Team Alton: Three Remain

by in Food Network Star, June 12, 2012

When Bob and Susie declared that Team Bobby and Team Giada were both winners of the Guy Fieri live show challenge, it was bad news for Team Alton. All four members faced the Producers' Challenge and the pitch room, where no matter what happened, one teammate would be going home. Alton went to bat for all of his finalists: "Every one of these people is going to make your brain tie up in knots. You're not going to be able to let one of them go," he told Bob and Susie.

But they had to pick someone, and in the end, Judson Allen bid farewell to the team. Judson had recently turned a corner with his new POV, focusing on healthy food and his personal weight-loss journey, but he continued to struggle with his authenticity on camera.

Before heading home, Judson reflected on the experience of working with Alton: "I don't think words can sum up how much I have valued his mentorship."

Bob and Susie also share their take on Alton as team leader: "He's getting so attached to his team. When they suffer, he suffers. I don't think people see that side of Alton," says Bob.

Hear more from Alton, Bob, Susie and Judson in his exclusive exit interview. Do you think it was his time to go home?

Flip through Judson’s Star Scrapbook and more behind-the-scenes photos from Episode Five.

Caption It: Cha-Ching

Last week Food Network Star finalists embraced one of the most-faced aspects of Las Vegas — an over-the-top party scene — as they hosted a poolsid...

1. Christian says:

I think my top four left would have to be Ivan, Martita, Martie and, Emily. I do think Judson had a lot of personality and I understood his P.O.V. and, although Martie is one of my top four because she is left. Judson would replace her because she rambles and dosen't stop. Team Bobby, good food: no personality and Nikki just seems really um bi***y just a little don't you think and if you watch the first episode of this season Bobby is talking to his team later on in the show in waiting room and Malcom is not there. I don't know if he either was eliminated our just wasn't incorparated in the shot at the time.

2. Food Fan says:

I'm somewhat fascinated over the reaction to Nikki.
    1st thing: Many people dont like her--but---they have trouble putting their finger on it. They just, somehow, dont.
    2nd thing: Of those who said they they didnt like her attitude in the very beginning, she seems to have gotten the message and straightened-up since then and hasnt bashed others. And also has made better dishes than Martie, and done better than several others on-camera...and yet....depsite outperforming some others, there she sits at the bottom in the fan vote. Go figure! Its as if once people get that 1st impression, you just cant be better enough later. Doesnt really seem fair, when I think about it. Some others are doing worse.

• JLF says:

Fan vote has so much to with how many friends and family a contestant has doing the 10 vote per day. Perhaps Nikki hasn't rallied as many troops as the others have.

• Frank Demeo says:

Her Facebook page is relatively quiet. Martita seems to rally people several times a day (If not her, her friends and what I presume to be her family.). I would think some of the others ahead of Nikki are doing the same. Oh, I also heard a radio DJ near Los Angeles mention Martita today...which to be honest, is strange, since Nikki is from the L.A/Orange County area lol. He basically said "Have you picked a favorite or have any predictions? Personally, I'm voting for Martita!"...but yeah, in California at least, Martita is getting some support. A lot.

• Food Fan says:

That--i can agree with. And as I've said before, its also what I dont like about the Fan Vote: "whoever has the most twitter-followers, wins." Anyone can click yes-no or like-dislike. Pffffft!. By far, I'd like to see anyone voting, put their thoughts/feelihgs in writing on here. I wonder how many "button-pushers" even watch the show. They might be just doing a friend a favor, but how informed are they?

• Frank Demeo says:

I say the people commenting here probably represent maybe 5% of the actual voting/viewing public. A guess of course but, I know of all my friends on FB...I have seen zero of them post here...yet, they update their status every time they vote for Martita lol. I think laziness about covers the "why". Well that and, some people are on mobile phones. I hate loading the blog on the iPhone because even with fast access internet...it is slow.

• Jerilee says:

That and these days some must be mindful of their data usage or pay more money, unless of course they are using WiFi.

• Food Fan says:

I still say writing on here is better.
            This blog may be 5% (I'm betting its more)....but that other "95%" ...do they even watch the shows? or are most of them just pushing a like-dislike or thumbs up or down on some phone app as a favor for a friend-contestant cuz they like them and are just doing the a favor, but really have no clue who the contestants are...or maybe they simnply heard that so n so is in the fan-vote lead as of now so they vote for "a winner" without really knowing...? Maybe they *do* know. Maybe I'm all wet on this particular thing. I would just take any individual person more seriously if they bothered to type-out their opinion on here and take a stand and share a view...rather than some other way. (Doesnt anybody have adesktop computer anymore? or a tablet?
            I am certainly, vividly aware that I'm not in charge . Just have a personal-preference for "written/expressed views"...rather than simply "put your lil' computer Dot, here"---for anyone. :)
            I guess I think of it this way....I woud pay *more* attention to someone who actually wrote-in a letter-to-the-editor...than anyone who merely/simply put a dot in yes-no or like/dont-like. But thats just me....
            Peace to all.

• Jerilee says:

Yes, some do. I have a desk-top, a lap-top, and an iPad. Hubby hogs the desk-top. The lap-top is too bulky. A smart-phone is too small. The iPad is just right (sounds like the Three Bears!!!!!!) and yes, writing on a thread, expressing ones selj is better than a dot. That is exactly I don't do fan votes. If I like/dislike some one, I type it out with why.

• Food Fan says:

Right On! ..."give that lady a +1".

• Frank Demeo says:

I would agree with you except I see this same thing in other tv shows and at my office. People don't want to do anything that takes a lot of thinking. Plus, most think "It's just a stupid tv show, what do I care? Oh...click there to vote? Sure, whatever...*click*" lol. Why you think Facebook has 800+ million users? ;-) People would much rather to a status update then call all their friends and say "happy father's day". I'm betting I see a ton of those on facebook tomorrow, no doubt.

I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with how it works...I'm just saying people like instant gratification, don't want to invest much time/effort....etc. Can't blame them if you think about it. And I agree...I would say most of the fans voting probably don't know much about the other contestants. It is what it is.

• Food Fan says:

I would agree that, as you say, "most think "It's just a stupid tv show, what do I care? Oh...click there to vote? Sure, whatever...*click*" . And yer right, Facebook has tons of viewers.
            I think we agree more than we disagree. My point is, that even though that may be true, I still reserve the right to not think much of the folks that just mindlessly "click-to-put-yer-lil'-computer-dot-here...without hardly any thought, knowledge, or giving any sort of informed vote, rather than just doing a friend a favor "hey, I'm running. Vote for me" when maybe they dont even watch the show or know about the other contenders. Yer right, instant gratification, but very likely also: uninformed and lacking insight, or even being all that involved with the show. That is that voters right. but it is also my right to admire and respect *more* the folks on here who express an opinion. I can only hope the FN exec's and upper management pays more attention to this blog and than some almost mindless "click here" just cuz anybody at all is already ahead right now and they just wanna feel like their voting for whoever is already ahead. And that, is influenced by who knows the most people and "whoever has the largest army of twitter-followers, wins." I know it'll go on whether i like it or not. I just respect and give more weight to anyone who writes out the feelings/opinion. I hope the judges do, too.

• jerseygirl says:

On that note. (Sort of unrelated) ....I just re-watched the Manny Pacquiao fight and heard the girls singing the national anthem. One of them was a girl who did not win American Idol this year and whom I assumed sucked because she was all over the news and she annoyed me (lol...I admit, I was wrong)...and when I heard her, I really cannot believe she did not win. The girl has some incredible pipes. And yeah, she lost.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPzgjaGAac

• Liz says:

Nikki is like a plastic barbie doll. I don't see any warmth or originality. Pass!

• Jerilee says:

First impressions are hard to get over. I really try to keep an open mind and not judge on the first few episodes. You can't really judge character, temperament, or personality meeting someone for a few minutes a week. It takes time for ones "real self" to come out, and people (FN, mentors) pushing and pulling doesn't help. Just my opinion...

• Food Fan says:

I think thats Valid.
        And....who's to say....we may yet see (as a sort of reverse 1st impressions thing)...someone who we thought was just fine....may later show an bad side.
        Another exciting adventure of: "As the Kitchen Turns"....or "The Edge of Network" :)

• smd says:

You have to remember that this is a heavily edited show and they try to keep the suspense and make it more compelling to watch as the weeks go on as they already know the winner. They do it by showcasing the worst of the ones they have eliminated and showcasing the best of the ones that are still there to justify their decisions. I think they also try to fool us with the editing by making someone appear to be the frontrunner or loser, when in fact they are not. While I like the team concept, it is a competition for a single slot, so I’m looking forward to elimination by the least talented of all of them individually. I like when they have to do a public outing and cook and talk and the public gets to vote on taste and personality. That seems a better judge that the actual judges IMO. The ten votes a day in the poll is ridiculous.

• Food Fan says:

When you say: ..."I like when they have to do a public outing and cook and talk and the public gets to vote on taste and personality. That seems a better judge that the actual judges IMO. "...I absolutely agree. I've posted this myself in a couple different threads. For example, I enjoy Bobby Flays Throw-downs and when the public eats and comments on the food. I'd love to see more of that in these Next FoodNetwork Star Challenges (even more than once) !

3. Jersey Girl says:

Judson doesn't truly know who he is right now, so there was nowhere left to go with him, and I think Susie sensed this the most. Beneath that shield of "positive, happy guy" persona he puts up to everyone is just a man with a lot of pain... from self-loathing and from being teased and berated all his life about his weight. Well, he's not about to show anyone that guy! Also, that guy is just the pain-filled, wounded guy, it's not truly Judson, either. The real Judson hasn't had opportunity to come out or to be known and never will have unless Judson chooses to put down the "happy guy" shield and offload the painful memories and hatreds associated with being emotionally wounded over his weight problem. He needs to explore those hurts, forgive himself and others, and then allow God to show him his true self beneath. I wish you Jesus, Judson; He's the only one who can lead you safely to the shores of who you TRULY are. God bless.

4. blmjnm04 says:

I think Martie should have left this week. She has no POV. I mean cooking for parties is kinda Paula Dean if you ask me. I also believe that Alton is the worst mentor ever! I mean if you walked in and he sat there as if he new you weren't gonna do good and then said "just go do it good and you may get through this." I mean I would feel like I had no chance what so ever to win. All in all I think that Giada is the best mentor. She tells them something to work on and they do there best to excel. It's also clear that they all love her. To me Fame has gone to booby Flay's head. I mean lets just step back a week. He was fighting with Giada about whether or not Nikki's food was fashionable. (Which it really wasn't) Thats just what I think, but it seems that way.

5. blmjnm04 says:

6. smd says:

I like the new format this year with the teams. They needed to mix things up a little. I think the stars are doing a good job of mentoring(if only all the contestants would listen). The stars…looking at you Giada…could be a little more objective about the other contestants that are not on their team. Up until this past week, I agreed with who got eliminated. I think Martie should have been eliminated before Judson. She is likable enough but I haven’ t seen any food chops from her and week after week they tell her about time management and she still doesn’t get it to the detriment of her team members. I thought Judson was improving and I was interested in his POV.

Team Bobby: Malcolm isn’t giving me anything. He has no POV and appears cocky. Michelle isn't t watchable to me although it appears she can cook. I guess I’m one of the few who likes Nikki. But what was she thinking with the green smoothie? Most kids under the age of five scrunch up their faces even looking at green food much less tasting it.

Team Alton: Alton is right when he says Martie is a natural in talking to the camera. I have to give her that. Judson needed more time to get it right but it was not to be. Emily is best described as quirky but likable.Justin appears to be able to cook but he failed in the Guy camera challenge big time and sardine bones? They could have used those as a swizzle stick in Nikki’s smoothie and the kids would have run screaming from the room.

Team Giada: Linkie is charming and I love her accent. I would watch a show on desserts with her as the host. Martita is compelling. I like Ippy’s laid back attitude. Just need to see more of his food. Not sure about Yvan. I have not gotten a feel for him yet other than he has a nice smile.

7. bobby_fillet says:

It's well documented that in the finale there is one person from each team. So you just need to figure out who are the weakest on each team. When it gets down to 4 contestants we know which team is going to give up a player. That will be a no brainer.

8. LHSSC says:

I was sorry to see Judson go. His POV, that healthy food can be delicious, is one that needs to be presented. I'm sick of recipes that use artificial sweeteners (I'm allergic) and various 'tricks' to make food palatable. What's wrong with preparing REAL food with REAL ingredients in a way that brings out their natural goodness
    Judson's problem was that when he presented his dishes, he couldn't seem to make it sound natural and friendly, like a neighbor who is a great cook sharing his or her tricks of the trade.
    Too bad.

9. jerseygirl says:

I just don't know what will happen next but I hope that Martie is the one that goes home if the network wants to save face. Right now I'm liking Martita and Justin both. Justin still leaves much to be desired as far as his personality and people skills. Martita is sweet and funny and just would be perfect in any show they give her but I hope she gives us a little more of that person we saw in the casting episode. I think Giada should be more proactive in coaching her team. I like Alton but, he's just not a good mentor.

• Frank Demeo says:

Okay, I get the anti-Martie bandwagon. I get it but, don't forget that people are eliminated based on their performance for THAT week! At least that's what they tell us, right? Not that Martie was strong in the last episode but I think Judson had it coming. I don't think any of you have to worry about Martie winning so, its just a matter of time. Calling for her head on a platter is not really needed anymore since every other comment is about Martie needing to go. Know what I mean?

• Food Fan says:

I agree. The Martie-bashing has run its course. However...brace yourself....if....
        ...just suppose....that tonight.....two others (not Martie) are on the bottom and go into the pitch room. Who else might it be? What if it wasnt Martie at all this time and two others instead? Which two?
        If that happens, will there be howls of protest, or, will Martie show surprising improvement from the Mentoring and someone else will fall flat?

• Frank Demeo says:

Heh...if Martie stays for another week, it will definitely make for interesting reading around here! :-P

• JLF says:

I think there's a strong chance that she will stay safe if the elimination goes with team immunity again. Not likely to see Alton's team on the bottom for a second week with Giada's team still with 4 left.

10. Karen says:

I had to watch the end of last weeks' show tonight because it interfered with something else. They chose to send Judson home over chatty Martie? I don't think I can watch this show ever again. I don't like either of the judges and I find them to be full of it. Take that however you wish to.... Not a fan of foodnetwork anymore.