Team Giada: Down to Three

by in Food Network Star, June 19, 2012

Team Giada thought they had last Sunday's food-court challenge in the bag. A Mexican-themed kiosk, with Martita on their side? No problem. But for South African dessert queen Linkie Marais, Mexican food was uncharted territory: "I don't even know what they serve for dessert in Mexico!" Stumped, she ran with Martita's suggestion of churros and hoped for the best, despite the fact that she'd never made them before.

Sure enough, the texture of the churros was off and Linkie tried to re-brand them as "biscotti." But her confidence was shaken, and it showed. She ended up in the Producers' Challenge, where she gave Bob and Susie a solid chicken dish, proving that she shouldn't be pigeonholed into pastry. Still, in the end, it was pitch room veteran Nikki who prevailed, sending Linkie home.

Throughout her Star run, Linkie struggled with confidence issues that caused her to stumble over presentations. "In the end, I realized that it's mostly because of the language barrier," Linkie explains in her exclusive exit interview. "That was where a lot of my confidence problem came from." Giada tried to coax her through this, sharing her own experience of moving to America as a child.

"I am so honored and humbled that I had the opportunity to work with Giada," Linkie says. "I don't think she realizes how much she's influenced my life. She made me realize that I don't have to change who I am."

Hear more from Giada, Bob, Susie and Linkie in her exit interview. Do you think she deserved to go home over Nikki?

Flip through Linkie’s Star Scrapbook and more behind-the-scenes photos from Episode Six.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Jason Rowland says:

Yes. She was so annoying and normal looking. Yuck.

2. Melinda says:

Giada, I'm posting my dislike here because Food Network is my favorite channel. Right now, it is my least favorite. Last season they picked Jeff Marrow (sp) and he sucks! Now, Linky is gone and Nicky should have been gone. I'm losing all faith in Food Network and their choices. Just like huge corporations, they can't see the forest thru the trees. I'm ready to quit watching food network star because of the choices. Nicky? Really? She sucks. I can out cook Nicky with my eyes closed. Really?

3. Sandra says:

Who qualified Giada as a cooking expert? and why did'nt she chose any Black Chefs to be on her team?

4. sebona says:

I love Ippy & Ivan, I especially love that soft laid back attitude....I do NOT agree with the judges that everyone must be so false and over the top, and ALL my friends agree...even my son-in-law who loves the cooking channel, when we discuss the programes we always seem to agree on which chef we like and which one we cannot stand and change the channel when they come on....and guess what ,all my friends are on the same page....we are so sick and tired of the FALSE happy, happy chefs you put on the channel...get real!!!!! not everyone likes the Anne Burrells's and Soooooooo and Neuowwwwww, I cannot stand her and also that Borrrrring Mellisa, get someone real on the show especially as you say they can cook and their receipts will be interesting

5. AMK says:

I really like Ippy. They criticize him for being "laid back". I think that's what FN needs. There are enough annoying, hyper hosts already--Paula Deen, Guy Fieri, Rachel Ray, to name a few. Having someone with a serene way about them would be refreshing.

• Brianna says:

I really like Ippy too-the mentors think that he cooks great and he is so polite!

He's super cute too !