New Format and Chefs’ Takes — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, May 16, 2012

The eighth season of Food Network Star may have only just begun, but it is already off to an intense start. We know that you all had a lot to say about the jam-packed premiere episode, particularly in regards to the new style of Star and this season’s opponents. Fans Tweeted @FoodNetwork, left messages on our Facebook page and commented on our Star Talk blog to share initial reactions to and thoughts on the premiere.

During our premiere Twitter party, many fans told us they're pleased with the new mentoring aspect of the show and are excited to see how it impacts the competition, while others simply voiced their excitement about an extra Mother's Day present: two hours of Star!

Virginia stopped by the blog to comment: "I like the new format and agree with the several people who commented on the benefit of additional 'one-on-one' time with the mentors. It's also interesting and entertaining to see Alton, Bobby and Giada in these roles.”

Iaini70119 added that “it will be interesting to see the differences in the mentors’ coaching styles.”

The mentors themselves joined the Twitter party during Sunday night’s episode, each supporting his or her team and engaging in a little friendly competition:

Giada used Twitter to explain to fans her camera-focused Star strategy:

Now that you’ve seen the finalists in action and have gotten to know the mentors’ coaching styles, how do you think the remaining 14 contestants will fare in the competition? Which finalist can attain that coveted balance of over-the-top cooking chops and dynamic camera presence? Tell us in the comments below, join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook, and cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

Tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Jen says:

I really do not like the new format for the show this season!

2. AboveH2O says:

What a surprise -- one member from each team has now been eliminated. You know they're going to keep the teams even -- can't have it come down to the finals with just one team being represented. That's the problem with this new format.

• beachinfrizzy says:

Yes it sure is convenient that all the teams now have 4 members remaining, isn't it? But I think they made the right call. Josh's dish and his presentation were both a convoluted mess, and unlike Nikki and Martie he didn't show any improvement in his 'cook for your life' segment, so fine by me. And BTW did you know Josh was in a rock band? : ) I'll wait until the ep recap is up to weigh in on the others.

3. ph oh says:

PLEASE/!!!!!...NOT INA!
    And as for how Giada dresses...never noticed her boobs...dresses are cute...but heck, I watch to see the contestants, not the chefs.

I figured Josh wouldn't make it...his eyes are waaaaaay too sad, and I think I need to see him with his rock band...can't quite hang my hat on that picture.
    and way back up there ^ I agree...enough of the ethnic shows...just good cooking, and if there are some ethnic flavors, all well and good...I don't watch Aarti [can't believe she won]...don't watch the Mexican chick...avoid the couple from the south [can't remember their names]...just good cooking...PLEASE!!

4. Suzy says:

Oh man, I can't believe they actually sent a Giada team member home, when Alton's chef Martie was clearly not up to the task, in any way. And I'm not even a big supporter of Josh, but this was so transparent. I guess they thought Alton would have a melt down since he seems to take any criticisms of his team so personally. I felt when he picked his team he was going to be sorry.
    And by the way, the complaining of Michele about Giada STARING at her was really unworthy of the producers - totally fabricated filler.

5. Fordmandalay says:

Wow, I used to enjoy watching Alton Brown's 'Good Eats', and thought he was smart and funny. But watching him on FNS, he's clearly an angry, mean, bitter a-hole. Seriously, who the hell does he think he is, that gives him the right to be so incredibly rude to the contestants? He can't even be bothered to shave himself before the taping - it looked like he was angry because someone woke him up from a 3 day drunk. I finally turned the show off after his rude screed to Martie, and I won't be watching the show again. Or ANY show with him in it, anymore. Despicable.

• Tia says:

Yep, AB looked and acted like he woke up on the wrong side of the crypt. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he didn't smile to conceal his fangs. His suits hide his bat wings.

6. Melissa says:

I like one of the comments...no more Latina chicks or Italian food shows. the network has enough. I say go with the Hawaiian dude...now that show I would watch...last season hit a home run with Jeff and his Sandwich King show...something different is always good. I watch a lot of Food Network and Cooking Channel while I work at home on my computer and new cuisines are desperately needed on the food channels.

7. Suzy says:

One more comment:
    I think it is wrong to subject these chefs - who are trying out for their own cooking show - NOT Chopped - to be forced to perform like they are on Chopped. Perhaps you need to come up with some new ideas, and/or use ideas from former shows that helped the judges make their choice for the next star.

8. Lisa says:

I have been a big fan of food network for many years and have felt that I have learned much and improved greatly as a home cook. I have also watched every season of FN Star. I am not sure yet that I like this different approach this year. I use to be a huge Alton Brown fan, he was more easy going and I felt comfortable learning from him, but in recent years he now he comes across as an arrogant know-it-all and makes me feel uncomfortable, and especially in this season. He might have once come across a mentor, but no longer. Giada, she is okay. She has some great recipes, but most of the time she comes off fake to me. Bobby, in years past, seemed liked a chef, not really so much as teacher or tv personality, over the years he has evolved for me and has become more likable and genuine. In this show, he comes across as someone who really wants his team makes to succeed. If Giada and Alton were more like Bobby in their roles as mentors I think I would like this format much better- for now it's mostly uncomfortable.

• tam says:

I used to adore Alton, but it seems like he got cranky after he lost the weight. Everywhere I see him on tv, he just doesn't seem *happy* anymore. I miss the old AB. Much rather have him back than this preachy, grumpy, scowling Alton.

9. PLuu says:

So after seeing a few comments, I'm not surprised to see that I'm not just the only one who HATES the new format of the Next Food Network Star. I've been a loyal fan since the very first season and it's been going downhill since the 4th season. This year is by far the worst. Giada is my most favorite chef on Food Network. When she first mentored an episode in season 2, she was so nice and supportive to all of the contestants. In this one, she seems so bossy and intimidating (same with Alton). I can't believe I would say this about her but I don't like her attitudes nor her contestant selections (besides with Ippy). The NFNS is now becoming sort of a reality TV show to merely gain audiences' attention but not so much about finding stars. I hate it when I watch a TV show or a movie and can immediately tell what's going to happen. I'm not a smarty pants but I knew that Josh would be eliminated tonight. I knew that the 3 people who would make the bottom 3. And I knew that Bob and Susie will eliminate one person from each team each week by turns so that way the 3 mentors Bobby, Giada, and Alton will still be present throughout the whole show.
    The whole concept of camera challenge is almost nonexistent. Only the ones up for elimination get to do a camera challenge. This is freaking bogus. I also hate how the mentors give cooking methods to the members to give them advantage. For instance, Giada told Linkie that she needs more ricotta than cream cheese in a canoli. This is unfair! Isn't it supposed to be about their culinary expertise? There has got to be a limit on what information the mentors can give the team members. They can give advice but they should not be involved in the recipe execution.
    I can go on for hours about how much this season's NFNS disappoints me as well as some other viewers out there. I was so thrilled about the show and now it sucks to see Giada trying to save Josh's butt when she realizes that he doesn't have the food chop and that the other two contestants on the other two teams are far more deserving. This just goes to show that if someone takes the competition too far, they become self-absorbed and denial of what is really important: a true star, a great personality for the network. TNFS has officially lost my interest.

• Tia says:

So Long (as in the length of your post).

• Jerilee says:

Too long, what's your point?

• beachinfrizzy says:

What got me was that Martie's 'tip' about using the two grill pans on top of each other came straight from Alton! And Bobby told Nikki she needed to add more liquid smoke otherwise the judges wouldn't be able to taste it. I guess nothing Giada could do to keep Josh from using a zillion random ingredients and talking so much about himself that he didn't have time to talk about the food! So as long as all three mentors are allowed to 'help', I guess that makes it fair because its up to the contestant to listen and learn (or not)?

10. Barb says:

Please, someone tell Justin and Yvan to lose the heavy make up. I so would not watch either of them. Some make up may be necessary for tv, but there is a limit.