Poll: Which Food-Court Kiosk Would You Line Up For?

by in Food Network Star, June 21, 2012

Food courts: Love ‘em or hate ‘em, we’ve all been there. Some stands are more inviting than others, offering fresh, cooked-on-site dishes served by friendly clerks, while many leave something — OK, plenty — to be desired.

On last Sunday’s episode, Star finalists on Team Alton, Team Bobby and Team Giada opened their own versions of food-court kiosks at Lower Manhattan’s South Street Seaport. Challenging them to cook for and serve hundreds of passersby, the remaining contestants were forced to bring their culinary and social A games.

Team Giada’s Martita, Yvan, Ippy and Linkie opened Besa Me (pictured above), a Mexican-inspired pop-up serving tortilla soup, carne asada tacos, chipotle chili and churros. Yvan incorporated the secret-ingredient chicken livers into his dish and they won rave reviews from the judges. Bob Tuschman exclaimed, “I could never imagine myself saying ‘I can’t wait for my next chicken-liver taco,’ but I can’t wait for my next chicken-liver taco!”

Seafood was on the menu at Team Bobby’s kiosk, American Sandbar (pictured above). Michele prepared bowls of traditional New England clam chowder, topped with a chicken-liver crouton, and Malcolm and Nikki offered Maryland-style crab cakes and fish tacos, respectively. Susie Fogelson wished that Nikki’s tacos had more of a spicy kick, while Bob Tuschman appreciated that Malcolm’s crab cake featured more crab than cake.

Team Alton’s trio of finalists opened Littler Italy (pictured above), serving Justin’s fritto misto with fried chicken livers, Martie’s Southern-style arancini and Emily’s sweet, fruity panini. Their Italian-style spread wowed the judges and earned each of them immunity from this week’s elimination.

Tell us: If you were at South Street Seaport, which of the Star food-court kiosks would you line up for?

Who’s your favorite finalist still in the running? Don’t forget to cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Juli says:

Any food stand that that handsome Hawaiian is serving food from, I would be standing in line for. Go Ippy!

2. beachinfrizzy says:

I would go with my sister. We would pick on Justin's fritto misto and Martie's aranciata as appetizers. Then our 'soup course' with Michele's chowder, followed by 'surf and turf' with Malcom's crab cakes and Ippy's chile verde. Finish up by splitting one order of Emily's amazingly indulgent apple grilled cheese.

3. Dr. L says:

Wait...so...Team Bobby got "American Deli"...

But their kiosk ended up being American seafood...

I don't see the correlation. How did the judges NOT call them out on basically changing their theme??

• Jerilee says:

Why can't American Deli have seafood??

• beachinfrizzy says:

I was wondering what the producers were thinking...not including a seafood kiosk at the South Street SEAPORT? Maybe Bob and Susie felt they could cut Bobby some slack after sticking his team with "Kid Food" a few weeks ago, and count Nikki's tilapia and Malcom's crabcakes as elevated takes on a tuna sandwich and gefilte fish. MIchelle's chopped liver toast "deli-fied" her clam chowder.

4. Frank Demeo says:

Indeed. I call BS.

5. Ruby says:

I would stand in line for the Italian kiosk. Not only do I love the warmth of Italian food, but the chefs seemed just as warming.

6. cjcal says:

Let's face it, creative Team Bobby did better than the producers on this one. Maybe there is such a place as a seafood deli, especially on the coast?

• beachinfrizzy says:

I'm not aware of an exclusively seafood deli, but there are seafood-based dishes offered at all of the deli's around my town regardless of the type, whether Jewish, Italian, German, Polish, Russian, etc.

7. Reuben says:

Team Alton all the way! Although I would definitely have wanted to have tried Michelle's clam chowder and Yvan's chicken liver taco too. Loved that everyone who got the secret ingredient embraced it.

8. Toklas says:

Justin Warner gets my vote for wearing the most lipstick.

9. Mona says:

American Deli for Michelle's Clam Chowder and Malcolms Crab Cakes!!!

10. PhilR says:

I'm not sure what you peoples problem with Nikki is but to me she is certainly not arrogant or mean spirited. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence and to me she simply exudes confidence which is the way a star should be. Sge was also on 24 Hour Restaurant Battle and carried herswlef the same way and Scott Conant seemed to be quite impressed with her as I was then and now! There is NOTHING wrong with a strong female chef who carries herself like she knows what she is doing, that is the way it should be.