Expect the Unexpected — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, July 10, 2012

Nikki Martin

Sabotage was the name of the game this week, as the final seven Food Network Star contenders attempted to dodge unexpected hurdles during their live cooking demos. These obstacles ranged from a messed-up microphone during Yvan’s performance and a broken blender in Nikki’s presentation to a persistent audience heckler during Justin’s demo and everything in between. The idea was to play to the finalists’ weaknesses in an attempt to gauge how they instinctively react to unforeseen challenges and minor issues. “They’ve gotta roll with the punches and come out the other end,” Alton Brown explained.

Though some viewers were frustrated that the contestants were purposely messed with, others couldn’t help but laugh as they watched the finalists maneuver — some gracefully, some not so much — through their presentations. One Star fan, Holly Burtchaell @RandomCravings, Tweeted her reaction to this week’s challenge. “I hate to admit it…I love the episode when they mess with them! @FoodNetwork #Star,” she wrote, earning our Fan Post of the Week.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Who’s your favorite finalist still in the running? Don’t forget to cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day and tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Rollo Tomasi says:

So glad Martita is finally gone. She slipped up again on her timing and I bet the network figured it was enough. I was worried Ippy would be sent home, thankfully he wasn't. If Justin moves on he'll get my vote. If he doesn't move on Ippy or Yvan will get my vote. Let's hope one of the three moves on.

• Deanna says:

If neither Justin or Ippy move on, I probably won't vote.

• Whining FN fan says:

If they eliminate anymore people, I won't watch anymore. And I really truly mean it this time!

• Food Fan says:

But if you dont watch anymore, then you cant whine and gripe anymore, and then what would you do? (Everybody needs a hobby).

• Jerilee says:

There will be one from each team eliminated. Take your pick.

• Luna says:

My favorite from each team would have to be Justin from Team Alton, Ippy from Team Giada, and Michele from Team Bobby. I also think that they're more likely to move on. If the network has been listening to our comments... wait, never mind. Ok, if in the small teeny tiny microscopic chance that they've been listening, they should realize that a lot of us don't like Nikki. I've read a lot of comments, some of them mine, about Nikki being arrogant and people getting sick of the "Girl on Grill" thing. People also say Martie talks to much (and plus, they love Justin) and some say Yvan is inconsistent because one minute he's low and dull, the next he's over the top, although both of them have improved. I would probably slap myself if Nikki made it to the finale. I like Michele way more and I'm sure there are people that agree with me. So Justin, Ippy, and Michele, though my favorite would have to by Ippy (but I don't mind the other 2 winning).

2. Amber says:

It would have been better if the "mishaps" had been equitable. I do not think having a blender not work is the same as being heckled or have people start talking and walk out on you.

• Rollo Tomasi says:

All the contestants and mentors are shown in some form of disappointment. Alton may be crying because of a contestants heartfelt story. I have a feeling one person from each team will move on. I bet it comes down to Justin

• Rollo Tomasi says:

I don't know what happened above but what I meant to say was, the "mishaps" from past seasons were better. Usually on Rachels Rays show or a short promo on a local news show. As others have said, some seemed easier than others.

• Food Fan says:

I agree. The more even-handed the challenges can be, the better.
      I understand the purpose of what they were doing: how does one deal with
      unexpected frustrations, but i also like a level-playing-field. I wish Cooks would each get the same ingredients, too. And I hope next year, there are no teams. Better to have it everybody against everybody, and no one being saved just because the rest of their team did good. Nikki and Martita should have been gone before Linkie and Emily.

• guest says:

I agree. Ippy and Justin had the worst.

• Mags says:

I so agree. Their mishaps were totally unfair and undermines their self esteem at a time when they are already likely sensitive.

• Roriness says:

I agree so hard I wish I could give you 99 thumbs up

3. Priya says:

Ippy should have been the one to be sent packing.

• Jeremy says:

Martita would have left 30 seconds of dead air for the second time if Giada hadn't been gesturing her that there was a ton of time left. You might try watching Martita's performance again in the demo and in the producers' challenge. In both she was extremely awkward and uncomfortable, she kept stumbling over words in both. Ippy did twice as well as Martita, Nikki did much worse than him.

• Nice says:

Well said, Jeremy! Also, notice the two contestants that did the worst this week (Martita and Nikki) both had a case of making the same mistake twice... with Nikki it was having a blender mishap throw her off (as had already happened on a previous episode) and for Martita it was having 30 seconds left over at the end (assuming Giada hadn't been there bailing her out as usual). I totally agree with what you said: Nikki and Martita deserved to be in the bottom two, not Ippy!

• Luna says:

If that was the case, I would've rather had Nikki leave. Ippy had a hard one, I mean, everyone left for crying out loud! I just don't love Nikki's personality. Martita at least has a warm one, even if it is staged, if she keeps it up, I would love to watch her cook. I'm sick of Nikki with the "Girl on Grill" and "The Grill Next Door".

• Jack says:

Isn't that cheating? I mean, Giada isn't supposed to be helping her team during their presentation.....

4. DonnaJ says:

This is so obvious! It's obvious you are taking turns eliminating one from each team to keep it even. The elimination competition is pointless because we get more invested in the 2 competing only to see one leave! We are supposed to be falling in love with one of them and instead were rooting for Alton, Giada, or Bobby.

• Juli says:

I wonder what Bob and Suz would have done if all three of Giada's contestants had done well with their challenges and all of the others had flopped. They would have to be honest and admit that they had to send one of 'em home to even out the teams.

• Luna says:

I know. No matter what happens, they'd eliminate someone from Team Giada by making up some "we're now bored of your personality, be more fun" kind of thing.

• Guest2012 says:

I agree 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 percent. They want to make teams even.

• logic says:

Or they would edit appropriately to justify what they were doing.

5. guest 7 says:

Great to see Yvan doing so well! America now gets to see his wonderful talents illuminated and shining strong! Yvan has shown us his camera ready performances with "flawless" skill and a consistent POV. He has a "memorable" personality that nourishes the heart, soul, and stomach of his viewers with laughter and joy. Yvan has my vote for becoming the FN Next Star! Best wishes to all the gifted finalists!

• Juli says:

As of now, I'm rooting for Ippy, but if Yvan is the one to represent team Giada, then I will root for him. So team Giada all the way!

• Luna says:

I'm with you on that. I hate the negative Team Giada comments just because it's Team Giada. She picked great finalists so I'm rooting for them. I wish Martita hadn't gone though.

• @YvanBoom says:

Thanks for the support! Muah!

6. guest says:

OK. WHAT the hell, Bobby. You gave Nikki a blender that doesn't work and then you give Michelle the wrong time cues?! That's like night and day. How the hell are those problems even comparable in any way?? Michelle's was WAY harsher than Nikki's. It's obvious Bobby's got a favorite. More evidence of this was from last episode when he didn't help out either Michelle or Malcolm in the Producer's Challenge (as many others have already pointed out).

I thought this episode was probably the most fun to watch, but there was also some injustice. Ippy and Michelle's challenges were BY FAR the hardest, while Nikki's was the easiest. I think they definitely should have taken that into account in some way when choosing who should be in the bottom two. Nikki probably should have replaced Ippy in the bottom two because she fumbled so badly with such an easy problem. I admit Ippy fumbled too, but come on, half the audience talking and then leaving in the middle of your demo?! That's incredibly rude, most people would react to that.

• Juli says:

I know. Ippy was on a roll before that mishap. I think he handled it as well as expected.

• Michele says:

I agree, Juli ! I thingk Ippy handled it well.....he acknowledged the audience leaving and tried to reel them back in.

He handled it like the gentleman that he is !

• Nice says:

I can't fathom why Nikki is anybody's favorite, she is just so abrasive and irritating to watch! She has that 'I'm so smarter than you' aura about her, just the way she carries herself and her manner of speaking... not to mention, that episode with her vs Linkie in the producer's challenge where she made so many rude comments to Linkie ("grill marks on her butt"? That too, to someone who saved YOUR butt in the previous challenge by loaning you some of her flour!). I don't understand why Bob and Susie keep saying that they see so much improvement in her... if you ask me, she is still the same and is still one of the weakest links (her inability to deal with a simple blender mishap - I totally agree, she should have been in the Bottom Two this week, not Ippy!) with the weakest point of view (Grill Next Door? yawn) and the worst personality of the remaining contestants. She should have been gone long back.

• guestforthenight says:

Having worked in front of outdoor crowds while performing and at exhibitionsconferences, trust me, what happened to Ippy is VERY possible. If you're representing your company you can never ever get angry. It makes your product look bad and believe me, that ain't what the boss is paying you for. His temper flared and it showed. He tried to pull it back and recover but it was too late.

7. kathy says:

Since they're all up for the same job it would have been interesting to see how each finalist reacted to and handled the same challenge. How would each of them react to the audience talking and walking out, a missing ingredient, a broken blender or the timing off.

• Jerilee says:

Good thought! What would have happened? Marti would hace blown it off. What about the rest??

• Sky says:

Brilliant insight! I do agree....However many of us feel that the winner has already been picked and that our votes are useless in this matter. The shows are Pre recorded. Encouraging us to vote keep us interested in the show . Thinking that our votes matter, keeps us tuned in. Viewers equals ratings. Ratings keeps the show on the air. It boils down to keeping their advertisers, spending Millions of dollars pay's for the shows,
      pay checks and.....
      Thank You for Your Great comment !
      Sky

• Guest says:

The final has not been recorded. The votes this Sunday by the fans determine the winner.

8. ILOVEJUSTINWARNER says:

HI BOB AND SUSIE

I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT US TEENS DONT HAVE A PARTICULAR SHOW TO WATCH :( THATS WHY I THINK YOU HAVE TO PICK JUSTIN WARNER SHOULD WIN A SHOW!!!!!! BECAUSE HES YOUNG LIKE US AND DRESSES LIKE US AND TALKS LIKE US!!! :) PLEASE PICK HIM I HAVE A HUGE CRUSH ON HIM AND SO DO 13 OF MY FRIENDS IT WOULD BREAK OUR HEARTS IF HE DOESNT WIN!!!

US TEENS NEED JUSTIN WARNER TO WIN!!! HE IS SOOO COOL WE WONT WATCH ANYBODY ELSE!!

9. ILOVE JUSTINWARNER says:

HI BOB AND SUSIE

10. FoodFood Fan Fan says:

If you want someone young like you, I think Ippy is maybe 2 or 3 years younger than Justin. Do you like him? Hawaii is a way-cool place.

• ILOVEJUSTINWARNER says:

YEAH I GET WHAT YOU MEAN.... HAWAII IS COOL BUT IPPY DOESNT LOOK AS YOUNG AS JUSTIN DOES :(

• ILOVEJUSTINWARNER says:

AND I DONT MEAN TO BE JUDGMENTAL OR ANY THING BUT IPPY DOEST DRESS LIKE US TEENS.
      I AND MY FRIENDS JUST FEEL LIKE THIS CONNECTION WITH JUSTIN LIKE HES ONE OF US... I'M 15

• Sky says:

Hi, I do not believe a "TEEN" wrote this message to you. How many 15 yr. olds are watching food network?
      None that I know of. I really love Justin too, and I am far from being a teen......
      Whom ever is writing this to you should come clean and let you know who they really are.... A 15 year old?
      Watching a food channel? Are they in school? Do they not spend any time doing homework? This is silly to think that any teen would write this!
      Sky

• Food Fan says:

I dont buy it either, but it was a little fun to play along. (see my last comment below).

• Mona says:

Why would it be so hard to fathom a teenager watching Food Network?? My youngest is 20 and she has been watching since she was little, which put her on her path to Culinary school.

• Jewels says:

I think it is totally possible that 15 year old would watch the Food Network. But I don't think they represent any demographic that the Network would think twice about catering to. They don't have jobs and buy the products that the advertisers put on the most popular shows.

• logic says:

I don't buy it either. i think it is supposed to make Justin fans look childish.

However, school in the US is out for summer, so who knows.

• beachinfrizzy says:

I have a 12 year old daughter and a 15 year old son who watch FN regularly. We tape the 'school night' shows on DVR and watch together when we all have time. We play along - saying what we would make out of the 'Chopped' or "Sweet Genius" ingredients. Can't say my daughter's ever developed a crush on anyone though, but my son has Robert Irvine bicept-envy. It's hard to find programming that doesn't make me cringe when kids are in the room...could do without the feminine product and birth control ads, though.

• Guest says:

Yeah? Ask the 900 soldiers entombed on the USS Arizona how cool Hawaii is. You'll get dead silence.

• Jerilee says:

I thought you had more integrity than to copy a line from someone that had the same line eliminated. I'm disappointed in you, Guest.. Perhaps your comment will be eliminated, too, for the same reason. One can only hope.

• FN fan says:

Really? Very uncalled for comment.