Team Giada Remains on Top: Your Week One Picks Revealed

by in Food Network Star, May 21, 2012

philip ippy aiona
The first week vote tally is in, and Team Giada has once again swept the top three spots of the Star Fan Vote. Laid-back Ippy Aiona took Martita Jara's first place spot this week with 21% of the vote. Still in the top three — but down 2% from last week was Martita — followed by Linkie Marais at 13%.

Team Giada had something to brag about this week as they took home their first win. Alton must be feeling the pressure, having been in the bottom two the first two weeks in a row. After coming off a win in the first episode, Team Bobby needs to regroup for week three as the finalists face one of their toughest challenges yet: a Chopped basket.

Why haven't we seen any members from Team Bobby or Team Alton in the top spots yet?

The in-season Fan Vote resets each week, so make sure to cast your vote for your favorite finalist up to 10 times per day.

Caption It: Cha-Ching

Last week Food Network Star finalists embraced one of the most-faced aspects of Las Vegas — an over-the-top party scene — as they hosted a poolsid...

1. Lanie says:

Anyone else have to fast forward through some of their presentations on the bus? OMG it was uncomfortable to watch. It seems like a lot to throw at them so early...most of them need WAY more coaching before they can present their food in that type of setting.

• vert2013 says:

yeah some of them were painful to watch but they usually are at this stage in the competition. Remember when Aaron was on a few years ago? He didn't get his act together until the last 2 weeks and he won. Give them some time.

• beachinfrizzy says:

I wanted to fast forward because there are just. too. many. contestants and it got monotonous.

• FanFare57 says:

Yes, I agree with you. Many of the presentations were beyond flawed. They were awful. Either the speeches were too long, too pointless or lacked confidence.

• Jerilee says:

Give credit, FanFare57. Some were not so bad. Granted they all need work. But some weren't as bad as others.

• FanFare57 says:

Hiya Jerilee, I said "many" not "all". Of course "some were not as bad as others". That's hardly an endorsement of the entire group. (I stand by my comment as stated.)

2. BooRad0859 says:

If Ippy wins, I recommend that his show be entitled "Ippy Ha-Wai-Yay!"

• FanFare57 says:

That's very cute. I think Ippy looks like a big cuddly teddy bear. He has a "glow" of happiness when he cooks and presents.

3. Mozzi says:

Okay, did anybody notice how Yvan totally helped Linkie redeem herself by giving her the idea to use Ricotta cheese when she freaked out about not having enough cream cheese ? And she gives him no credit? I am so disappointed. If people cannot give credit where it is due, I lose all respect. She had my vote, but claiming the ricotta was her idea, just made it official that I will not vote for her again. She could have at least given him a shout out on the bus and thanked him. HATS OF YVAN. YOU TOTALLY STOLE ALL MY VOTES.

• Jerilee says:

Giada also told her she should have more ricotta than cream cheese.

• Guest says:

I thought at this point it is still a team effort? So wouldn't you think that team members would help each other in order to be safe from elimination?

• Mozzi says:

That's the whole point, Guest. I am just pissed that he didn't get ANY credit for helping a team mate. She claimed she came up with the whole Ricotta idea. NOT TRUE. Yvn was the one that totally gave her the idea. My point is not team mates helping out, but getting credited. Not one who rides on the others' back.

• Mate says:

Hey Mozzi, where did you see that she claimed she came up with the Ricotta idea? I did not see this anywhere. It s in any case not good taste to use this kind of language on a public forum. If you do not like something, use less offensive words.

• MOZZI says:

Mate, when they were in the kitchen, Linkie could only find 3 packets of cream cheese. Not enough for what she needed. She was in a complete frenzy. She and Yvan were behind some racks in the kitchen. The camera shows her talking to him telling him she cant find enough cream cheese . She then asks Yvan what can she use and he tells her to use ricotta. So, it was not her idea. By naming her cheese cake the ricotta thing and saying on the bus that she decided to make the ricotta cheesecake, she is really claiming it was her idea. It is implied, not said. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

• ksponar says:

The thing is that they kinda have to make themselves look good.

If she said "I sed ricoota under Yvan's advice", than some people would think less of her because she can't cook for herself.

That's probably one of the reasons Kara or whatever her name is is now gone, because she had to use recipes from her MOM.

I'm sure she thanked him after the bus trip was done.

• Jetta says:

By your rules then Yvan should have been held accountable for Josh not having eggs for his soup the week before.

• mozzi says:

At least Josh didn't blame his failure on Yvan. Not quite the same thing, Jetta. Blaming someone for your demise and crediting someone for your success? Polar opposites.

• Jetta says:

Not really, Why should he get credit for helping someone and not take the blame for bringing someone down?

• ksponar says:

Agreed. Is the exact same thing.

They're actions decides whether or not a person stays or goes.

• vert2013 says:

First off, you're getting really emotional about a reality TV show. 2nd, it was my understanding that Linkie was originally planning on using a cream cheese/ricotta mixture with more emphasis on cream cheese, but when there wasn't enought cream cheese she had to change it. Thus she was always planning on using ricotta, it wasn't totally Yvans idea. While yeah, he did suggest it, so did Giada, and it is a team effort.

• Jerilee says:

Wow!! All this drama. Did anyone think that maybe she did thank him, and if it was on camera, it is sitting on the cutting room floor? Maybe she thanked him in private. We don't see or hear everything that goes on while taping a show. Did you expect her to give him credit during her presentation? That's all I have to say about that!!!

• FanFare57 says:

It's Ricotta-Gate. Stop the presses!
        I'm surprised how flustered and unfamiliar Linkie seems to be in these first 2 challenges. How could a pastry chef not know cannolis? I wonder if her title is an over inflated title on her part. Pastry cooks may not be the best savory cooks. But, they should know about all things sweet.

4. Guest says:

While I thought the challenge was interesting, I can't help but wonder why Giada was allowed to have Little Italy. That seemed really stacked in her favor and not at all surprising that her team won. My respect for Alton and Bobby increases, they both seem to be good coaches. I think Giada's team was not very sporting with the fist pump and over celebrating. Once again, it is obvious Josh does not belong in this competition. At this point, there are several possible winners. It really is a nice group compared to last year's cats and dogs.

• BxQuilter says:

Giada getting Little Italy was a bit of an advantage for her team but I think the more interesting question is why didn't the show mention that Arthur Avenue is in the Bronx? In the opening they said they were going to iconic ethnic areas "in Manhattan" so when they mentioned Arthur Avenue I was waiting to see where exactly Arthur Avenue is in Manhattan. The bus shots during that leg were kept pretty tight but I am pretty sure I saw a street sign from a block in the area. They seemed to take great pains in not saying the word Bronx at any point and to not note that the food world doesn't begin and end on Manhattan island. Hmmm, I wonder how Boro President Diaz feels about that?

5. beachinfrizzy says:

They absolutely should have had a double...or even triple elimination (Josh's pathetic pile of peppers and his ridiculous story-to-nowhere was just as bad as the bottom 2...he was totally saved by the smiley charisma of his Giada-mates). That said both Judson and Kara deserved to go, they both had stank attitudes about their assignments... Kara's "I don't do chicken on the bone" "I'm not into waffles I like pancakes" - what are you, a 5 year old? And Judson came off as such a phoney-baloney even though I admit I wouldn't be excited about pickles when other people were getting a whole deli or bakery worth of inspiration and choices, either. Glad Emily's seasickness wasn't held against her...I get queasy on buses too.

• Food Fan says:

Its early. My opinions are still forming. Barely even getting 1st impressions. And those, may change.
      That said--I'm becoming a little curious about Emily. Was her food good?
      I cant say I'm too wild about the shape/style of those glasses she wears--however--didnt she give a good presentation? As a person, she seemed quite likable. Did she make good food? Still watching. It takes more than just one good night. That goes for all of the contestants.
      The one who repeatedly "bomb", should go. For example, last season, Vic Vegas was "forgiven" just too many times. Hope that doesnt happen this year. On the other hand, some contestants may take the judges advice and really learn and grow and show star qualities.

• beachinfrizzy says:

Yes her food was good - all the judges agreed her meatloaf captured the flavors and inspiration of the matzoh factory - but her presentation started well, but then when she felt sick it totally fell apart and got choppy and awkward and the judges were really down on her...fortunately Alton asked her about it (away from the other judges) and she had a chance to explain that she had become physically ill and that's why her mind went blank. We didn't see Alton passing this along to the others but her must have clued them in.

• Food Fan says:

Car sickness I can overlook. Would like to see more of what she might do.
          There will likely be 3 or 4 others who will emerge and show real promise. Will be interesting to see this all unfold.

• Lainer says:

I agree with you - great point that at least a double and even triple elimination should have occurred. It certainly makes sense to me!

6. markohio says:

The new format is interesting, to say the least. My only negative comment about it is when the stars are mentoring their team members, they are also guiding their cooking and giving suggestions there as well. I think the mentors' roles should be limited to helping them with their on-air performances (and in front of people), and let them be on their own with cooking. In each of the first two installments, but especially the second, there were instances of the mentors helping their team members with their dishes.
    I have enjoyed the challenges so far. In contests such as this, you have to keep the challenges original and entertaining, and so far, so good. I also like how they take the bottom 2, and let them each compete for the right to stay in the competition; it gives the judges a final 'look' to ensure they remove the correct one for that week's competition.

As far as the competitors go, the correct ones were let go in the first two weeks. Others that are probably on the brink of going, in my opinion, unless they do a complete 180, are Josh (all hype), Linkie (not sure how much depth there is…she is a pastry chef, yet her lime pie was termed “cafeteria”), and Martie (not sure she can keep up, and she tends to ramble).
    Some of the competitors that I think could be around for awhile are Eric, Emily (very memorable), Martita (a lot of potential) , Malcolm, Ippy (interesting background..Hawaiian and Italian), and possibly Michele (great cook, so far).

7. Cupcake says:

Mozzi, you sound like someone that that has some insider information. How else would you know if she gave Ivan credit or not. Is it possible that you tried your luck with this girl and that you are disappointed that she did not follow your way and now you try to make her look bad? Shame on you!

• Mozzi says:

Nope, she is not my type. Don't put that spin on this. The old boy slighted thing doesn't work here, so shame on yrou for playing the sexism card. You are probably her sister or mother.... If she credited Yvan, it should have been aired. Fortunate thing the FoodNetwork execs watch the show and will see how Yvan was the one that gave her the idea. No inside info here. Just an observation.

• Cupcake says:

You contaminate this blog with your nasty comments and you clearly have some kind of vendetta against this girl. This is about FOOD, if you noticed. If you followed her casting video, you would have noticed she was cooking for her husband. Sorry dude, no personal connection and no sexist ideas. "Just an observation": you came in to target this girl and it seems you have some kind of agenda here. Do you have anything intellectual to contribute to this blog?

• Teachmetocook says:

Outsider look at this. You both are making this too close to home.

It is, in fact, a team challenge. And while it would have been a nice gesture for Linkie to credit Yvan for inspiring her, bottom line it is an individual competition and she has to look out for herself. Yvan is proving to be a great team player, as well as linkie.

You both are shedding negativity on both of them which i find completely unneccesary. Stop fighting and and bringing them both down and just let them cook.

• cheeky says:

Do you watch reality shows often? They show what they want to show and not what you want them to show. Is it possible that she gave him credit, but they decided not to air it. Grow up man.

• Chicka says:

Dude, seriously? Trying to solve world problems with a cooking show?

8. Food Fan says:

Does anybody know?....
    Sorry to ask this here but I did try to look for it 1st...

Some people on here....you can click on their online name and it is displayed in Blue, not black. Next to their online name, it might say something like "84p" and that is highlighted in yellow. You can also click on some of these people's names and "follow" them. Questions:
    1. what does the 84p (example) mean? and...
    2. How does one get themselves set up for all these capabilities. Is this for the people who were here last year and are keeping the same online name? or is it something else? Any info appreciated. Thanks. I didnt see a FAQ or Help section on here for these kinds of things.

• Pat D. says:

I think the "p" means "positive" in "84p" as in the number of times people have given a particular poster's entry the little thumbs up icon (across from a poster's screen name).
      It's a thing the forum does, from what I can see.

9. vert2013 says:

It's offensive to have someone like you on this planet.

10. Rueben says:

I like Ippy!

• beachinfrizzy says:

Yeah he's a cutie and he represents a POV that I don't believe is already covered on FN...Hawaiian/Polynesian with his Italian side thrown into the mix... now we will see if he has the skills and personality to make it happen!