Aarti’s After Party: Take It From Paula

by in Food Network Star, July 1, 2012

Paula and Bobby Deen
Aarti Sequeira won Food Network Star season 6 and expanded her popular blog into a cooking show, Aarti Party (catch it on Food Network, Sundays at 7:30am/6:30c). As a Star veteran watching from her couch at home, Aarti shares her insider’s take on what went down each week.

I, for one, adore Paula Deen. I remember when she appeared on my season of Food Network Star — the first things I saw were her crystal blue eyes and that trademark silver shock of hair. I lost it.

Much like Martie did this episode.

“Paula DEEEEEEEEEN!” I yelled and collapsed in a fit of excited giggles.

And I see her have the same effect on the contestants every season. She manages to dismantle even Alton’s poker face with her signature warmth, drawl and feistiness. So what is it about Paula that future Food Network stars can learn from?

A rock-solid point of view

You think Southern food, you think Paula. You think Southern humor, you think Paula. You think Southern family gatherings, you think Paula. Her POV (as Bob likes to say) is rock solid. It may not appeal to everyone, I’m sure. There was a time, I’m told, when some people may have looked down their noses at Southern cooking. No more. These days, it’s all the rage; people are talking about bourbon rather than Scotch, ribs rather than filet mignon and molasses (or even sorghum syrup) rather than honey or maple syrup. We can’t get enough of it. And neither can Paula. And I think that’s the key here: Paula is passionate about her style of cooking and the culture that surrounds it.

So is Michele; I loved when she talked about the no-nonsense, take-me-as-you-see-me attitude of New Englanders (a character trait that made me fall in love with my Boston-born husband) and how she got a bit breathless as she discussed the sunsets over the islands that will “sweep you away.” It’s that kind of passion and pseudo-geekiness that will make both you and your food shine.

Malcolm, on the other hand, didn’t seem quite as jazzed about the soul food concept he was shilling. Susie called him on it, asking if he thought it was beneath him. You can’t fake it. You’re either wild about the food you’re sharing with people or you’re not. There’s no in-between. At least, not if you want to be a Food Network star. Right, Paula?

Ippy Aiona

Delicious food and recipes that work

Heck, I know that if I decide to treat myself to Paula’s mac ‘n’ cheese recipe it’s going to be daggum good and authentic. Paula has personality for days, but you know that she wouldn’t have lasted as long as she has without fantastic, reliable recipes. It should go without saying that if you want to win this competition your food has to be good – consistently.

When I think about consistently good food during this season, I think of Ippy. This week in particular, his food not only sounded delicious, but the plates looked beautiful. Miso yaki Chilean sea bass cooked on the grill? Tasty and doable. I also can’t wait to try his tip about cooking vegetables in a foil packet on the grill, since I’m not a fan of grilled vegetables in general.

While Justin’s soup sounded refreshing, if you hurt Miss Paula, you’re in trouble. (Although, don't worry, friend; I nearly burnt Paula’s tongue with my tri-tip taco and she still likes me!)

Michele Ragussis

Authenticity

In a way, Paula is much like Michele: This is who I am, take it or leave it. There’s no compromising on who she is, and that kind of authenticity is magnetic. It’s probably why we all refer to her by her first name only. When she’s on camera, I always feel like she’s talking directly to me. That’s a skill that every Food Network star needs to master – and one I’m still trying to perfect.

While I’m falling for Ippy all over again, I do wonder what will happen when he’s no longer in the sand and surf. He’s kind of like a reverse vampire: cold and darkness are his Kryptonite. Can he deliver that sunny disposition no matter how many gray clouds are hanging in the sky on any given day? And while Nikki does seem to have found a better middle ground, I’m still waiting for the real Nikki to please stand up. Bobby Deen’s reaction to her was pretty astute: He didn’t have anything negative to say about her, and that’s where he left it. Show us your warts, people!

What did everyone else think?

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Jim Bob Nicholson says:

@ M. Bodin July 2nd, 2012 12:28am

Wearing lipstick, sporting a pair of red wellies and gelling one's hair to the point it looks as if one's stuck one's fingers in a power socket does not make one a metro-sexual.

Justin ought to consider getting a new set of teeth so that he doesn't look like Jaws and perhaps he should consider a good facial.

• Ray says:

If he quit wearing that stupid lipstick your eyes wouldn't be drawn to those teeth.

• Sarah says:

You do also realize that these guys get all dolled up for TV, right? If you look at his audition video, his look isn't quite so extreme.

• Bill says:

He does not wear lipstick. That was explained in episode One. His lips are naturally red, and it's genetic.

• hagerstown says:

I grew up with Justin Warner. You would be AMAZED to know what he delt with growing up. He came from unbelievable poverty. The fact that he even has teeth let alone became a self made business man is unbelievable. He learned to cook because he had to start working in kitchens at the age of 14 to put food on his tabel. I hope that Justin opens up about his past at some point. I know he wants to shine for his vision and food and not for his survival story.

• Sky says:

You Have major issues Kiddo! What do people have to say about you? I have never met a " Person".
      I guess in your mind You are that perfect person.... Please send a Photo of You....
      Sky

2. guest says:

Ok, no mention of Yvan again! He is memorable. So give more press please, but In the absence, I will. Yvan received high praise for his food, presentation and personality. He spoke with charm, confidence, and skill to the camera and both adults and kids enjoyed his dishes. His tip was just fine. Honestly, don't know why he didn't win the $20,000 Target prize. Ippy is equally sweet, but just beginning to catch up to Yvan with hosting presence. So, Yvan, you get my support and vote. Hope others catch the rising star soon before he moves on to another galaxy.

• Lisa MIller says:

I agree with you completely, I thought Yvan was the true winner. The parents said that his food was the best tasting out of all the food that had tasted, and they children ate the food as well. I like Ippy but he did not deserve that card.

• Billy Jean says:

They didint say best tasting they said most kid friendly lol

• guest says:

Kid friendly is definitely a high mark in this competition, as too many of the finalists are clueless as too what kids want. And, everyone knows the way to win a person's heart is for a child's vote of confidence. Kids respond to genuine, not phony, so this speaks for itself. Yvan is the real star with a true POV.

• Frank Demeo says:

Yvan was the real winner. Ippy was as lame as every other week...except at the beach. Used to be a fan of his...got sick of his POV.

• guest says:

You were never a fan of Ippy and by your previous comments never had anything positive to say about him. I think you are jealous of him and hides it behind distasteful comments to make yourself feel better. We all KNOW you love Martita and that's fine because that's your opinion and this is mine.

• Pebblez says:

BOOOYA, couldn't have said it any better!! Frank don't try to play us, you were Martita ALL THE WAY, now that she's screwing up left n right, paragraphs about her, now you have nothing to say about her, kinda like her 30 seconds of dead air!! DOH!!!

• BMB says:

I totally agree with you and Lisa, Yvan has been placed behind the curtains. Except for episode one that they told him about the meatball being a little big, the rest of his food has been brilliant. Remember the "Chicken Liver Tacos"? About his presentations, he is most of the time the speak face for all, we have seen him cheering the rest of his team, or the others competitors, Did you remember when he was so helpful for Linkie, recommending her to prepare the cheese cake with ricotta? He is sweet, charming, hard worker... and he has moved on and up from his hard times, and author two cooking books, one in English and the new one in Spanish, he was part of the Michelle Obama's chef with the program about bringing good food to the schools or teaching the children to eat right. Yvan has been touring around the country, you can search for him in youtube, he has participated in the NY Chocolate Show, volunteered for the American Heart Association, and more. Yvan keeps his POV family style, and small bites as he called "snack attack". He is humble, he listens to their recommendations, he has been called a 'great mixologist', with mentors like chef Jack Torres, Rocco De Spirit, and others; and adults and children alike love Yvan's food. There is a lot he has accomplished by himself, and he still has a lot a lot more to show. Give him the place he deserves... like the previous guest says " catch the rising star (Yvan) before he moves on to another galaxy".

• Monte says:

Unfortunately for Yvan, next week it's Team Giada's turn to lose a team member. So look for Yvan to go home.

• slapchopped says:

Yup, that's my impression too. Going to be him and one of the other two and no matter what Yvan does he'll draw the short end of the stick and be sent packing.

• guest2 says:

IMHO, Giada's team will have two going against each other, like. Martita is Giada's favorite, so she is safe. It will be Yvan vs Ippy, with Ippy going home ~ sadly. He was given his consellation prize this past week.

• beachinfrizzy says:

Hee hee like the 'car jinx' on Survivor. I like both Yvan and Ippy...it's too bad this late in the game that they're still playing the 'team' game instead of focusing on the strongest contenders regardless.

• MissEllie says:

Yvan seems to be peaking now....he has really stepped up his game. I don't know if he stands a chance though, because Giada is pushing for Martita and/or Ippy so much of the time.

• Food Fan says:

Yes, I think he is peaking, too.
        Fuuny thing with him: I *want* to like him. He is upbeat. And yet, he reminds me of a public speaker people say is supposed to be good but somehow doesnt manage to hold my attention. Its not that he's doing bad, its just that there are others I like even more. I find it hard to remember stuff about him after its over.

• Jo with no E says:

Yvan seems sweet when he's on camera bus really I can't remember a single thing he's cooked or said for the entire show. Hardly memorable.

• Mamachula says:

They use Yvan for the commentaries, they show he is charming, adorable, blah blah, and he is, but I do not know why they are hiding how great he is while cooking, or mixing. He is so funny, and humble. I suggest all of you to look for him in youtube or google his name so you can know more about his accomplishments.

• FNS Junkie says:

I know I'm just asking to be "thumbs-downed" here, but I feel really like Yvan is fake. Yes, even the story about dumpster diving. It almost seemed like he knew he had to come up with a Story so he did. Please understand that I am NOT minimizing the tragedy of kids going hungry and their attempts to find food. I just think Yvan expoited that tragedy for his own benefit. I will admit that he has been consistent with his food, though.

• Mamachula says:

Dear FNS Junkie, this is Yvan's mom, and this how he calls me, Mamachula. I truly regret and I am really sad you think Yvan exploited the situation, even though you apologized later trying to not minimize the tragedy of children going hungry. Only for thinking this way about it, you are already wrong. Because you are innocent until proved guilty. May be I should not say anything about it, because I do not have to give any explanation to you, but I can not stay quite when this kind of malicious comment are hurting any member of my family. Yvan prepared me just few days before the show was on air, so I could easily digest remembering the hard times in our lives. The program was recorded, and by then he could not call me to ask me o share something with me or any other family member. There was not much time to think or plan, and you can ask to any contestant about the pressure on them and the emotional conflicts they all lived while filming. Those ugly moments we went through, were Times that I really wanted to leave in the past. And when he talked about it, there were beautiful memories to be remembered and others sad, but he was cornered, and what he mention it, it came naturally, as he said later this program drove him to self exploration. This memory, sad and painful came out without thinking, he was struggling while he was talking about. We have never talked about this situation before. Remember, that when this program was filmed, all the contenders were isolated from their friends and family members... It was not easy for him to say to the world our naked past reality; and as it was in the past, it was not easy for us by then neither the next day after the program was showed, when all people knew about our past. Even it was long ago, I thought I had forgotten the pain that struggling for food bring to someone's life, especially because my children are my world, my life. By then, we had a short time since we arrived here, to a foreign country, with another culture and other language, and no one to help us. My husband had lost his job, and we had four children to feed, and the only money we had we had to save it in order to pay the rent, the light, gas, clothes for the children, medicines, etc. We went to the supermarket garbage because of our needs at that moment, but we never borrowed a penny from any one, we never robbed, never begged. Hard times passed, and we survived by effort and sacrifices. Never before in our lives had done anything similar, I left my country, my family, my friends, a well paid job... in order to build a family along with my husband here, who came from another country also, without knowing anything about immigration, poverty, racism, discrimination, etc. You can say that I can go back to my country then, but as the time passed by, and the backlog in NYC immigration procedures made us stayed without visiting our relatives for more than 12 years, and then the children started to grow up and forget about their past and started to build their present in here. We, the adults too, started to disconnect with our past and we had to start a new life. It was a point with not return, especially after the political and economical conditions in Venezuela changed. We did not have a computer by then, and the phone cards were luxury as well Magic Jack or Skype did not exist. I am very grateful for this country, we all are very grateful, even though we have had bad times, and we have given back a lot to this country also. We have worked hard and restlessly, without shame in order to have what we have now. We are transparent and honest people. Please do not said ever again that Yvan used our sad past for his own benefit, you really do not know us to judge us so easily. Have mercy, and compassion. We are not a sellers, or cartoons characters, we are real people, with feelings, humble and simple people, who happened to have painful moments. Stop being so cruel.

• FNS Junkie says:

Sincerest apologies for offending you. My intent was not to be "cruel" but to express an OPINION regarding what I watched on Next Food Network Star. While I am grateful for your taking the time to express your point of view and sincerely sorry for your struggles, I would humbly suggest that you (and other contestants' family and friends) PLEASE reconsider reading opinion blogs and comments regarding your loved ones. You will only continue to be offended and disappointed. And posters to this blog may now feel less inclined to express negative opinions, knowing that family and friends are waiting to pounce. My suggestion would be to sit back and enjoy watching your successful son on national television. Whether he becomes the Next Food Network Star or not, he obviously has made his mother very proud.

• Mamachula says:

Dear FNS Junkie, i accept with love and understanding your apologies. To tell the truth i do not check the blog frequently, but since i watch the 7th episode, some people were really rude. And now it was your comment. I know these are personal opinions and I respect them, but when you said he used our painful past for his benefit, I could not be silent anymore. So I need to clarify to you and others, the situation we went through. Especially because we are very hard workers, and honest people, who take advantage of bad situations, after cleaning our tears, to grow personally and professionally. And especially, because we take the hard times very seriously in order to pay close attention to those who are in need or to those who are struggling, to help them to stand up again and go ahead. We are warm people, thoughtful people, who offer/give/serve others first before taking for ourselves. My blessings and my love.

• Sandy says:

I commend you for speaking your mind and standing up for your son. I feel the judges push way too hard to force the contestants to tell "personal" stories. It is unnecessary to make them talk about private lives. Yvan is proud of who he is and it was a tough thing for him to do. You did a wonderful job raising him and you have every right to read the nasty "opinions" and comments that are written in these blogs. If someone is going to comment then they need to be prepared to be chastized.

• Mamachula says:

Thank you sandy for your support. Now i would like to share with you some of Yvan accomplishments ... and they support what i said about him, Yvan does not need to use dirty tactics in order to win.

I got an answer for all of you... http://www.flickr.com/photos/ata08/69462668/in/se... AND http://www.flickr.com/photos/ata08/69462810/in/se... AND
            FoodFest 365!: The Officially Fun Food Holiday Cookbook [Paperback]
            Yvan Lemoine (Author) and Comidas USA: Una coleccion esencial de recetas clasicas y reconfortantes de Estados Unidos (Spanish Edition) by Yvan Lemoine (Sep 25, 2012)
            Google YVAN LEMOINE or go to youtube... :) ...

• Mamachula says:

Thank you Sandy!

• Deanna says:

Oh, FFS are we going to have to fight with everybody's mom on here? Have to take a hand slap for every opinion? Absolutely ridiculous.

• Mamachula says:

Deanna, no one is fighting here, we only had different opinions and we clarified our personal points of view, as an adults. But respect and use of proper language is an A+ in all conversations. Don't you believe it, do you?

• Mamachula says:

And I forget to tell you there are some values that I personally assured my children learn to: be humble, be grateful, be helpful, be honest, be independent, be hard workers, be reliable, have compassion, give back, be respectful and forgive those who cause us pain, damage, etc. May the Lord bless you. Sincerely, Mamachula

• Pierogi Dumpling says:

Yvan has the best smile and confidence, I'm happy he's staying to the final.

3. Wayne says:

I still think that Bobbie could care less if Nikki or Malcolm got sent home because he wants to push Nikki. You guys can thumbs down me all you want but I thought Nikki did well with her tip and her presentation. But she just cant win with kids. The kids says I don't like ranch. Wasnt that a great way to start your presentation with a kid AGAIN complaining about her food? I think she did very good though.

• Food Fan says:

When you say: "I still think that Bobbie could care less if Nikki or Malcolm got sent home because he wants to push Nikki".......yes, its starting to look that way. especially when Malcolm and Michelle face the judges tonight and Bobby doesnt really defend either of them and just says: Ive taken them both as far as I can.
      Looks to me as if he's "greasing the wheel" and setting things up for Nikki to be his last remaining team member. However, (and I'm a lil' surprised at myself for saying this) but....the judges are commenting that Nikki is finding more of a middle ground and looking better on camera. I wonder if she may edge-out Michelle as this progresses. On the one hand, she's been in the pitch room 3 times. Thats bad. But what if she avoids the pitch room from here on out? And tonight Michelle had crabshells in the dish. But then we should look at the whole performance thus far rather than just one bad night. On the other hand, Nikki seems to be "growing" in the judges eyes more than Michelle...so....perhaps she will pass Michelle? Unknown.
      It amazes me how quickly all th attention is now off of Nikki and Martita and all the posts clammering for either or both of them to go home and now everyone's talking about Michelle and Malcolm. (It keeps the drama alive for another week, dont ya think?). Thats probably good for Ratings.
      On the other hand.....IF--we confine things to JUST TONIGHT's challenge, then I do hafta admit---the Martita we saw tonight, did seem warmer (like the very earlier Martita when she was more popular). She didnt bash anyone else. And Nikki, whatever you may think of her---tonight---is impressing the judges more.
      And so, based on tonights episode, if you asked me now: who are the Top 4...it is now looking like the last 4 standing could be: Ippy, Martita, Justin and....?...Nikki or Michelle.

• Malia says:

Definitely agree with who you think will be left.

• pasha2k says:

marita is a phoney baloney, but a personality on screen, i likke justin, he's different, and i like ippy a lot. they really need someone like ippy on the channel, but i vote for both of them.

• pasha2k says:

nikki makes me ill, and so does martie party, ugh they both make me nauseous

4. wintercook says:

It just baffles me that a person with a strong point of view gets cut (last week - Emily) while one with 30 seconds of dead air time remains (Maritia)!! AND now again this week, Michele who served food that could not be eaten because of the shells in it, which to me is enexcusable (!), nor did she have a good tip or good presentation -- yet she gets to stay while, once again, Malcom, who is a better cook/bartender gets cut! This season is truly all messed up!! Justin and Emily should have stayed to the end! Giada was embarrassing to watch gushing all over Ippy and jumping on him -- ugh!! How unprofessional!! And wearing high heels on the beach? Please -- get real! I am having a very difficult time watching Giada -- here and now on her own show, too.

• Rollo Tomasi says:

I think the judges are looking at each contestant overall. While 30 seconds of dead air time is bad, Martita has had decent presentations and good food in the past. Same goes for Michelle. She did have one slip up this week, but has been consistent in presentation and food quality in weeks past.

• Frank Demeo says:

*ahem*....someone here actually gets it.

Okay, continue the meaningless ramblings and whining everyone....

• logic says:

Yet they sent Emily home because she was awkward once because she didn't want to tell a B.S story...

• MCC says:

They screwed up big time sending Emily home, she was definitely one of the best contestants this season. I found her concept and ideas much better than Nikki or Martita's.

• Guest says:

Totally agree about Giada's high heels - doesn't she live in SoCal - and a couple times it looked like she must have been attached to a Barbie stand - she didn't move away from her spot when Bobbie & Alton did - haha.

• Jerilee says:

She does live in SoCal. She needs to stop wearing dresses designed for someone half her age. Heels on the beach, really? IMO, totally out of place. I'll bet Paula Deen didn't wear heels (didn't notice).

• LISN says:

I agree with you 1,000% on all points. Malcolm's cocktail was ingenious. Whereas, Michelle's was nothing memorable (or original). Malcolm had great food most of the time. Michelle's dish last night could have killed someone. That should have been her ticket home!

• speechlis says:

I was sad about Emily, although I do understand why she got sent home. But I do not understand why Michelle is still there, after serving food that was dangerous. I also do not understand why Martita was saved after that dead air. After 3 seconds, she should have started talking again. Easy for me to say from my living room. Emily was my favorite. Giada needs decaf. And a cold shower.

5. Wayne says:

And kudos to Paula Deen for standing up for a fellow Southern girl, Martie,and explaining her. Surely all Southern girls are not all as talkative, at least Paula Deen (another talker) understood it.
    And I didn't know that Susie had such a connection to Martie. As beachinfriz says, 'Susie wiping that invisible tear'.... again. For me, even though I'm sure Martie won't win, I was very happy for her, the little party reject girl from school, was cooking for Paula Deen and on tv, probably watched by at least 1 of those snotty girls who played a mean trick on her. Payback sometimes takes a while to come back but come it will!

Whether you like Martie or not...she is genuine.

• Cynthia says:

i've been saying that from the beginning Wayne....very genuine....

• LLM says:

Yep. Genuinely in love with the sound of her own voice.

• beachinfrizzy says:

Hi Wayne, thanks for the shout out! On va-cay now (Trop Storm Debbie finally moved out) and was out till 10 last night fishing with 15 year old Master Frizzy so I'll have to catch up via DVR when I get back. Sorry to hear Malcolm's gone, he's in the same category as other past contestants I really liked and would have watched...Whitney, Brad...loved the food they made, pleasant low key personalities, but clearly lacking in the 'tragic backstory' and/or 'schtick' departments so beloved by TVFN's powers-that-be. You'd think Bobby would have vetted him out a little more thoroughly but it looks like he's put all his cards on Nikki at this point. I prefer Michele but probably wouldn't watch either one of them (not that I think either is going to win) so whatevs.

• GUEST76 says:

She said "dag nabbit" at least 4 times last night. She SUCKS.

• Nita says:

Martie is genuine but Paula Dean is anything but....

I don't think Martie will win but I think she will be one of the last left standing.

• Orelli says:

However "genuine," the point is that she blabbers on and on and on, without an overall sense of the time-frame within which she is talking. That's a refusal to take responsibility for where she is and what she needs to do. When she starts rambling, time stops and she is lost in her head. She just isn't a pro.

6. Viewer says:

It seems Bobby really didn't care for Malcom out of all his team members. I like his POV - food with soul and I get it. It doesn't mean soul food as in fried chicken. We need a break from fattening food. Paula has diabetes and so many Americans are ill from eating the wrong food. I like the versatility Malcom had. I dont just want to watch one POV. That's ridiculous. I like to see variety. The food network producers seem so biased. I don't just want to watch a show about New England cooking. They don't get it -it's not soul food it's food with soul! I'm fed up with this show and their one sided view. The Food Network lacks so much diversity and is not appealing to the way the world, America is changing and does not speak to the young millennial generation!

• Guest says:

I completely agree. The producers are not evolving with the POV of the Nation! We want to see something different and something that inspires cooking from the heart and soul (not "soul food" nor New England cooking from a Guy Fieri lookalike - there's only one anyway). Malcolm presented a unique style that we have yet to see on Food Network.  One that would genuinely represent an evolving network intent on expanding its own POV!

• candi99 says:

I agree they couldnt wait to boot him now it who they want on the show those judges suck there so wishy washy I dont care to watch the show either right on viewer

• FanFare57 says:

I completely agree with your comments! Malcolm was under the radar because he was quiet and calm. I like that in a chef. I also thought he had more eye appeal than grungy Michelle (who looks perpetually filthy). I wouldn't eat anything she has made so far. Her personality seems forced and fake.

• Renée says:

Malcolm didn't get anywhere because he refused to realize that in order to win the show he had to have a rock solid point of view. I don't want to watch a show with a guy who doesn't really have any definite style of cooking. Every chef on TV has to have an angle, no matter what channel they're on. And Malcolm's food wasn't so healthy anyway. It's not so much that he was so versatile as that he lacked a focus for a TV show. If you don't want to watch one POV, watch different chefs. I don't expect every style of cooking from one chef. Usually they end up not doing all the styles justice. The "young millennial generation" has produced much better chefs than Malcolm, and all of them have a distinct point of view, whether it be a new or old one. To me, Justin typifies that newness, NOT Malcolm.

7. tracy says:

I don't have a favorite yet but I agree with the decision to send Malcolm home. I like Martie's POV because I am just a simple home cook who plans family and friend gatherings that turn into parties. Yvan fills the same kind of need for me.

8. Wayne says:

Maybe they did a lot of editing but I was hoping Justin would've interacted more with Paula Deen. Some of those one-liners would have been great to get Paula Deen laughing. She said nice things about all of them although she wasnt fond of Nikkis grilling--as though it would eventually get old.

Paula really put all of them at ease. Just like she does with guests on her show. I'd love to hear Paula & Marti sit down and talk....I love Paula Deens cackle laugh..makes me laugh everytime!

9. @kchuk07 says:

I agree with Aarti's point about Ippy being different in Miami than in NYC. I agree with Wayne's point about Bobby being less interested in Michelle or Malcolm than in Nikki. I was really rooting for Emily and I am sorry she has been cut. i thought her "Retro Rad" POV was very strong. The person whose show I would most likely watch is Yvan. I agree with Lisa Miller's comment and the guest above.

• christina34 says:

I miss Emily already and will hopefully see her in the future, maybe on the cooking channel like Kelsey Nixon. I also enjoy Yvan and would watch him. The others can just go away.

10. Kay says:

That's it. I'm done with this show. Kicking Malcolm was a mistake, another one after last's weeks. They keep saving personality-lacking people. Martie, Martita and Michele shouldn't be here anymore, they have 0 personality. Martie and Michele are as bland as Corn Flakes and Martita is almost offensively shielding behind being Mexican (I am, and I am almost offended how she's playing that card-- as if we only ate Mexican food and said Hola all the time). Also to the rigged comments: Yes, definitely rigged. Just like the all stars Guy vs Rachel. Painfully rigged.

• Danny says:

Kay, I agree with you on Martita, I am also Mexican and I am totally offended by her playing the card, she was actually given a chance to showcase her Mexican cooking a couple of weeks ago and really did not display what she can do and the week that she really messed up the camera challenge by finishing early and just standing the rest of the time, in broadcasting time is really money and she wasted a lot of FN money and the viewers time.

• FanFare57 says:

Thank you, Kay for your insights. I am not that familiar with Mexican people and wondered if Martita was all that authentic or cartoonish. I find her a bit blank eyed. I liked Malcolm overall more than Michelle. He was calm and cool in the kitchen. He also had no major mistakes and his own cocktail was genius. Conversely, Michelle's shell filled salad had to be recalled due to it being a health hazard. Her drink was unoriginal and laughable. She should have been canned immediately if not sooner.

• guest says:

I so agree I want to watch some one whocooks something different all the time no the same o same o and all Justins going to cook is weird crap I wouldn't try any thing hes cooked yet.I live in NW MO. Half the stuff most of the other chefs/cooking show use we can't even find and they want to bring in a Justin. Michelle been on another show on FN and I can't remember which one so Justin. I won't watch him they screwed up big time last year doing it again. I think Bobbie wants Nikki to wins shes so wants to jump him its sickening his wife better be watching out on her first time at the pitch table it looked she almost grabbed his hand I kept rewinding it surprising what you catch in slow motion with them 2 and justins face ! The smirks and additue and looks he has given them he thinks they are all morans what they they say something mean to him he will be nasty . he was on the show Scott Conett looked like he wanted to break him into .sorry this season really has me fired up.I'm disabled and watch alot of tv they should go get some one off Masterchef be better than any we've seen so far