Caption It: Call Me Maybe

by in Food Network Star, June 22, 2012

Just when they are thinking that Bob Tuschman and Susie Fogelson are their toughest critics, the remaining finalists meet a new team of evaluators this week: the press. This group of media professionals can potentially make or break a Star’s public image, so it is especially important for the contestants to wow them with their unique culinary points of view, engaging personas and stellar stage presences. Last week, Martita struggled to tout herself as “Mama Mexico” when Team Giada was gifted a Mexican-themed challenge, one in which she should have starred. Going forward, will Martita be able to embrace that individuality in front of the press? Is she hoping to phone a friend to save her from the challenge?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this call-worthy moment in the comments below.

Relive last week's highlights and catch a preview of this Sunday's episode:

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. dkf (long time male, FNTV watcher) says:

Three times in the decision room: Tiring... (Nikki)

Standing there like a deer in head lights for 30 seconds? Dubious! (Martita)

Smart, funny, sexy, original, interesting but loses to the first two? SPEECHLESS (Emily)

I cannot believe that you pass Nikki who has an identity crisis, can't even cook and is nearly eliminated three times (NOTE: she was that bad three times) and then Matrita who looks like she was watching freight train barreling down the tracks every week. Only to eliminate someone who was original, smart, and charming :( She WAS NFNS material.

• Food Fan says:

I will have more to add in another thread. But for now, all I can say is: If they can forgive Martie, for how she was earlier, they should certainly forgive Emily for one lesser night. I was, surprised at Emily's nervousness. It seemed uncharacteristic of her. But there was plenty to like about Emily. Tonight was a disappointment from her usual performance, though. Still, I wonder about 30 seconds of dead air and 3 times in the pitch room.

• Liz says:

Right, either Nikki or Martita seemed like a much more obvious choice to go. So if Emily "wasn't there yet", I don't think either Nikki or Martita will ever get there. Not original or interesting to watch at all. Emily's POV was so intriguing and what an ingenius cook.

• Jason says:

Nikki is an amazing cook. That is why Bobby Flay picked her.

2. A fan of retro says:

Why are they keeping people that they complain about every week. Emily was her self did not change her pov and delivered good food that I could make at home. Her only problem was she didn't want to cry telling her story on camera. What real personal story did Nikki or Martita share. You screwed up on this food network.

3. Jetta says:

Caption ; "We get to deep fry WHAT?!?!?!?"

• Jetta says:

Ooops wrong picture.

try this one then

"Call 911 - someone just set off a Bomb in here - oh, NM, that was just me."

4. Isabella_Cooks says:

Caption for Martita: "Yes, I'm phoning in my performance once again this week... please stand by while I put you on a brief hold. Your estimated wait time is 30 seconds."

[cue the Jeopardy music]

5. dave says:

the selection of food themes for the respective teams somewhat implies that the network dictates who will move forward. in last week's food court episode, assigning mexican food to team giada put linkie in a no-win situation. how would linkie know what mexican desserts are and how to make them? she was set up to fail from the get-go.

6. Diane says:

REALLY?? Susie? You don't think the viewers can read you and Bob like an open book as to who your "favorites" are? .... And then when you keep carrying them and let better contestants go, you don't think the viewers can see that??? Seems like every season, except Guy's, you two have messed up ... but the viewers don't see that ... REALLY???

7. Relly says:

I think Justin should win! Martita should have lost a long time ago

8. cally says:

I can't believe you let Emily go. She is original, creative, and funny. My favorite from the beginning!

9. Guest says:

Of course Martita is going to cook good Mexican food, duh she is Mexican! Why don't they call the show Mexican Food Network Star! Time to show up Martita.....this show is a joke......they have some real talent with cooks who truly challenge themselves each week to show us something new and excitiing. I hope this show improves over the next week.

10. Janet says:

One can only wonder that now with THEM eliminating Emily, THEY keep saying WE get to pick the winner but will THEY leave anybody left that WE want to vote for??????????