Fan Post of the Week — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, June 13, 2012

Perhaps cooking for a wake would have been easier after all.

On Sunday night's episode, Team Bobby drew what was arguably the short straw of the live television themes. Guy gave them the challenge of Cooking for Kids, while Team Alton and Team Giada enjoyed Halloween and Game Day themes, respectively.

Team Bobby's Michele was a little irked: “Seriously? It’s Halloween every day with Team Alton. Have you seen them?” She adds of her other competition, “This is like a gift to Team Giada. Game Day — who can’t win? Cooking for Kids — now that’s a challenge.”

Nikki, Malcolm and Michele decided to present their dishes under the umbrella of “mindful meals," even though Bobby warned, "For the kids, it’s gotta be fun and playful. They have to be totally into it.” And while the team's live demo and individual dishes proved to be hits with the judges — and earned them immunity from this week’s elimination — Nikki’s kale-banana smoothie was a miss with the children. "I love the green smoothie," said Bob Tuschman, "but I'm not four years old."

During the episode, the fan chatter on Food Network’s Facebook and Twitter pages turned to Nikki’s green drink. Food Network Star viewers wondered if young eaters would buy into the healthful smoothie, made with potentially bitter raw kale. One fan, Debbie Bookstaber @buzzmommy, summed up much of the online conversation, which earns her our Fan Post of the Week.

Join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook and your comments may be featured in our weekly roundup of Fan Chatter.

Who’s your favorite finalist still in the running? Don’t forget to cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day and tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Food Fan says:

At this point, I could be happy with: (no particular order here)
    Martita, Ippy, Linkie, Emily.
    Those my my favorite 4.
    I also allow for the possibility that Malcolm, Nikki or Yvan may yet surprise us, but I'm thinking thats less likely. Looking forward to the next competition.

2. essence says:

I truly wish that Justin Warner wins this competition. Can't wait for his show on Foodnetwork. His creations are "sooo imaginative". He has show up so many different procedures with food. Keep up the wonderful work Justin. I definately want to see more of you. Alton you did good with selecting Justin.
    Sincerely,
    essence

3. Anon says:

I don't want to see any of them on Food network, to be honest. None of them appeal to me, or my taste in cooking shows. BO-RING.

4. Rebecca says:

A lot of people (myself included) in the world cook for kids every day, how is that so much more challenging??

• Wayne says:

Well, if you put them on tv with their little honest faces showing true possibly unpleasing reactions to your cooking which could get you eliminated, it becomes challenging.

At home with kids---its different.

• JLF says:

Because kids are rarely comfortable trying unfamiliar food - they like the comfort and familiarity of their family's food. My son's constant before dinner question was "have I eaten that before?" My answer (even for new recipes) was always "yes - and you liked it.". :-)

5. LAMARKG says:

Susie and robert your most successful stars have come from my home state of California. Ippy is the classic west coast personality we are laid back and truly enjoy fresh food which Ippy is great at. It is time you loose your uptight New York attitudes as we both know Californians rarely move to New York but you guys all move here. I will say that Justin is probably going to be the winner since his take on food is second only to Guy. I would like to see Justin in a Iron Chef challenge against chef Forgione. Two great and original chefs with a truly great feel for modern food.

6. S.J. says:

Martita is from California. So what? who CARES where you're from as long as you A: cook well B: have a nice personality C: present well to camera and D: have an interesting POV that mostly no-one has done before.

• bobby_fillet says:

What does Martita being from California have to do with anything? I don't understand your post. You think she gets preferential treatment being from CA? FN is NY based.

7. PFK says:

Not the most interesting contestants; no one seems comfortable in front of the camera after all of this time! At least Ippy, Emily, and Martita are eye-catching and seem very nice. Michelle is a real miss...she seems frustrated and angry under the surface all of the time..STOP COMPLAINING! You get to be on FN!!

• guest says:

In my opinion, Yvan is very comfortable in front of the camera, speaks to the point, is sensitive to his team and respectful of others, not to mention pleasant to the eye. He has been directed here, there and everywhere. It is a tricky feat to play the role that the network expects and still be true to oneself. We've already heard from the chefs who have shows that at the beginning they also needed to grow into the position. The attention is purposefully directed at specific characters that the network pushes onto us and plays with our minds and emotions. Please, let's try to give credit where credit is due.

8. FunSized says:

I think it would be better if they had REAL camera challenges again not just in producers challenges!! No wonder they are awkward!!! They have no practice!!

9. guest says:

10. Guest says:

The thing is that its so clear for producers that they no want nothing healthy, nothing that can help people to loose weigh the first one in left was for think in healthy meals, this episode was for the same thing.... So be careful Nikki you must be next if you continuos thinking in cooking in healthy way. Very upset with FN for that.