Team Alton Cracks the Top Three: Your Week Two Picks Revealed

by in Food Network Star, May 29, 2012

Our week two Fan Vote tally is in, and Team Giada's Martita Jara and Ippy Aiona continue to duke it out for first place. Martita regained her preseason lead this week with 24% of your votes, while Ippy stayed strong at 21%. But this week, Team Giada's sweep of the top three was broken as Team Alton's Emily Ellyn claimed third place with 11% of the vote.

Will Team Alton keep gaining momentum after their "unofficial" win in the Chopped desserts challenge?

The in-season Fan Vote resets each week, so make sure to cast your vote for your favorite finalist up to 10 times per day.

Check out the complete list of Week Two Fan Vote results:

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. SGO says:

Here's my beef:
    If you're going to complain and whine and insult during the interview portion *coughcoughJustincoughcough*
    then you're lacking the key component to being a Food Network star: SINCERITY.
    Ippy and Yvan are always upbeat and genuine, which is why they trump Judson and Justin and Nikki. You can polish these people all you want, but the fact of the matter is that most aren't meant to do this. Plenty of dud past seasons prove that. If you aren't naturally heartening, that's fine, that's cool, but it's not what the FN family is about and its not what the viewers want. It's why Penny was finally axed last season. Underhanded people do not a network make.

• Guest says:

Justin bothers me. I can't really explain why, but he does. There's just something about him that bugs me.

• maria says:

They liked Penny - she was on the Chopped Champions-for $ 50,000. I was surprised to see her but there she was cooking and competing.

2. Joel says:

Thoughts so far on the contestants...

Martita is definitely a fun personality and attractive, which surely carries her far. But I haven't yet been convinced that she is a better representative of mexican cooking than Susie was last season, who seemed to only make delicious food the judges always raved about, and had a really moving personal story.

Ippy surely has the entire island of Hawaii's vote every day, and is ridiculously likable. Just with that he's going to be hard to beat in a vote that is determined by the audience. He seems like a front runner that is not going anywhere.

Linkie is also really likable. She seems to have managed to only make desserts 3 weeks into the show, and that is really fortunate for her. She can have a dessert only show and they can work well, but are much more limited in scope, and I think that makes her a harder sell for the judges.

At this point I'm all about Emily. She has been dead on point every time she has opened her mouth, save for the moment of motion sickness, and up until that point in the episode, she had a great story working for matzos, of all things. Her food has looked brilliant at every turn, as she finds ways to make classics accessible and surprising. I'm a little concerned about her boxing herself into the 50s, as I think she can sell herself much better without that narrow of a box.

The others have strong points and weak points, but the four of them seem to be set as front runners.

• Athena says:

Emily's the best!!!

• Vinny says:

I tried to like her but if all she has to go in is the "retro" schtick, then she needs to go. It is already old and repetitive. Ippy, Martita and Linkie will probably duke it out in the end. Eric Lee would be the best qualified but least likely choice.

• Food Fan says:

Doesnt Linkie have a degree in Culinary Arts? I'm betting she can do much more than dessert but hasnt had much of a chance to show us yet. Pretty eyes.
      Ippy is likeable right from the start. I hope has has enough range and variety of dishes to keep us interested.
      Martita can cook. Good energy. I dont know that any cook needs to outdo someone from last year. Just do better than the other contestants this year.
      Emily was doing a nice presentation on the bus til she got carsick.
      Then again, past seasons have shown someone coming-from-behind and surprising us. Its early, and even front-runners will need to keep being consistent and have much more "hot" nights than bad ones. Still thinkin' about it. Now that the chopped challenge is over, I wanna see what the contestants do next.

• Joel says:

Good thoughts, FF. I don't remember if Linkie has a degree or not, but you may be right, and I'd really like to see her do well at savory food. If she does, she has a really strong chance at this.

And I think you may be right about Martita - it may be that she has better timing than Susie, and that she outshines the rest of the group.

And I would love to see someone come up strong and surprise us. There is definitely potential here. I'm definitely enjoying this season, and am interested to see if the show will be willing to cut an entire team while multiple on others remain. If not, that could change everything.

• Food Fan says:

ooooh! You gave me an idea.
          Just suppose....that somneone entire team *did* get elimiated. Kinda early. Like when there are still 4 or maybe even 5 contenders left. Would whatever mentor blow a fuse? It'd be interesting to see how they handled it.

• Nancy says:

Linke does have a Culinary Arts Degree. She also has lots of experience. She worked for a caterer while in college.

• Nancy says:

I agree, Linkie could have a dessert only show. She is as likable in person, as she is on T.V. I have known her for several years.

3. Joel says:

Oh, and the integrity of this new format depends on if the judges are willing to eliminate an entire team with many other contestants remaining. Bobby's team is clearly the least favorite of the fans. But if one from each team "manages" to make it through all the way, that changes everything. Then we'll know this is more about Bobby, Giada, and Alton than the actual Next Food Network Star.

4. Rueben says:

I agree! This site is messed up! I click to read replies and it takes me to the top of the page. What is the deal with that???

5. Tammy Fanner says:

Alton is nuts he who dresses him who wears a bow tie and his food is not good enough for the tude he needs to keep on the comercials and his kawasaki
    he's not good enough to be a chef/judge in anything

• FSP says:

maybe in your free time, instead of hating bowties, learn english grammar, but that's up to you. it'd most likely be highly appreciated.

6. fn fan says:

I enjoy this show and the new format very much. I am impressed by the cooking of Eric, Justin and Emily so far.
    But...............................What we actually see each week as it is edited and shown can only be described as hilarious. Justin was a complete hot mess with burned chocolate, microwave mania and traumatic clouds of powdered sugar for 29 minutes. He then allegedly turned in one of the tastiest, prettiest morsels. I also think Michele being spooked by Giada is a contrived, edited plot line. Silly. Just tell the tell.

7. Food Fan says:

How interesting! 3 similar names.

I--and Food Fan. (just that). Its the only name I'm using this year.

You--are fn fan
    Someone else is Food Network Fan.
    Any others? (I had no idea this was gonna happen). I hope people dont mix us up.
    Oh well...carry on!

8. Food Fan says:

oops..i AM Food Fan. (sigh).

9. Bela says:

I don't watch Alton unless I must, and I love "Next Food Network Star" sooooooo I must watch him BUT I hate his personality...he is rude, he has this entitlement among others , he has no deameaning qualities to his personality...he was so rude this week when he yelled his comments , I was appalled . He has no right to speak to his group the way he does or to anyone else, I'm so over him , its not even funny, and btw he is'nt funny, but he sure thinks he is.....I sure don't get why foodnetwork has him on so much , but please STOP!!!!
    He isn't funny anymore people he is rude !!!!!!!

10. Kelly says:

I want to know what brand Emily's glasses are. They are so cute. If you need to wear glasses you might as well be stylish!!! I love them. She is great too.