Caption It: Cooking With Cameras

by in Food Network Star, July 6, 2012

Week after week, we see that for many Food Network Star finalists, the camera proves to be their toughest challenge. It forces them to look past the lens and make a connection with viewers, while, of course, remembering to speak clearly, explain their dishes, weave in personal stories, integrate their culinary points of view and more – all in a matter of seconds.

But one aspect of Star that’s rarely shown is what it takes to cook in the midst of cameras, to slice and dice ingredients, sauté on the stove, work kitchen appliances and more while multiple cameras are watching and recording every move. In this sneak-peek shot from Sunday night’s episode, we get a feel for the conditions in which Martie, Justin, Michele, Nikki and the others are working. Do these seemingly larger-than-life cameras distract the finalists, or are they just used to them by week nine? Heading into the final few weeks of the competition, will they be able to keep their cool on camera?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this close-up moment in the comments below.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Annie says:

The reall meaining of 'pressure cooking'

2. Mike says:

Cameramen: no don't put your hand in front of the tomato, don't use the plastic fork it doesnt show up on camera, mix slowly! - we're filming this!, must you use cow's milk? - evaporated photographs better, turn that blender off! - the mic needs to pick up Giada's voice!, I t think that red sauce you made would look better on fish than that chicken, place the blueberries in one at a time! - we're filming!, next time put your ingredients in clear bowls! - we dont have an overhead camera, smile and have fun with it!

3. guest7 says:

Hey guys, you're pointed in the wrong direction, it's me, Yvan. What gives, "chopped liver"?

4. guest 7 says:

Hey guys, you're pointing in the wrong direction, what am I, "chopped liver"? It's me Yvan.

5. guest 7 says:

Looking for more camera time, so give it up guys, looky here please, it's me Yvan!

6. guest 7 says:

sorry for the duplicates and revisions....quick fingers...but more exposure???

7. CookinColorado says:

In the weeds again, literally and literally.

8. bobby_fillet says:

My sweat just dropped into Tushman's dish. Good thing the camera didn't catch it.

9. loridenise7 says:

"I really wish my nose didn't itch right now!"

10. FDANDER says:

Martita is getting on my last nerve and so is Giada...Justin acts like he is much superior than everyone else...Martie's whining is really to much of an awww shucks ya'll persona.....Michelle just isnt very interesting and Ippy makes me lose intrest.....Yvan is AWESOME...you can see him change right before your eyes