Aarti’s After Party: Take It From Paula

by in Food Network Star, July 1, 2012

Paula and Bobby Deen
Aarti Sequeira won Food Network Star season 6 and expanded her popular blog into a cooking show, Aarti Party (catch it on Food Network, Sundays at 7:30am/6:30c). As a Star veteran watching from her couch at home, Aarti shares her insider’s take on what went down each week.

I, for one, adore Paula Deen. I remember when she appeared on my season of Food Network Star — the first things I saw were her crystal blue eyes and that trademark silver shock of hair. I lost it.

Much like Martie did this episode.

“Paula DEEEEEEEEEN!” I yelled and collapsed in a fit of excited giggles.

And I see her have the same effect on the contestants every season. She manages to dismantle even Alton’s poker face with her signature warmth, drawl and feistiness. So what is it about Paula that future Food Network stars can learn from?

A rock-solid point of view

You think Southern food, you think Paula. You think Southern humor, you think Paula. You think Southern family gatherings, you think Paula. Her POV (as Bob likes to say) is rock solid. It may not appeal to everyone, I’m sure. There was a time, I’m told, when some people may have looked down their noses at Southern cooking. No more. These days, it’s all the rage; people are talking about bourbon rather than Scotch, ribs rather than filet mignon and molasses (or even sorghum syrup) rather than honey or maple syrup. We can’t get enough of it. And neither can Paula. And I think that’s the key here: Paula is passionate about her style of cooking and the culture that surrounds it.

So is Michele; I loved when she talked about the no-nonsense, take-me-as-you-see-me attitude of New Englanders (a character trait that made me fall in love with my Boston-born husband) and how she got a bit breathless as she discussed the sunsets over the islands that will “sweep you away.” It’s that kind of passion and pseudo-geekiness that will make both you and your food shine.

Malcolm, on the other hand, didn’t seem quite as jazzed about the soul food concept he was shilling. Susie called him on it, asking if he thought it was beneath him. You can’t fake it. You’re either wild about the food you’re sharing with people or you’re not. There’s no in-between. At least, not if you want to be a Food Network star. Right, Paula?

Ippy Aiona

Delicious food and recipes that work

Heck, I know that if I decide to treat myself to Paula’s mac ‘n’ cheese recipe it’s going to be daggum good and authentic. Paula has personality for days, but you know that she wouldn’t have lasted as long as she has without fantastic, reliable recipes. It should go without saying that if you want to win this competition your food has to be good – consistently.

When I think about consistently good food during this season, I think of Ippy. This week in particular, his food not only sounded delicious, but the plates looked beautiful. Miso yaki Chilean sea bass cooked on the grill? Tasty and doable. I also can’t wait to try his tip about cooking vegetables in a foil packet on the grill, since I’m not a fan of grilled vegetables in general.

While Justin’s soup sounded refreshing, if you hurt Miss Paula, you’re in trouble. (Although, don't worry, friend; I nearly burnt Paula’s tongue with my tri-tip taco and she still likes me!)

Michele Ragussis

Authenticity

In a way, Paula is much like Michele: This is who I am, take it or leave it. There’s no compromising on who she is, and that kind of authenticity is magnetic. It’s probably why we all refer to her by her first name only. When she’s on camera, I always feel like she’s talking directly to me. That’s a skill that every Food Network star needs to master – and one I’m still trying to perfect.

While I’m falling for Ippy all over again, I do wonder what will happen when he’s no longer in the sand and surf. He’s kind of like a reverse vampire: cold and darkness are his Kryptonite. Can he deliver that sunny disposition no matter how many gray clouds are hanging in the sky on any given day? And while Nikki does seem to have found a better middle ground, I’m still waiting for the real Nikki to please stand up. Bobby Deen’s reaction to her was pretty astute: He didn’t have anything negative to say about her, and that’s where he left it. Show us your warts, people!

What did everyone else think?

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Karen says:

Please don't nickname Justin "Elvis." :) Though I know Paula was just kidding.

• Jessica says:

I thought it was funny. I laughed every time she called him that.

• Sam says:

I don't remember seeing him laughing about it. He handled it well whether he enjoyed it or not.

• Sky says:

No Kidding!!!!!! Justin is great! He is The Rebel with a Culinary Cause". James Dean's famous Movie was "The Rebel Without a Cause" In the 1950's. Justin not only has the look of James Dean, he also has the demeanor. His food choices are Great and he is wonderful to watch!
      Sky

2. Russ says:

Well, if Southern cooking is all the rage, then Martie might be the next big thing.

She seems to continue to develop in front of the camera and she has grown on me.

I think it is going to be her and Justin in the end.

• pasha2k says:

i can NOT stand *martie party*, she makes mme want to stop watching. i think justin will win(i vote for him) but marita is a good personality. i also can't stand * girl next door*...ugh. i think they keep them around to have ones to boot in the end, but *martie* is trying my nerves i can not stand listening or watching, along with *girl next door*

• Peggy says:

So stop watching............ If you think Marrita has personality you are off your rocker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kathy says:

Disagree.... We need more cooks like paula. Emily, marti, and michele can fill this. They can just be themselves and make us feel like we are part of their family. They are not false or put on airs. What you see is what youn get, the real them.

• Horatio says:

I agree with you 100%.

• Peggy says:

I agree. Martie is chocked full of personality and seems to love what she is doing. She doesn't have her own restaurant - her focus is entertaining with good food at a simple pace. I think it works.

• Deanna says:

Simple pace???!!! Are you out of your mind? She can't finish a dish or a presentation without some sort of horrific panic. Ippy NEVER has that problem. his food is ready, and he's ready to talk about it when it's time.

• my perspective says:

Sorry, but Ippy BORES me to tears! Don't think they could wrap a show around him! And please remember editing, they can spin it (for ANYONE) to make things look certain ways, panic, whatever.

• Guest says:

Martie is a home cook fighting it out with trained professionals. I admire her nerve. We have been following her since we saw her 3 years ago at a food show and fell in love with her accessible ideas and simple recipes. I don't know her but feel like I do- we make it a point to see her when she comes to Atlanta. She might be panicked but on her own show, she would not have that time constraint to deal with. Ippy is very laid back and seems very nice. He's very young seeming but also a bit boring. I wouldn't watch a show about Hawaiian food but once- if it was a travel show with food, I might like it better. Unless I was hosting a luau. But then I'd probably watch Martie for ideas.

• Ruby says:

I agree.

• Sky says:

Oh Please, Martie is just so boring! Yes she was a hoot on the last show, but all the weeks prior, she was boring. I do think that before filming ever started Martie was already picked... Is there not enough southern cooking?
      Sky

3. Guest says:

Rigged as usual. Watch your backs next week, Team Giada. It's your turn to get the boot!

• nita says:

of course to some degree you are right, but I don't think it is rigged, yes, we can expect to see one from this team and one from that team, but that isn't actually rigged. Last nights elimination was who it should have been in my opinion. I am guessing we will see either Michelle or I can't think of her name,but "the grill next door" be the next to exit.

• Deanna says:

It's definitely rigged. Last week, even though it was supposed to be about the individuals, they still chose one from each team for the bottom. THIS week, that rule was over, and since it was Bobby's turn to lose, they chose TWO from his team. They may as well just do away with the producers challenge, since that is most definitely rigged to get rid of who they chose 2-3 weeks ago, and just cut them loose after the star challenge. It's totally transparent, and totally disgusting.

4. guest2 says:

Yes, Guest, I agree. They could have at least put Martita against Malcome in the showdown, that would have provided a little suspense at least.

• MissEllie says:

I was actually expecting the bottom two to be Martita and Malcome....but I must have forgotten that Martita seems to get a free pass every week...why, I don't know!

• Guest3 says:

Because they are under pressure to have another Mexican show. FN is all about serving a wide variety of viewers and that would draw in the Spanish speaking crowds which I am sure they're lacking right now because I don't have many Mexican neighbors dying to cook with Paula Deen. But they are all cooking Tamales every week....

5. M. Bodin says:

Is it me or does anyone think that Justin is a hipster metrosexual. He is pretty and manly at the same time, and his appeal to both women and men is the key to his rise in the ranks, aside from his obvious food chops I think.

• Guest says:

What does that mean?

• LHSSC says:

Sorry, I don't find Justin at all 'pretty'. In fact, to me he is repuslive. He is a juvenile version of that comedian who made a career out of being homely. Can't remember his name.. I like Michele and Yvan the best out of the remaining contestants.

• guest says:

YesI agree I watchm alot of tv mostly cooking show and he is REPUSLIVE with his lipstick Eddie Munter look going on and if any one remember the show Scott had the judge on Chopped 24 hour resturant or something Justin was on it he was overly rude and nasty to his girl friend Scott pointed that out lots f times but the other team just made so many mistakes he was bound to win it I think Foodnetwork is making a huge mistake if they pick him I for one won't watch him I guess they can't find any good chefs any more they last 3 years hasn't been good ones

• Sheri S says:

I agree. I would never lose 1/2 hour of my life watching his show.

• Ray says:

Justin is ANYTHING but manly. I have trouble looking at him and I sure won't watch a show of his.

• Jessica says:

Ur wrong Ray, so wrong. Justin is a cool guy with a funky kind of way of cooking that almost anyone would love. Except u of course.

• Marsha says:

Maybe we should ask all the FN chefs their sexual preference. Does it make a difference?

• Jessica says:

Shut up!!

• Jessica says:

Shut up M. Bodin!
      Ur being weird.

• Sky says:

Well My friend, I think that whatever he is, is Wonderful!!!!!!! He is Super Fun To Watch!, He creates great food that I will try, and I wll tune in to His show All the time.
      Sky

6. Jim Bob Nicholson says:

It's getting a little annoying that week-after-week Justin and Martie seem to be getting away with daylight robbery.

Justin is not all that; he remains too Frankenstein-like and as for Martie, she has a baseless POV and couple that with her poorly executed dishes and awful time management... all that comes to mind is that the Producers have already picked Justin to win with Martie being the sacrificial lamb being eliminated in the final.

Crap really.

• Monte says:

You're partially right.

The finale will be three. One from each team. I think Martita is the "chosen one", and they're going to have her win out over Justin (who is better in the kitchen, IMO).

• Guest says:

Why do you say Martie has a baseless POV? Entertaining and cooking at home are two things I am most interested in. I cook well enough for my family but when I have people coming over, I need some help. Her recipes seem easy and fun to me. I'm not a chef- maybe some of you are but I like her. I do like Justin but because he's so unique but I would not make his food.

• kathy says:

I'm with you. I like marti. She is a lot like Paula and sounds like she would give us some good home style cooking. I like that she is down to earth, no put on airs about her.

• Renée says:

The winner is not being chosen by the judges or producers this year, but by the fan vote. So While Justin and 2 others will be chosen by the judges, (I predict Ippy and Martita) the winner will be chose by us. So they say, anyway!

• kathy says:

Jim, I disagree. Marti is more like paula deen. She is down to earth . Also, I think that michele has a chance. We need someone who will give us some good seafood recipes and a seafood show.

• Sky says:

Well, Due to the fact that Martie has been the only one (still on this show) that they let do her on camera
      Tapes, over and over again, it is very clear that for some strange reason, she is still on the show. She is Boring!
      Sky

7. Wayne says:

Congrats Ippy! So glad you finally won and got recognized for your great cooking AND glad that you got your mojo from the warm/hot Florida weather and the weather in order to show who you CAN be! However, you gotta bring it in the little studio that they'd tape your show in also...but at least you won something and I was happy for you! Great going dude!

• Wayne says:

...i mean weather and WATER .....

• Michele says:

I am so happy for Ippy also! He was finally acknowledged for the fine chef he is...and for showing his charm. He would make a terrific FN Star!

I have never once heard any of the Judges say one disparaging remark about any of his dishes....he only receives rave reviews.

So, why is it that very few (only one, the Eggplant Zuppa) was ever featured in the website? Even today's recipes do NOT include his dish from last night....you know, the one that helped him win the $ 20,000 Target card ? His recipe should certainly have been printed....it should have been the first one featured at top of recipe listings !!! This is where the network's obvious favoritism/bias shows.
      Any comments, fellow bloggers? Insight ?

Ippy is a true champ !

• Diana says:

I agree completely that Ippy should be the Next Food Network Star, and am frustrated with the small amount of press & mention he is getting on the website. I'm just hoping they are keeping his recipes back since they will be in his first book, that comes out right after he is chosen as the winner! I truely am getting bored of "more of the same" on so many of the network's shows, and would so welcome the diversity that Ippy could bring, along with his fresh, inovation recipes.

• guest2 says:

Be ready...the prize was a consellation; he's probably headed out next week~sadly.

• Sky says:

I agree! I think they gave Ippy The worst, most Despicable challenge. In my career I have given talks all over the country in the medical field. I am a pro at this however if anyone would have started " looking around, walking out etc. I would have not been as charming as Ippy.... I would haved walked out , had angst about the disrespect and then charged more money for wasting my time........Ippy is a Real Pro as far as I am concerned!!!!!
      Sky

8. Deborah says:

Nikki's eyebrows makes her look so angry and disconnected. It is hard to listen to her without looking at her angry eyebrows.

• brandiedcherries says:

Nikki's face is unpleasant to look at, period. Her mouth is huge, and those Botoxed lips are ridiculous. A caricature artist would have a feast with Nikki's features! Her disposition and appearance are unpleasant, and I would never watch her show.

• Jennipher says:

Wow people are RUDE!!!! I personally know Nikki and her lips are real, so is her hair, her cheeks... etc. Besides you do not put Botox in your lips. You guys are very shallow on this blog. Put your pics up- let me have a stab at your every single feature. Hope you feel good about yourself, because If there was a forum like this about you, i'm sure you wouldn't appreciate the irrelevant comments. This is a cooking show, Nikki has amazing talents as a chef and as a personality. And Mis "BrandiedCherries"- nobody cares if you watch her show- you seem like a snotty brat in my opinion. Thx.

• Sarcastic says:

People are rude. But you have to remember that when you put yourself on television, you face a lot of criticism. Both good and Bad. From people you know and people you don't know. It's just what happens. Look at Alec Baldwin beating the crap out of paparazzi everywhere he goes, can't blame him for being annoyed. Being in the public's eye puts you at risk. Unfortunate, yes. Unavoidable, no. It's a good thing she's proven to be tough.

• Jewels says:

It is not rude if it is the truth. Maybe it could have been stated better, but I too am turned off by Nikki's appearance and would not be inclined to watch her if she were to win. So someone else does care about 'who would watch what'. Not only am I turned by her appearance, I am turned off by her attitude as well. Speaking of rude, in last weeks final challenge she came off hard - aggressive and unlikable. Frankly, I don't know why she is still there with being in the hot seat three times now. Thx

• Sarcastic says:

I am not a fan of her either and I think it should have been her or Martita to go last week.

But, what the person was saying on this post was a rudely stated "opinion" not "the truth." Obviously a lot of people share the same opinion but it doesn't make it the truth. So, I was stating that yes, rude negatively stated opinions are going to be made, said, and posted. Nothing anyone can do it about it.

• beachinfrizzy says:

She does have great hair! I would just rather she put it up or tied it back sometime before standing over her ingredients or plate of food.

• Laurie says:

I agree completely! I was trying to figure out why she always looks angry to me but it's the eyebrows...and I do stare at them.

• GUEST76 says:

It's because she's from California, specifically the LA area. Everyone seems to look that there. Very Kat Von D. I'm not saying I like it...

• Jerilee says:

I take offense to that, as probably several million other gals do. LA has nothing to do with her looks. It's Nikki. I'm sure you haven't seen "everyone" in LA, or California for that matter. We all don't look like Nikki. She is her own unique person. Shur, some may look similar, but don't say "everyone"

• Jerilee says:

PS; she's from San Diego, only been in LA area since age 17.

• Marly says:

Another in a long list of mistatements about Nikki.

• Deanna says:

And how old is she now? People freaking acclimate! Linkie was from South Africa, yes, but lived here for 12 years! In 12 years couldn't get to a food court, or have a damn taco. Apparently, many of these stars have been locked in a basement.

• Jerilee says:

You have to remember demographics. Where I live there isn't a food court big enough to cater to everyone. Maybe where Linkie lives there isn't that diversity. Some ares of the country are just that way. They don't have a Hispanic influence. So nobody knows what a churro is. I'm willing to guess that some communities are so small they don't even know what a food court is!!! Just because you an I know what a taco, or a churro, is doesn't mean everyone does. True world wide cuisine is expanding. But you have to realize not everyone has world wide knowledge, yet.

• Guest says:

LET ME CLARIFY: Nikki is originally from Orange County. Born in Long Beach to a very young Mom in High School. She grew up in Laguna. Moved out at 17 to LA. Never had Botox or anything in her lips and shes not angry, rude or mean. Shes smart, fun, goofy and a blast to be around. She moved to LA to pursue acting, she quit when her boyfriend (celebrity actor) died tragically and she went to school for Psychology and Medicine. She has always loved food, culture, traveling and exploring countries and flavors. She REALLY loves entertaining and cooking for people. She has a wickedly creative mind of an entrepreneur and has decided to find a marriage of her two passions by competing on this show: Food and Entertainment.

Her website may give you insight on her real personality and what she has to offer. Watch her videos. http://www.MyHauteKitchen.com

• Marsha says:

Thanks, Guest! Great info and people need to lay off.

• Jerilee says:

Thank you, Guest, for the bio.

• LISN says:

Guest, you've done a better job of informing the audience about Nikki than her mentor or herself. She sounds more interesting than she's been portrayed so far. She also sounds like Martie's closest rival...

• cunyprof says:

Ok, I get it, this is you, Nikki posting, right?

• Marsha says:

So what you are saying is who ever they pick needs to be pretty, because you won't watch otherwise?
      Sheesh.

• Jerilee says:

Ask the men who they would prefer to watch. 9 out of 10 times they will pick pretty, that's how men are hardwired.

• nita says:

every year we have someone that isn't well liked, someone that develops throughout the season and someone who starts out with a bang and ends like a bomb. Nicki is the one that is hard to like, Michele is the one that started out with a bang and we know who is deveoping throughout the season.

• guest says:

OMG! I was thinking the same thing. Do you think her eyebrows are like that from Botox injections?

• Jerilee says:

You don't Botox eyebrows!!!

• Tammy says:

OMG! Maybe all of you should BOTOX your fingers so you cant type such rude, irrelevant and hateful comments!!

Nikki is gorgeous and sweet and FUN. It a shame how they are showing her. She is in my mind a STAR. I knew worked with her over 8 years ago and she was just as fun, spunky and so incredibly smart and mature beyond her years! No wonder people are intimidated by her! Shes a fireball!!! Go Nikki :)

• Liz says:

I totally agree about Nikki's look! My husband and I have nicknamed her "angry Nikki". I think it's the arch in her eyebrows that makes her look pissed off all the time.

• William says:

Maybe shes pissed off because she realized the audience of Food Network is just a bunch of Bitchy, shallow cry babies that spend their time complaining about things like eyebrows!!! Whaaaa whaaaaa. Get a life.

Nikki you deserve better! Ill watch your show! You should be on Travel Chanel with Anthony Bourdain and the other cool cats.

• Liz says:

Anthony Bourdain???? Wow, he's the biggest jerk in the cooking world!

• Deanna says:

maybe she's pissed off because nobody liked her green healthy smoothie that she promised Bobby was delicious. Maybe she's pissed because she might have to cook for kids. Oh, wait, no maybe about that. Cooking for kids is the LAST thing she wants to do.

• DeeDee says:

Kids are brutally honest and usually don't like anything different than what they're used to eating all the time. Depending on the kid, they may like new things or only eat McDonald's food. They aren't really into veggies or spices... for the most part anyway. I don't think I'd like one of these challenges using strange food to have to cook for kids and impress a bunch of food critics who are used to more mature dishes. Not to say I am a fan, but I wouldn't want that challenge. At. All.

• Deanna says:

But they ALL had that challenge this time.

• cunyprof says:

True maybe, but it's also her attitude. She seems to have a permanent chip on her shoulder and seems to be hostile to the other contestants and judges. Let's face it, the so-called cooking shows on the FoodTV channel are NOT about cooking, they're about entertaining the audience, and I for one would not watch someone angry-looking like Nikki for a half hour. But it's all demographics that determines results. What does the channel need at this point? They need a metrosexual repulsive IT like Justin, who also has an attitude problem. Such arrogance!

• Marly says:

Deborah,the reason you cannot see anything but Nikkis eyebrows is because you are focussing on the wrong thing and probably run your life in the same manner. The only other reason would be that you and all the other eyebrow critic's are tottally miserable, cruel,and pathetic people who find great joy in lobbing personel attacks based on someones appearence! I have seen this girl in person and Iam sure standing next to any one of you we would see who had the most flaws

• Jerilee says:

You tell 'em Marly. I've said it all along to no avail. Stick to cooking and the ability to convey. The network can change your looks. Personal appearance attacks are rude and sooo not necessary. And, by the way, very childish.

• Deanna says:

That's the first impression. Sure, she's not bad looking, but she certainly doesn't make the most of it. She could probably be almost pretty with a make-under.

• William says:

Almost Pretty? Lets see a picture of you please. Come on folks Nikki is gorgeous. Take the advice from Marsha and lay off.

• Deanna says:

I'm gorgeous, and will happily send you pictures. I wasn't nasty in my post. So, take your own advice, and lay off.

• FanFare57 says:

WOW! You people are so extreme. I haven't paid attention to Nikki's looks as being good, bad or indifferent. I find her POV clear and her manner confident. Her dishes have been good to fair to off the mark. Based solely on her food, she's middling in the pack. Maybe, she'll have a break through. Maybe not. But, the nitpicking about her eyebrows is absolutely ridiculous and really trivial.

• Whateva says:

Everyone is pretty, who gives a crap? Let's just get this stupid season over and see what happens next season.... Maybe then we'll finally have someone on the show they keep that people would watch.

• NikkiLeaks? says:

[Warning: Possible spoiler]

It seems like the winner may have been leaked! :( If so, I'm so disappointed (not so much in the potentially leaked winner but with the fact that the decision is out there weeks before the finale). Does anyone think this is worth contacting Food Network over?
      http://pinterest.com/pin/18366310950704828/ http://pinterest.com/pin/18366310950717395/

• suzy says:

I went to that website url and could not figure out who the winner is. Will you just state the named leaked?

• Guest says:

Nikki refers to Bobby as her "mentor and producer."

• NikkiLeaks? says:

Right. Do Bobby, Alton and Giada count as "producers" to all of the contestants? Potential producers, yes, but why would Nikki call Bobby her producer?! That's a little fishy, isn't it?

@Suzy: My username, NikkiLeaks, wasn't clear enough? I thought it was clever... =P

• Sky says:

Please, I would hate to be a friend of yours if eyebrows or whatever issues you have. Eyebrows, my dear do not make the person.....Are you lonely due to you judgmental issues?
      Sky

9. Wayne says:

Malcolm took too long to play the game the way the judges wanted him to play...which was bringing a POV.
    He kept banking on making it because of his great tasting food but if you wanna win, you evidently got the play the game the way they want you to. He continually ignored Bobbie's counsel to get a POV. Malcolm was secure in his dish. And thus, he got sent home.

When he decided to bring it, it was like Judson who got sent home.....a day late and a dollar short.

• candi99 says:

I think thats jacked up they booted Malcom he cooked great in they kicked him off thats wack the should have kicked that chick off from england how u still serve food with shells in it even to kids thats a no no and they let her stay cause her sparkling same old story really wow and makita the one who needs the boot but when was food network all about personality i like the show chop in not for the smart ass remarks the judges say but for the food they cook in to see what weird food there going to have to scrammble up these show sometimes make me sick there such hypicitcs and i know did spell the h word right but u people know what i mean

• Vicki says:

No. They let her stay based on previous weeks work. They just said it was because of the cocktail. The cocktail itself was hardly unique or interesting.

• LHSSC says:

Malcom mis-stated his POV. He talked about soul food - an already well-defined genre- when he should have been talking about 'Food for the Soul'. meaning food that evoked family and tradition and special times together. It's a different kind of comfort food.

10. Wayne says:

Giada just beams when Martita comes on the scene! She so wants her to win more than her other 2 contestants. Shes pushing Martita and Ippy was the one that came through! Surprise surprise on her!

And wasn't it funny when Giada said at the table..."Martita puts a younger spin on Mexican food."...and Alton chirped in.."It'd be nice to hear HER say that. " hahahaha!

• JML says:

I agree with you. Giada really seems to be pushing Martita on us and I really don't understand that. I don't find anything interesting about her and her food has not always been the best. You have to love Alton! His remark was great! It was so good to see Ippy out shine Martita. He is consistent in his cooking and I think he there is something warm and charming about him.

• Lilly Faye says:

Giada's support for Martita is narcissism, JML. Giada sees herself in Martita.

Now if only I could get the vision of Giada clapping like a seal out of my head.

• Jeff B says:

All that was missing from Giada was the ball on her nose.

• Isabella_Cooks says:

Ha ha! Yes... thanks... now I have that 'clapping like a seal' image in my head too, LOL..... to go along with those barracuda teeth! :)

• vikki says:

I am tired of having Martita pushed on the viewer; she does NOT impress, nor does Giada because of it.

• Monte says:

Because I believe Martita is "the chosen one". Although I'd like to see Justin win.

• my perspective says:

You hit the nail on the head Vikki! Makes me gag!

• MCC says:

What really annoys me about the "Martita push" is that in the last two seasons there have been finalists using a Mexican POV that were much better candidates for stardom Susie from last season did much better by Mexican cuisine, showed more expertise and more passion for the food, and didn't get half the perks that Martita's been getting this entire competition. I liked Martita in the first few weeks, but its gotten pretty annoying now, especially after Emily got kicked off while Martita was spared.

• JLF says:

I think it was Bob who said "it'd be nice to hear her say that". That's even better because it means the judges aren't buying the salesmanship.

• Food Fan says:

Nice to see Ippy really shine tonight! He is more consistently reliable than Martita.
      Yes, it was kinda funny to hear Alton chime-in to Giada about "It'd be nice to hear HER say that."
      I'll a lil' more to say about Martita and some others in a later post.

• Rollo Tomasi says:

Not a fan of Martita. Her accent is forced. I have a feeling her days are numbered. People loved her in the beginning but she's starting to show her warts.

• Deanna says:

And if her food is supposed to be younger, lighter, healthier Mexican, then why does she look so fat from the waist down? Marcela looks MUCH more fit, if that's what they're after. DON'T get me wrong. I am not in any way saying that Martita is unattractive. She's not. but she is also not younger, lighter, healthier. I have a friend from Mexico, and she says she LOVES her mom's food, but it makes her fat when she eats it too often.

• Monte says:

Marcela Valladolid is 33. She's younger than Martita, who is 35. And Marcela is actually TRAINED.

• brandiedcherries says:

FN doesn't need Martita when they already have Marcela who is cute as a button and a bona fide Chef. I wish that FN would give Marcela a better weekend time slot and feature her more on other shows. She's a gem! Martita is phony and doesn't have the cooking or teaching skills that Marcela does.

• annette says:

I agree. Martita does not have much of a personality or anything to say at all! Alton clowned Giada twice last night and it was hilarious when he said to her "I'm glad we've already eaten". LOL

• Lovelychick says: