Expect the Unexpected — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, July 10, 2012

Nikki Martin

Sabotage was the name of the game this week, as the final seven Food Network Star contenders attempted to dodge unexpected hurdles during their live cooking demos. These obstacles ranged from a messed-up microphone during Yvan’s performance and a broken blender in Nikki’s presentation to a persistent audience heckler during Justin’s demo and everything in between. The idea was to play to the finalists’ weaknesses in an attempt to gauge how they instinctively react to unforeseen challenges and minor issues. “They’ve gotta roll with the punches and come out the other end,” Alton Brown explained.

Though some viewers were frustrated that the contestants were purposely messed with, others couldn’t help but laugh as they watched the finalists maneuver — some gracefully, some not so much — through their presentations. One Star fan, Holly Burtchaell @RandomCravings, Tweeted her reaction to this week’s challenge. “I hate to admit it…I love the episode when they mess with them! @FoodNetwork #Star,” she wrote, earning our Fan Post of the Week.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Who’s your favorite finalist still in the running? Don’t forget to cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day and tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

Caption It: Final Feedback

This Sunday marks the 10th week of competition on Food Network Star, and after nearly three months of tests involving timed cooking, camera engagement...

1. Marilyn Maxwell says:

Food Network should choose two Stars this time. I would watch both Michelle and Marty if both had shows. I so long to learn more recipes for fish and shell food. Michelle is a very good teacher.

Marty is just plain funny and entertaining, as Paula Dean. I don't throw many parties, but Marty has many good recipes that I would try.

Choose them both! PLEASE!

2. guest 7 says:

Hey loyal fans of terrific eliminated Stars, consider giving your vote to YVAN! Thanks.

3. Roriness says:

The ones they did to Justin and Ippy were just cruel.

4. Louisa says:

Aloha! This Food Net Work challenge was fun to watch...we are so proud of our Ippy - he's already won (even if not on the FN challenge)he is facing a fabulous future and we are all behind him!

This coming Sunday's finale will be interesting to watch...we love Yvan and Michelle.
    Personnally, I think they are all winners...sure, each one had his/her flaws - so who doesn't?

Ippy left with class - we are happy to welcome him home where he is understood and appreciated.

I congratulate all the challengers - this show was full of tense moments - I am a cook, I've done this same sort of thing (food/cooking challenge in public) BTW, I won. I have to admit it was frightenly scary, tense and also fun. I cannot imagine doing that on such a big scale (in front of millions). So I send orchid bouquets to all of them!
    Sent with aloha for all!
    Louisa of Ippy's home town, Waimea, Hawai'i Island

• Louisa says:

Also meant to thank Food Net Work for giving these rising chefs a great start in life!
      Mahalo a me Aloha!
      Louisa

5. Loyal Fan says:

I truly have enjoyed this show through the years. I have a few problems with this year's show. Alton is far too tough & reactive to his people, Giada comes across like an 8th grade cheerleader trying to prove she's a fantastic mentor. The eliminations being forced to keep the team counts even is totally disgusting. If one team has all three finalists, that's fine, let's just be fair and honest in the show and judgments! The show loses so much credibility when this type of thing happens. And those challenges were ridiculous! I agree that everyone should have been secluded then had the same reasonable challenge to show how they fared relative to one another. One more thing regarding Giada's own show: my family can't STAND Giada's fake over-the-top approach with that ridiculously huge smile... it's SOOO insincere! I wish she would just stick to her normal smile, which comes across just fine. Our favorite throughout the entire show? Michele by a long shot. Great credentials, personality, love of cooking, great POV, and an endearing personality when she's doing her own thing.

6. Foody Me says:

I don't know how Martita lasted so long based on her performance. And Nikki, we couldn't wait for her to be off! I really don't see Marty having a very interesting show, her content is far too light and food too simple, and her incessant talking drives me crazy! They think she's going to change her personality? Justin is another one. If these people tape their shows in their home, who's going to get Marty to stop talking or say something relevant, and Justin from not being so impressed with himself, so cocky, so flip? I also can't imagine him having much of an audience. My teenage daughter, a loyal food network fan can't stand Justin, and even for other "teenagers", who's going to actually try his recipes instead of just treating his show like a goof on cooking shows and eventually lose interest? I don't expect any of the network's demographics being appropriate for Justin's show. No matter who wins, I think Michele should be given her own show. Also, I thought Emily could have a show with a little modification to her clothes and presentation, but continuing with the update of old favorites, which I think would attract many viewers.

7. Louisa says:

Don't forget to watch tomorrow night (Sunday) for the last episode which I am assuming will have all the contestants back...and will also be revealing who the eventual winner is.
    Waimea, Hawai'i Island Aloha!
    Louisa

8. Brenda says:

Well, another "star is born" and add another FN show I won't be watching just like the sandwich dude from last year.