Caption It: Put Up Your Dukes

by in Food Network Star, June 15, 2012

This week marks the midpoint of the competition and the remaining 10 finalists are under more pressure than ever as they look toward the second half of the season. On Sunday night’s episode, the newest Iron Chef, Geoffrey Zakarian, surprises the contestants with a doozy of a curveball, one that just might drive some to their breaking points. Is Team Alton’s retro and rad Star hopeful Emily Ellyn turning to physical blows to cope with the midterm stress? Is she preparing to fight – literally – to keep her place in the competition? Who is her Star rival in this culinary mashup?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this dueling moment in the comments below.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Michele says:

Emily is a "cute" contestant but honestly, I don't think her 50's schtick is going to take her to victory.....POV is too narrow.

• Food Fan says:

I dont think a '50's theme is too narrow.
      I mean, we might say, that making just mexican or just italian or just asian is too narrow. '50's food can cover alot of ground. A specialty show may would seem even narrower.

• Brenda says:

I agree. At least it would be something different. I think there is enough Mexican and Italian.

• guest says:

Even though her personal fashion sense is 50s-esque, I think that her POV would have to encompass retro fare from multiple decades. Plus, with her creativity and mad culinary credentials, I think she'd consistently be able to teach viewers things that they wouldn't be able to learn from any other show. As much as I love her, I can totally hear the judges calling her "one-dimensional" in future episodes.

• Food Fan says:

Hmm. But then, why wouldnt they say that to anyone who specializes in anything....one-dimensional? Seems like a too-easy way for them to eliminate anyone.

• guest says:

I agree with you 100%. It's just something that I can hear coming out of the judges' mouths this season, given Bob's question in the last episode about whether Emily's retro rad home ec teacher persona is a character or her genuine self.

• DONNA TALLMAN says:

AMEN!!

• Jerilee says:

Are you kidding? The 50s is 10 years of cultural diversity!

• Kimberly says:

It is cute but it is just a tamed version of that odd chick on Cooking Channel, Nadia G! I am hoping either Ippy or Martita wins. They hold the most interest, though Justin is starting to sneak in there too!

• FanFare57 says:

I'm not sure you understand that Emily may dress all "50's ish; but her food is UPDATED which makes it interesting...

2. jessica says:

emily:Geoffrey Zakarian i will punch you for that ingedent!
    martie: umm you suure thats a good idea i mean blah blah blah ramble ramble ramble

3. donna b says:

oooo i'd outta tenderize that ....

4. jessi says:

Emily is a "cute" contestant, but her POV is way too narrow.

• Jerilee says:

I don't think the 50s is too narrow. There's 10 years of cultural diversity. 10 years worth od differing foods, flavors, cooking type. Everything from grilling, baking, pressure cooking, the emergence of fast food, and the advent of the microwave ( first home model intro 1955 for $11,235 in today's dollar). Limited? I don't think so!

• Food Fan says:

I see it differently.
      The '50's covers a whole lotta Foods.
      You could probably have an easier time of it if ytou said Giada's POV is too narrow because its "just Italian."
      So, there's at least, or more, variety than a specialty-focused show.

5. bobby_fillet says:

Don't mess with The Fonz. Aaaaaaaayyyyyyy

6. charlottejulienne says:

"Hey...Charles Eames would have loved my J-E-L-L-O casserole! "

7. bobby_fillet says:

"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody."

(Marlon Brando from On the Waterfront in case you didn't get it) Boxing movie from the 1950's. Still don't get it?

8. Mariajain says:

Martie's representation of Pennsylvania was a little weak, Phila. cream cheese is not from Pennsylvania. The mushrooms are from Kennett Square, PA, one of the largest specialty growers in the country. Less is better when presenting your dishes.

• Kimberly says:

The trouble with Martie is that she is just a slightly younger version of Paula Deen, No offense to Paula because I love her! We have a southern cook on FN. We don't need another one, especially one as narrow minded and limited in region as Martie. She can be likable but she is not what the network needs. I laughed when she thought of Pennsylvania cuisine in terms of Philadelphia Cream Cheese! Ahhahahahaha! Really!?!?!?!? Maybe she should watch a rerun of Robert Irvines' Mission Impossible when he cooked for "the Governor who shall not be named"'s inauguration banquet. There were some great examples of the great ingredients found in PA!

• FanFare57 says:

Marti would be good for public access channel in her home town.

9. Mariajain says:

Emily, you are very personable, you go girl! You do not have stage fright, the others made me wince a little.

10. guest says:

CAPTION

EMILY: I'll retro-radically fight you for TNFNS title
    JUSTN: Hey Emily you know this is the 21st Century right?
    MARTIE: Can I go home now?