we really need a Paula Dean clone?) She's not the worst of who is left but she sure isn't the best.

• reba says:

wouldn't it be a hoot(and I don't necessarily mean in a good way) if this were to occur that she does win cuz "they" can not figure out whose recipes stand out consistently. And look at the other thread where she comes ahead as most improved.Would we think we wasted hours and weeks!?

• Juli says:

And not only that, but she gets flustered every single week. "How am I going to finish this, how am I going to do that?" She has yet to demonstrate that she can talk and prepare food at the same time. I wonder how she would have handled having to do an actual live food preparation and not just walk through the steps. She did freak out about the fish having bones and Justin had to help her remove them. Do you think she could have done that on her own, while talking, with the cameras rolling, while being scrutinized by the judges? I don't know. We'll see.

• Cowgirl says:

How do you know it will be Martie?

• Guest says:

How is Martie doing the Betty Crocker recipes of the 1960's any different than Emily doing the Betty Crocker recipes from the 1950's?

• Does it matter! says:

At least Emily's recipes are updated and have new twists. Plus they are a little more involved and innovated than making a cheese ball and sticking it on an endive leaf. My 14 year old nephew who doesn't know much about cooking even commented on that "not entertaining" food.

• Sumay says:

I have watched all the episodes from the show - and I remember food from the different contestants - sometimes even wishing I could try that recipe - but for the life of me I can't remember anything memorable about Martie's dishes. I do remember a clump of something with Goat cheese on leaves - but that didn't seem like something I wanted to make.

7. Steve says:

I missed the last episode but was sad to see that Martita got eliminated. I agree with the comments that eliminating contestants based on keeping the teams even is no fun to watch.

On Giada's Team - I would watch Yvan's show. I wouldn't watch Ippy's.

On Team Bobby - I wouldn't watch a show from either Michele or Nikki.

On Team Alton - I might watch a show from Justin or Martie. If I had absolutely nothing else to do.

8. jance says:

What is wrong with the fan vote program? I cast one vote, then it tells me I can vote again tomorrow. This happens on a regular basis. Not fair at all for the contestant I am trying to vote for!

• Juli says:

You have to wait until it's been 24 hours since your last vote. So try to vote at the same time every day.

• Juli says:

Or do you mean that it only lets you cast one vote instead of ten? If that' the case, then I don't know what to tell you. Just keep trying.

9. Jewels says:

Not the right place for it, but here goes.

Giada!! I don't watch her shows any longer. I couldn't take one more moment of her phony Italian accent. I get that she was born there, but it is obvious that she speaks perfect English and oh by the way, she even gets the accent wrong on some words...like lemoncello. That is beside the point, one reason I am ready for this season of Network Star to be over is so I don't have to see her bass mouth or hear it again. She acted like a 12 year old most of the time. I was embarrassed for her behaviour. So I knew it was just a matter of time until I wouldn't have to see here again. But wait!!!

She is now hawking Clairol hair products in commercials. *whimper*

• FN fan says:

Well, some of these comments are very blunt. I am glad you are the one posting it. I do agree with all that you said. The only thing you missed was her clothing. I do hope they pick a different female mentor next year. Maybe Ina or Mrs. Neely.

• Sumay says:

Truthfully - there has to be more substance of a Food Network Personality (let's hope) than cleavage and a short skirt - isn't there? I understand wanting the person to be pleasant to look at - but I'll let you know when I want women in bikinis baking in the kitchen. It's just not necessary. It seemed like the last episode and the one on the beach - that everyone walked together because her heels couldn't take the sand and the grass - but perhaps it was just me. If you are out in the elements - dress like it - not like you are walking the runway! Give yourself a little respect.

• Canuck says:

Do you mean "limoncello", Jewels? Cause I think there's a bit of high-school bathroom jealousy going on here... Incidentally, she does speak Italian and her pronunciation appears spot on.

• Stinky says:

HA! Another fat untouchable jealous broad! There's so many of you on these blogs. Go eat another bon-bon and cover your mirror!

10. ShawnSpencer says:

ALright for all the people that said, Oh Ippy should've handled that better, or Justin totally mouthed off.... think if you were in that position. And be honest with yourself, you're trying to do a live demo that could ultimately change your future, and somebody's being rude to you the entire time.... are you really going to be... well Im sorry sir... here ill cook you something special instead while I waste time talking to you?... NO!

So stop criticizing and put yourself in there shoes! Oh and for the record, I thought Justin's comments were hilarious!

• cjcal says:

Y'know, Shawn, I really think the guy who heckled Justin struck a major nerve.
      The guy's comment about his kids not liking Asian or Mexican food came across (IMHO) a little xenophobic (bigoted), and because Justin probably has received a share of biased comments and stereotypes, he had reached his limit in trying to be good-natured to the heckler.
      I do have to laugh, though, wondering what if Michele had gotten the heckler. What she would have said. Hm.