Team Bobby Falls to Three

by in Food Network Star, June 5, 2012

When it came down to Eric Lee and Ippy Aiona in the Producers' Challenge, Bob and Susie said it was one of the toughest decisions they'd ever faced in eight seasons of Star. Both talented chefs consistently impressed everyone with their food, but struggled to find a sweet spot on camera. In the end, Team Bobby's Eric was the one to say goodbye.

Eric left the pitch room with the same humble, gracious attitude he maintained throughout the competition. "I just want to thank you for the opportunity to work with Bobby," he told the judges. "It is just incredible how great of a mentor he is." Bobby, in turn, had high praise for his mentee: "Eric may be the best cook in the entire competition."

Hear more from Bobby, Susie and Eric in his exclusive exit interview. Do you think Eric deserved to go home?

Flip through Eric’s Star Scrapbook and more behind-the-scenes photos from Episode Four.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Sandy says:

Oh well...according to the previews, looks like Martie and Judson are crying on each others shoulders...are they the bottom 2 next week? Or is this clever editing?

• JLF says:

They're on the same team, so unless they handle the elimination differently than before, they won't be the bottom 2.

• Sandy says:

You're right JLF ----I thought I heard Martie say "I can't take this." Judson seems like a very sensitive guy who could cry also if someone else was crying that he really liked. So maybe he was consoling her & crying for her. Who knows. I sure like Martie & Judson. But I think Martie is ready to leave.

Bobby only has 3 folks left...Geez, he can't afford to lose ANY next week.

• Sandy says:

My mistake about Marti & Judson crying on each others shoulders in episode next week. It appears she is crying on Alton's shoulders. Kinda sad.

2. Sandy says:

Out of Giada's 4 left....I think Bob & Susie will remove Yvan & possibly Ippy.
    Remaining 2 - Linky & Martita.

Out of Bobbys 3 left..I think Bob & Susie will remove Michelle & eventually Malcolm.
    Remaining 1 - Nikki.

Out of Altons 4 left.. I think Bob & Susie will remove Marti & Judson.
    Remaining 2 - Emily & Justin.

3. T.S says:

Bad decision what were they thinking putting Eric against Ippy imo its too early to put strong candidates like them against each other, there are so many weak links starting with annoying Marty, crybaby Judson, tattoed chick who was already in Chopped previously, Ivan, Linkie, Martita, Malcolm these guys I dont find them to be interesting. In the finals should've been Peter Pan, 50's chick, Ippy and Eric.

• Frank Demeo says:

But then with choices like yours, its no wonder you aren't a successful television producer/ B-) You think cooking chops are the only important thing when we're talking about TV stars. Maybe you should be less pretentious and more realistic.

• B-Girl says:

Maybe you could phrase your comments in a smoother way - to get your point across without sounding combative and insulting...

4. Phineus says:

Martie is someone whom I would like to have living next door. She's personable, outgoing, and has a gentle and likeable personality. She seems like she would be a good friend.

However, I don't think she is right for this competition. I really don't see her as a Food Network Star. You can kind of tell that she is beginning to feel the same way, as well. Martie will likely not last much longer in the competition, but I wish her well.

5. Food Fan says:

She is personable and she'd be someone I would like in the neighborhood.
    2 other things, though:
    A) What makes you think she is "beginning to feel the same way" ? Perhaps I've missed something.
    B) While I believe others are doing better at this point...it leads right into the question: what about improving and growing?
    This is not meant s any sort of "attack", more like me just thinking out loud. You can agree or disagree. I always like to get opinions and why and am willing to do so myself...and so i say: it appears that quite a few posters on here feel like: if someone is rocking the house with their cooking now, they always will from here on. But we dont know that. Some others act like if anyone has some struggling with presentation, its over and they'll always be bad at it. Not true! Things can change.
    A leading person may fall. Will they make a comeback, or fade away. Will someone near the near the bottom get with it and really take off? or, will someone be hot and there's hardly any stopping them? While it is better if someone is consistently wonderful, people can also show growth and get even better. I welcome all thoughts on this.

• Phineus says:

Fair enough. I think Martie is beginning to feel that she isn't right for this competition because of her confidence level. She does not exude confidence. (However, she does handle criticism from Alton very well!) Her facial expressions display a bit of the deer-in-the-headlights level of fear. You can tell by her body language that she feels out of her league...and her earlier apologies for her age confirm that. She may not mention her age aloud anymore, but you can be sure that she is still thinking about it.

Can she improve and grow? Maybe, maybe not. Right now, she is her own obstacle.

• Becky in 'Bama says:

Phineus/Food Fan: I have watched every episode of every Food Network Star since its inception - over however many years it has been. FN can downplay their favorite contestant simply for the sake of programming. Kind of like 'sandbagging' at cards, poker face, etc.. Why reveal your best cards at the beginning of the game! I have been amazed at how much better the winners came across on their own program once they were the solo performer (Aarti is a delightful show hostess). When Big Daddy won (blanking his name), I felt like I was just seeing him. His food looked yummy. Things are not always as they appear. :D

6. Liz says:

You could make the argument that it was too soon for Eric to go, but really I couldn't have seen him make it too much further, he would have gone at some point in the coming weeks given the competition.

The strangest thing was the Ippy was picked from Giada's team. Yvan and Linkie both really blew it, much more than Ippy.

7. blmjnm04 says:

I believe that Eric was way better in his presentation then Ippy did. I mean seriously chewing all through the entire challenge compared to listing ingredients! The choice was simple. But, both of them shouldn't have been on the bottom in the first place.
    I also think that Yvan's presentation was a little overboard, but isn't that what Susie and Bob asked him to do?

• Cheryl says:

I felt the same way re: Ippy's chewing. Eliminating him after that french toast challenge should have been a no-brainer. Why did they bother doing that challenge? The judges had already chosen who they were going to send home. That said, I do feel like Eric made up the story about his mother serving him french toast for Valentine's Day. A little "selling himself out" to play the game, but it didn't work.

• blmjnm04 says:

I agree. Well there's nothing we can do now, but if they do something like that again I doubt I'll want to watch the show anymore.

8. FanFare57 says:

Testing: Eric was robbed. This is a test. On the other page, my post is deleted. Not sure why.

• Frank Demeo says:

Maybe because your statement is full of crap? He was robbed? Seriously? Even HE said that he sùcked. He apologized in advance before a decision was even rendered.

I'll just assume that your comment was also just a test and not your actual thoughts.

• FanFare57 says:

To Frank Demeo - Regarding your obnoxious response: FRANKLY, FRANK - I don't give a damn. The FN administrator contacted me to let know there was glitch on the other thread which has now been resolved. Without knowing what I wrote there or was thinking, your brainless comment lacks merit.

• Sandy says:

FanFare57...Think maybe we got new adminstrators sitting in the control seat still trying to learn the job? Really! I see comments disappear & reappear.

• Jerilee says:

I have had a comment deleted. I, and another "regular" poster have had several comments not accepted. Why? We have no idea. Other posts were far worse than what we had to say. Eric should not have been eliminated, even though he admitted his dish wasn't his best. I don't really believe he should have been on the bottom. His cooking skill is good. I do have to admit his camera presence needs work, but so does some of the others. Perhaps Eric's skilled enough for a show anyway...it's happened to others that have been eliminated.

• FanFare57 says:

Thanks for your comment, Jerilee. I thought Eric said his presentation was poor, but he was satisfied with his fish sticks. Bob Tuschman raved about the dish.

9. FanFare57 says:

Susie's shoes are unimportant. We can't see them because she is sitting. She could choose to wear no shoes. Plain and simple. What's wrong with you?

10. Sandy says:

Anyone notice that last week the judges would sometimes ask the contestants, "How do you think you did?" BEFORE the judge/s would give their feedback to the person. I think this was their new tone down method to let it come out of the contestants mouth re: their performance (good or bad) & prevent the judges from possibly perceived harsh responses. Maybe because of Alton's remark to Marti on the Chopped portion of FNS on the prior week & some of the feedback re: it. (the remark which i feel helped bring her bring her back to earth as she was starting to go off on a ramble session nevertheless I do like Marti very much).

• Food Fan says:

It does get one thinking. I really dont know why they would do it that way. Maybe it is in response to Alton & Marty.
      Since Marty took so much heat over earlier things, I am waiting to see what she does with the feedback. Suppose she becomes more concise and knocks-it-out-of-the-park with her nexr dish? Would anyone change their mind?
      Suppose someone else overcame their former difficulties. Would people change their mind about anyone else? I ask this simply to "throw it out there" and consider....when we get an impression of someone (which we already have of them from the episodes so far).....do we "freeze" people into that perception..i.e...thats how they are and they always will be.....or, can our 1st impressions become different? (I'm not judging anyone, just asking an armchair speculating question. For me, they are fun. And wondering about different ways it all might play-out.)
      To add another question: what if our favorite person just "royally bombed" in the next 2 challenges in a row? Would you (that's you meaning any of us at large) dump them and root for someone else? or would you stay with 'em to the end, hoping against hope for them to make a comeback?
      Anything can happen. But I love to think about different scenarios and watch it all play out. Next challenge, each team will host a Live show. This should be a good one to watch. :)