Team Bobby Falls to Three

by in Food Network Star, June 5, 2012

When it came down to Eric Lee and Ippy Aiona in the Producers' Challenge, Bob and Susie said it was one of the toughest decisions they'd ever faced in eight seasons of Star. Both talented chefs consistently impressed everyone with their food, but struggled to find a sweet spot on camera. In the end, Team Bobby's Eric was the one to say goodbye.

Eric left the pitch room with the same humble, gracious attitude he maintained throughout the competition. "I just want to thank you for the opportunity to work with Bobby," he told the judges. "It is just incredible how great of a mentor he is." Bobby, in turn, had high praise for his mentee: "Eric may be the best cook in the entire competition."

Hear more from Bobby, Susie and Eric in his exclusive exit interview. Do you think Eric deserved to go home?

Flip through Eric’s Star Scrapbook and more behind-the-scenes photos from Episode Four.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Greg says:

It is ridiculous that Eric had to go. There are plenty of other less talented and not very interesting people on the show that should have gone before Eric.

• Susan says:

Bobby was right when he described Eric as the best chef this season. And the judges loved his dish!

• Food Fan says:

I am glad they kept Ippy!
        But---it should NOT have been those two on the bottom in the first place!
        It should have been some others.

• Parris says:

I agree. Eric has a great pov and his personality was friendly and energetic. Although not great in front of the camera, who there is? His cooking was great and he was obviously smart with his food. Others are saying he had a dull personality. Ippy was better????? He is way too dull and layers back for a cooking show. They made the wrong decision. I don't like this whole team thing. Others who are far worse are being saved by the rest of the team. Also, the team leaders are helping them way too much for the sake of winning for themselves. Let the chefs cook on their own. Bring Eric back.

• I completely agree with you. Ippy continues to say where he is from but has not shown anyone what that means. Eric is bringing back an approach to food that has been lost for many generations. I know few who cook from scratch and understand what that means. I wanted to see more of his hand crafted food. How is it that the network can't see this as a draw?

• FanFare57 says:

Greg, I completely agree with you. Eric's fish sticks were great (as stated by Tuschy). His food should have kept him in (especially when both Marti and Judson's food were less than stellar).

2. Food Fan says:

At the time it happened, I feel it woulda made alot more sense to have, say, Judson and Martie be on the bottom 2.
    Eric could cook! I would have liked to see more of what he could do with fresh ingredients from scratch.
    His presentation was lacking, But as Bobby has said: If you can cook, I can teach you on camera (to that effect). Its even better if someone has a strong knack at both--but I will say in my opinion: Food 1st.
    To use a very extreme example (just to drive home the point)--suppose we had some lingerie super-model who made thousands of viewers watch, but who only tell us how to make a so-so plate of Mac & cheese? It wouldnt last.
    Eric's presentation could have improved. there are others who should have gone before him who dont have the cooking ability.

• Bob Toren says:

I want to hear more about this super-model making mac n cheese!
      j/k :)

• Vinny says:

What times does the mac n' cheese show start? I need to make space on the DVR. And why don't you have a job pitching ideas to the FN? :-D

• Food Fan says:

hehehehe...ahhh, yer too kind. Thanks.
        (I could always use a better-paying job, though). ;)

• Sheri S says:

At the time it happened, I feel it would have made a lot more sense, too. Perhaps the interesting cooks, like Eric and Josh, can get jobs on the Cooking Channel.

3. Rob says:

Absolutely the wrong decision. Send the best chef home? Bob. . Susie. . .you made a bad call.

4. [...] post: Team Bobby Falls to Three This entry was posted in Food Network and tagged bobby, great, ippy, lee, mentor, scrapbook, [...]

5. zhs says:

This "team challenge" thing is allowing a pass for clear losers of the week. Each week, its seems, an obvious member of the bottom two is saved by his/her team. With this in mind, we could have a scenario where half of the remaining top six are the worst contestants. Wrong way to do it.

6. jessica says:

i did NOT like eric at all. im glad he went

7. Rueben says:

It was almost like since Giada lost a team member last week the powers that be didn't want her to lose a team member two weeks consecutively. That's not right! I am disappointed that Eric had to go. Susie talked about seeing raw talent in Ippy, but I saw it in Eric too. I think the "producers" think that Ippy's appeal was greater than Eric's.

• Carolyn says:

Did you see the look she gave the judges right before they sent them out so they could talk about the two chefs.

8. Tammi says:

Though i didn't HATE Eric, i was glad he went home. His personality was as dull as shepard's pie. (If you've read Aarti's blog you get my pun.)

9. Amy says:

I am very disappointed in general at the way the Judges are handling this season. Eric was clearly one of the best chefs that has ever been on the show, and it is a tragedy he went home as early as he did! I also think Nikki is great. I don't get where the judges say she is scripted... I think she is fun, spirited, and eloquent when talking about food.

10. Phineus says:

I think Judson should go for claiming that "Great cuisine plus exquisite Fashion equals Love" is his mantra. That was such a transparent lie, he should be tossed out the door.