Paula’s Biggest Fan — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, July 4, 2012

As if the Miami sun wasn’t enough to heat up last week’s episode of Food Network Star, Paula Deen stopped by to attend the beach party the finalists threw for VIP guests at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. She and her son Bobby joined the mentors and network to taste and judge the remaining contestants’ dishes, and offer words of encouragement and constructive criticism to those who needed it.

No one had a better reaction to Paula’s arrival than Team Alton’s Martie. In one of the most endearing moments of the season, she became overcome with emotion and “is-this-real-life” thoughts, crying in the middle of the challenge, “This is a huge deal. I’m Martie Duncan from Birmingham, Alabama, and I’m cooking for Paula Deen!” Paula, too, became emotional during judging, saying that she “loved Martie the person” and “could identify with everything she said.” These two Southern gals were truly “birds of a feather,” as Martie put it.

Star viewer Arian @afgbruins21 couldn’t help but notice Martie’s over-the-top reaction to seeing and meeting the queen of Southern cuisine. “Dying Martie is fangirling over Paula Deen so hard I love it so cute #star,” she Tweeted, expressing the thoughts of the judges, mentors and fellow finalists, and earning our Fan Post of the Week.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Who’s your favorite finalist still in the running? Don’t forget to cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day and tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. NancyMz says:

Martie may be a nice lady but she gives me a pain with her long windedness and she just goes on and on and on and on and on! Let her go home, please!

2. Guest says:

Awww:) it was amazing to see Martie with the person she really admires.

3. lil'Foodie says:

Marty is warm and endearing. I would watch her show.

4. There you go says:

I LOVE how Martie can pick herself up and just improv when she loses sense of timing and what to say when things mess up. I would love to sit and watch her on TV. She's awesome.

5. guest says:

martie is no paula deen and i wish they would guit making out like she is //I find her annoying talking all the time and her food which she is fixing is like yuckie looking //i hope she goes home soon PLEESE

6. ticalinda says:

We HATE MARTIE get her off this competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. TJ Hudson says:

Martie is selfish (she used up her teammates time in presenting). She is either angry or too sweet. I can't stand Paula so I also can't stand Martie. How did she survive and Emily was sent home?

8. Amanda says:

This is the first season I have followed almost completly. THe talent gets better every year and it's a lot of fun to watch. I agree with others here that there are some people on the show that should have been cut long ago and others brought back. Food network please listen to us we know what we want to watch:)

9. Sumay says:

I could be wrong - but her demo (as usual) went over time - and I don't remember her food this time being described as "Delicious" - in fact I don't remember anything being said about the food - but everyone was making a big deal about her love for Paula. I think that might have been the only thing that saved her this time - as Paula said "A Southern Girl can't do anything in 30 seconds." or something like that. It saved her.

10. Naomi says:

Some of you could take a lesson or two fro Martie! Those of you who say she is too "sugary sweet", and she is going overboard with the friendliness and common courtesy, could CERTAINLY take a lesson from the "party girl"!! And, YES...what exactly DO you have against southerners, exactly...HUH?? If they don't care to use your FILTHY, NASTY FOUL language, that has to be beeped out, because it's not suitable for all audiences....(IT'S NOT SUITABLE FOR ANY AUDIENCES!!), then they have the right to say GOSH DARN IT, or whatever other omission of a foul word, they choose to use, in order to not offend ANYONE, because they actually DO care about the people who care enough about them to watch Food Network Star, and want them to succeed! Why don't you LISTEN WITH YOUR EARS, AND NOT WITH YOUR MOUTH, WHILE IT'S GOING FULL BLAST, SO THAT YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND COMMON COURTEST, MANNERS, OR PLAIN OLE' JUST BEING NICE"!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SHOW, OR IT'S CONTESTANTS, TURN TO MTV, OR ANY HBO PRIME TIME FLICK, AND EAT UP ALL THE FILTH YOU WANT, BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY THE PLACE PEOPLE LIKE YOU BELONG...AND LEAVE FOOD NETWORK STATION TO THE PEOPLE WHO TRULY LOVE AND APPRECIATE IT FOR WHAT IT TRULY IS WORTH...A WONDERFUL, ENTERTAINING, ENJOYABLE NETWORK!!