Martita’s Exit Interview: Farewell to Team Giada

by in Food Network Star, July 8, 2012

Evaluation Team GiadaOn the latest episode of Star, Team Giada said a tearful goodbye to Martita Jara. The judges felt that after nine weeks, they’d seen glimmers of a star, but Martita just wasn’t quite ready for prime-time. The pitch room was emotional on all sides: “It has been such a pleasure knowing you, and your food is amazing,” Bob Tuschman told Martita.

Before leaving Miami, Martita sat down to share some parting words. Here’s a sneak peek at what she had to say:

I think at this point, you’re down to the best of the best. I can’t be Ippy, and Ippy can’t be me. If they’re looking for that, they’re going to get that; if they’re looking for this, they’re going to get this. I can’t compete with him because I don’t do what he does and he can’t compete with me because he doesn’t do what I do. I’m not Michele; Nikki’s not me; I don’t do what Martie does. We’re just all such individuals and our POVs are each so distinct from the others. It is what it is.

It’s pretty amazing to have even made it to the 15, and then to get to week nine. Every week that I made it was huge. To have everyone saying “your food, your food” and just giving me compliments? It’s the biggest thrill.

Giada, she is tough. She is a gutsy little thing and she’s a fighter. She’s really intense; she knows what she’s looking for and she’s not afraid to tell you. But it comes from a place of love and understanding and it’s wonderful, because who better to teach me than her? She’s a pro. It’s awesome to have someone like her guiding and advising you every step of the way.

I’m really excited for what the future holds. I’m happy.

Watch Martita’s exclusive reaction video: Watch Martita’s exclusive reaction video:

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Deanna says:

Here's a question, Martita lovers: if she was supposed to be doing lighter and healthier Mexican food, (Giada said so!) why does Marcela look so much more fit? It looked to me like Martita gained a LOT of weight over the course of the season. Or else those last two dresses did her no favors.

• JM61 says:

Agree. She's a heifer. But I don,t think she gainedd weight. She was always a heifer. 1. She's FAT! 2. she's 35? yeahright. She's got to be at LEAST 40.

2. Lynda L Bruno says:

It was time for Martita to go , she stood in front of the camera for 39 seconds? why ? Thinking we wanted to look at her ? ( I know the guys probably enjoyed it ) I thought she should have went last week. She didnot ever tell us about her life ... ( 1st generation mexican ) so what ?

3. jan says:

Martita sorry you were sent home but you were working that pink dress!share what designer you looked beautiful coming and going where did you get it ? does the network dress you all?

4. JM61 says:

I'm watching the repeat from last week right now, and Giada did her little hand clapping cheerleader thing after each of her contestants, and neither Bobby, nor Alton did that. I think they both managed to hold on to some dignity, and Giada...well I think she's disgusting.

5. jan says:

I dont understand why michelle wasnt sent home for serving shells in her food .especially to the children how could the judges even taste it ?it makes me think that the show is rigged anyone else would have been sent home

6. ladymargane says:

I totally agrree. Martita is not only absolutely beautiful, she is also very personable, smart and her rceipes are wonderful She has an easy way of explaining recipes even if she did't tell a lot of stories. Stories aren't always necessary. All I need is that gorgeous face and her fabulous recipes. Good luck and God Bless Martita....I know you'll go far.

7. ladymargane says:

I agree.

8. Pam says:

When Martita gets to the point that she can be as natural and fun during official taping as she is off the cuff, she will shine! Her food looks so good, and makes me want to try it. I wouldn't be surprised to see her again sometime.

9. Lisa B. says:

I get such a kick out of watching the new series every year. It seems like there is nothing new in food these days. I have wondered about their choices for their next seasons. I have disagreed with their choices ever since Melissa won. Have not watched any of the others new shows. I would like to hear American voices speak. Why do sandwiches get such prime time play???

10. Orquidea Gil says:

I really liked Martita. I thik that she should have been with the finlists. She seemed real and she offered a different type of mexican (latin) cooking. But the Food Network does not have any kind of shows like that and I think that they are not too eager to have them. I wish good luck to Martita. I would have watched your show.