Poll: Who Should Go Home on Sunday?

by in Food Network Star, May 17, 2012

Fourteen finalists remain in contention to become the next Food Network Star. This Sunday night, when the three teams board buses to lead New York food tours, which two will end up on the bottom? Who will get a second chance after the Producers' Challenge, and who will pack their bags to head home?

Play our Who's Your Star? game to make all of these predictions and earn trophies (and bragging rights with your friends) for correct ones.

Over on the Fan Vote, you're picking your favorite finalist each week — and hopefully voting for him or her 10 times per day. But Star fans always have their least favorites, too. Who, in your opinion, doesn't have the chops to be a Food Network star? Which finalist do you want to see go home next?

Cast your vote here (and please keep the comments considerate).

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Adina says:

Hi Sarah! I love reading your blog!!
    I am a fifth grader in Scarsdale, NY. I'm studying Chopped for my Capstone Project. Capstone is big, detailed independent research project. I chose Chopped because when I watched it for the first time I couldn’t stop watching it, it is fun to watch and see what is in the basket and what the chefs are going to do with the ingredients and if they are going to finish or not. The show helps me learn how to manage my time and learn new and weird recipes. I was wondering if you could send me some information about Chopped? I have to demonstrate that I am an expert on my topic and I need multiple resources to gather information from. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide! Maybe you have an email address that would be a better way to contact you?

Adina

• @YvanBoom says:

Hi Adina!

Yvan here, I was a contestant on Chopped. If you look at a "prickly situation" I competed with sea urchin as one of the ingredients. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help. Maybe you can compete on chopped one day? My little sister is part of a program called teen iron chef, look into it maybe you'd like it.

• happyguest says:

Hey, Yvan, Great that you replied to Adina and I wish her well with her project. But Yvan, shouldn't you be careful in replying to the blog, in case you mistakenly give a hint as to what happened to you? I mean, a hint would be good, but for the sake of the series????? Good luck to you, whatever happened to you in the series!

2. JLF says:

Why on earth do you want us to predict the elimination before we see the show? Any votes will only be based on (1) last week's performance, and that's moot at this point, and (2) popularity as opposed to skill. And we don't even know the contestants well enough to have a good popularity contest. Bad idea.

• Guest says:

Considering Giada's whole team is geared toward popularity (there isn't a serious cook among them) I'd say popularity must be a valid reason to vote. Frankly, if I want to see some Bubbly Waitperson type, I'll go to a trendy restaurant rather than tune into a FoodNetwork show.

• A. Kotto says:

Boooooooooooooo Guest. You don't have to go to culinary school to be a great cook. Almost all people watching the FN did NOT go to culinary school and will want techniques and recipes using ingredients and equipment they have at home already. What I'm looking for as a viewer is someone who is fun to watch and has an interesting POV. You might be all uppity and rude but that doesn't mean most of America is.

• Guest says:

Please consider your malignment of competent and hard working individuals who have reached a level of accomplishment apparently much higher than your armchair height. There is at least one "serious cook" on the team who has been culinarily trained, has worked for many years as a chef in reputable cooking establishments, authored cookbooks with great reviews, and has a commercial internet food enterprise, not to mention great charismatic tv and internet presence. Do your homework better next time.

• vert2013 says:

It IS partly a popularity contest. The network has to have someone that people will watch. While there food does need to be good, their personality is equally as important.

• Paloma says:

I AGREE.

3. [...] more: Poll: Who Should Go Home on Sunday? This entry was posted in Food Network and tagged bragging, considerate, food, fourteen, network, [...]

4. FanFare57 says:

Speaking only for myself, I'd like to give the show more time before I make any predictions. But, thanks for asking.

5. A. Kotto says:

There is a purpose behind this question. They are not asking who should win, they are asking who is the one person who you just can't stand. I won't say who I picked but I definitely know already who I don't like and don't want to see anymore.

• Kaye says:

I don't think we've had enough time to pick someone "we can't stand" but there are several people I know I would never watch their show; Justin, Michelle and Josh would never have me for a viewer. At least it doesn't look like there are any Pennys this year.

6. Deep Throat says:

The next person voted off must come from Giada's or Bobby's team. Alton's team gets a bye.

7. Athena says:

Emily apparently has an issue coming up this Sunday judging by the previews. This worries me because I am really pulling for her, Michele, and Ippy. :/

8. Vewrmonter says:

I'd like to see more serious people on the network as a whole. We get sick and tired of loudmouths like Guy Fieri (however he spells it) and others like him. We enjoy Alton Brown and Bobbie Flay, but not many others nowadays!

9. Jetta says:

I think Nikki is showing signs of being this seasons Penny. At least the arrogance is already there.

• MelissaKay says:

Agree 100%. She needs to go!

• Nadia says:

I totally agree. She is plain annoying and I'm not a fan of her attitude. She is a future Penny.

• MissCellanea says:

Agreed. Hard to say if she can cook, but I have a hunch that her arrogance is masking a complete and utter lack of food cred. She seems to have more of a passion for fame than food. Bob Tuschman kind of hinted at it in his comments after she presented her dish in the restaurant challenge. And my guess is she's the one Susie Fogelson is calling out in the previews when she says, "you've got a little of the b.s. artist in you." More than a little, I'd say.

• Terry Burton says:

Totally agree. And when she was eating that BBQ tonight, she was disgusting.

• Food Fan says:

Hmm. Its early and I dont know who I want to root for just yet.
        I want to leave open this possibility: Nikki *might* be as you say. However--*Any* contestant may get a criticism early-on and take it to heart and learn from it. We do get 1st impression from people, true. But, people can learn from mistakes or when light is shined on how they come across. People can correct themselves. We'll just hafta watch to see if it continues or not. Some people improve. I try not to think that someone "is that way, and always will be." I just watch. If it continues repeatedly, then yes. Last year, Penny persisted. But she didnt have to.
        I'm sure people are being told and coached on how they look and sound and the image they project on camera. told.
        I trust contestants are reading our comments on here (if they ever get time, ha ha). So, if she wants to win, she'll be mindful of how she comes across. Same with all contestants.

• Melissa Houle says:

Nikki hasn't shown anything close to Penny's hostility toward her fellow competitors yet, so far as I've seen. I don't feel like I know any of the contestants well enough, yet. I haven't felt "wowed" by anyone yet. But I don't feel like any of them are no-hopers, either.

Josh DEFINITELY needs to make his stories and jokes shorter and more to the point, though. I like Martie, but she needs to learn to speak succinctly, too. I like Emily, a lot. She's like a young, very cool Betty Crocker. And refreshingly, she's not a cheerleader.

• Food Fan says:

Its very early yet. After 2 more shows, it'll be more clear who's who.
      It usually becomes obvious and they end up hanging themselves.
      The 1st 2 episodes are raw nerves ( I know. All episodes are)--but people can sometimes redeem themselves after the very beginning. if they're really downright annoying, it'll usually persist. but I dont wanna "assign" anyone with it too early.

10. MelissaKay says:

I know it is too early to tell who I would vote for, but I can say that I am immediately turned off to Nikki. I do not like her arrogant attitude.

• Guest says:

I agree with you!

• Sleepergirl11 says:

Oh god thank you!! I agree. I also don't like the fact that her hair is right in the plates. She hasn't tied it back and I am sorry but that is just gross!!

• Food Fan says:

I missed the Bar-b-cue thing with her.
      And whatever she said. So you may be right.
      But suppose you are.
      And while I'm at it, about the guy that did the somerault.
      If we take Nikki, and him, and say we didnt like what they did...my question is this: So then, is it already over? We cant possibly forgive them? Couldnt they get better and we grow to like them more? Or, is it once a turn-off always a turn-off?
      What if they corrected themselves and learned from it and improved?
      PS---I'm not favoring anyone. I'm still undecided.